GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Command and Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars (PC)"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars'.
Wed 18/04/07 at 12:35
Regular
"Captain to you."
I doubt there are many gamers there that haven’t at some point in their lives had a bash on a Command and Conquer game. For most people Command and Conquer was probably the first time they had played a RTS(Real Time Strategy) game.

The only real problem with Command and Conquer games is that they are Command and Conquer games, no matter what the main story line to the campaigns in single player or what graphical improvements they make, none of them feel very different from previous titles. Admittedly this works for the franchise, drawing in the same old crowd, but I think it probably puts a fair few people off getting them as it’s nothing new.

Graphically this is a fair step up from C&C: Generals, lighting is much improved with every unit casting shadows and a little more effort has been put in to the unit models as well as some neat laser effects thrown in for good measure. Explosions are quite impressive and buildings take damage much more realistically with parts flying off.

The levels seem quite well thought out, rather than relying heavily on terrain (cliffs/hills) to split the map up buildings are used as many of the maps take place within a city environment, this gives a much better look to the maps.

The sound in RTS games in my opinion has never really been that good. It’s difficult to put in 5.1 as your view is normally so high up and so listening for what is around you isn’t really needed. C&C 3 is full of repeating sound effects that made me put on some music as it’s not often you need to hear them.

It was nice to see some live action cut scenes in between levels, the funniest of which was Sawyer from lost, all dolled up in armour and a cape pretending to be serious about the up coming campaign. There are quite a few known “stars” in the cut scenes, including some of the cast of Battlestar Galactica and someone who’s only role I remember is him being in Starship Troopers (although I’m sure he has done more).

The missions of the single player campaign will in many cases remind you of missions you have played through on previous C&C games. I am guessing that they have taken a look at what fans enjoyed and tried to recreate it in their new and improved game engine.

Most of the units are pretty similar to some of the other games, but with one or two new ones and some units have the ability to get upgrades, making them far better than they were before.

As usual the key to success is watching your power bar and keeping up your defences. Power plants will be a building you create several of in most games, as without power your base is pretty useless.

Although it’s not offering anything revolutionary to the RTS genre, it is still a solid game and probably will worth getting if you have enjoyed previous Command and Conquer titles, base defences are weaker than in Generals so sitting back to build an army isn’t quite as easy as before, graphically it’s a big improvement and worth setting to high if your PC will allow it, and I was pretty impressed that most levels took about 10 seconds to load, a very rare feature these days.
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Wed 18/04/07 at 12:35
Regular
"Captain to you."
I doubt there are many gamers there that haven’t at some point in their lives had a bash on a Command and Conquer game. For most people Command and Conquer was probably the first time they had played a RTS(Real Time Strategy) game.

The only real problem with Command and Conquer games is that they are Command and Conquer games, no matter what the main story line to the campaigns in single player or what graphical improvements they make, none of them feel very different from previous titles. Admittedly this works for the franchise, drawing in the same old crowd, but I think it probably puts a fair few people off getting them as it’s nothing new.

Graphically this is a fair step up from C&C: Generals, lighting is much improved with every unit casting shadows and a little more effort has been put in to the unit models as well as some neat laser effects thrown in for good measure. Explosions are quite impressive and buildings take damage much more realistically with parts flying off.

The levels seem quite well thought out, rather than relying heavily on terrain (cliffs/hills) to split the map up buildings are used as many of the maps take place within a city environment, this gives a much better look to the maps.

The sound in RTS games in my opinion has never really been that good. It’s difficult to put in 5.1 as your view is normally so high up and so listening for what is around you isn’t really needed. C&C 3 is full of repeating sound effects that made me put on some music as it’s not often you need to hear them.

It was nice to see some live action cut scenes in between levels, the funniest of which was Sawyer from lost, all dolled up in armour and a cape pretending to be serious about the up coming campaign. There are quite a few known “stars” in the cut scenes, including some of the cast of Battlestar Galactica and someone who’s only role I remember is him being in Starship Troopers (although I’m sure he has done more).

The missions of the single player campaign will in many cases remind you of missions you have played through on previous C&C games. I am guessing that they have taken a look at what fans enjoyed and tried to recreate it in their new and improved game engine.

Most of the units are pretty similar to some of the other games, but with one or two new ones and some units have the ability to get upgrades, making them far better than they were before.

As usual the key to success is watching your power bar and keeping up your defences. Power plants will be a building you create several of in most games, as without power your base is pretty useless.

Although it’s not offering anything revolutionary to the RTS genre, it is still a solid game and probably will worth getting if you have enjoyed previous Command and Conquer titles, base defences are weaker than in Generals so sitting back to build an army isn’t quite as easy as before, graphically it’s a big improvement and worth setting to high if your PC will allow it, and I was pretty impressed that most levels took about 10 seconds to load, a very rare feature these days.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.