GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Battalion Wars (Game Cube/Wii)"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Battalion Wars'.
Wed 18/04/07 at 12:59
Regular
"Captain to you."
I some how missed the whole Game Cube thing, in fact I didn’t buy any of the consoles that generation, I was off on my shiny gaming PC, saving the world from terrorists (one map at a time) in Counter Strike or seeing just many zombies I could pin to a wall in Painkiller.

This means that I have missed out on some true gems of gaming, something that was wrong and I am now putting right (like an episode of Quantum Leap only I have to spend money).

Battalion Wars first came to my attention when I was scouting for new titles to look forward to on my Wii, Battalion Wars 2 is due out later this year and I had seen a few videos and thought, if there is a 2 there must be a 1 somewhere which needs to be played.

After a fair bit of hunting I found a copy on Ebay as frankly shops are trying to rip you off with the price of most Game Cube games. Amazon.co.uk wanted £37.99 for it, which now I have played it seems like a fair price really.

This is probably the most fun I have had on a home console games since Twilight Princess at Christmas, there is something about the cartoony look of all the units and structures that just sets it apart from other war games. The graphics are pretty good and to be honest far better than I had expected.

Every mission offers you something a little different, you are placed in charge of a Battalion but unlike other games where you might have the same basic squad just with an addition here and there, within this game you will get a completely different set of units for every situation. You can jump to control any of your units and you can give them basic orders such as go here, follow me, hold your ground or fire on this target.

Although there is a draw back to the follow me option as if you switch to a unit at the back of a group, like a tank for example all your units will turn on the spot and try to get behind you, often leading to them running under your tracks and taking a small amount of damage.

The sounds in the game is pretty basic but makes for an entertaining game, such as yelps when enemies get shot or witty commentary from commanders over the radio. On the odd occasion some of the troops will comment on how cold it is in winter maps or that they would like to go on holiday here in tropical ones. It’s the little things that make it fun.

There is a pretty wide rage of units to control from Infantry soldiers to Fighter Jets to Heavy Tanks, but as I said before you are given a different squad each time meaning you are limited to the units the game decides you will use which is a bit of a downside as there are some maps where you would like to just jump in a jet and shoot some pesky helicopters down but instead you have to stand on the floor with 8 other anti-air troops and fire your homing missiles in to the sky.

The main thing that would have probably made this game even better would have be either a 2 player co-op mode or a Vs. mode to keep it going after you finish the main campaigns. The Wii version later this year is said to have multiplayer built in so hopefully it will be online multiplayer.

I have a few friends that have Game Cubes and yet this seems to be one game that went past them, I’d say defiantly get this if you have a Wii or a Game Cube, it’s hours of fun, but it is also pretty challenging at times, there have been a few missions that I had to repeat 2-3 times to get right.

Well worth a look, if you can find it at a reasonable price.
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Wed 18/04/07 at 12:59
Regular
"Captain to you."
I some how missed the whole Game Cube thing, in fact I didn’t buy any of the consoles that generation, I was off on my shiny gaming PC, saving the world from terrorists (one map at a time) in Counter Strike or seeing just many zombies I could pin to a wall in Painkiller.

This means that I have missed out on some true gems of gaming, something that was wrong and I am now putting right (like an episode of Quantum Leap only I have to spend money).

Battalion Wars first came to my attention when I was scouting for new titles to look forward to on my Wii, Battalion Wars 2 is due out later this year and I had seen a few videos and thought, if there is a 2 there must be a 1 somewhere which needs to be played.

After a fair bit of hunting I found a copy on Ebay as frankly shops are trying to rip you off with the price of most Game Cube games. Amazon.co.uk wanted £37.99 for it, which now I have played it seems like a fair price really.

This is probably the most fun I have had on a home console games since Twilight Princess at Christmas, there is something about the cartoony look of all the units and structures that just sets it apart from other war games. The graphics are pretty good and to be honest far better than I had expected.

Every mission offers you something a little different, you are placed in charge of a Battalion but unlike other games where you might have the same basic squad just with an addition here and there, within this game you will get a completely different set of units for every situation. You can jump to control any of your units and you can give them basic orders such as go here, follow me, hold your ground or fire on this target.

Although there is a draw back to the follow me option as if you switch to a unit at the back of a group, like a tank for example all your units will turn on the spot and try to get behind you, often leading to them running under your tracks and taking a small amount of damage.

The sounds in the game is pretty basic but makes for an entertaining game, such as yelps when enemies get shot or witty commentary from commanders over the radio. On the odd occasion some of the troops will comment on how cold it is in winter maps or that they would like to go on holiday here in tropical ones. It’s the little things that make it fun.

There is a pretty wide rage of units to control from Infantry soldiers to Fighter Jets to Heavy Tanks, but as I said before you are given a different squad each time meaning you are limited to the units the game decides you will use which is a bit of a downside as there are some maps where you would like to just jump in a jet and shoot some pesky helicopters down but instead you have to stand on the floor with 8 other anti-air troops and fire your homing missiles in to the sky.

The main thing that would have probably made this game even better would have be either a 2 player co-op mode or a Vs. mode to keep it going after you finish the main campaigns. The Wii version later this year is said to have multiplayer built in so hopefully it will be online multiplayer.

I have a few friends that have Game Cubes and yet this seems to be one game that went past them, I’d say defiantly get this if you have a Wii or a Game Cube, it’s hours of fun, but it is also pretty challenging at times, there have been a few missions that I had to repeat 2-3 times to get right.

Well worth a look, if you can find it at a reasonable price.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.