GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Who are your best 11 players?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 30/10/01 at 19:21
Regular
Ok, now you'll laugh at this team, but I usually think it's best if the players can understand what they're being told by their team mates, hence, I'll give you 11 of the best English players whom I feel are world class.

"Avant sur la line! Vite! Mon dieu..." "You wah mate?"

See?

By the way, I will not play a 4-4-2, I'll confuse things and use a 3-4-1-2, just to be awkward.

Goalkeeper:

There are many fantastic keepers in England, but then most of them are foreign, so I'll have to select a keeper based on his form at one of the most improved clubs in the country, and in fact the world - Paul Robinson would be my choice. He kept his cool for Leeds when they were several players down through injury and he proved that he's one of the best young keepers in the world, and will almost certainly become an England regular. Move over Nigel, Mr Robinson is the man.

Right centre back:

As we have three defenders here, I'm going to have to select a player that many of you may or may not have heard of, he's young, incredibly fast and is a great buy on Championship Manager... Dean Keates is a super star. In real life he's one of the freshest young talents in the business (yep, football is now a business) and I can for see him being an England player within the next few years. Plays for Walsall, I think, I'd put him in this England 11.

Centre Centre back:

There're many superb central defenders in England, many as strong as an ox (probably a very small ox), and some who have superb precision when tackling (Jaap Stam), great shooting skills and a goal scoring ability (i.e. Matt Elliot) and some who can combine a vast range of skills and attributes making them the obvious choice. I'll have to pick Sol Campbell - he's one of the best in the world, he knows it - hence £20million in four years, and there isn't a striker alive that doesn't fear him when playing. Top defender, Settling in well for the Gunners.

Left Centre back:

The well known fact that there are less left handed people compared to right handed people is also true when it comes to football, in terms of which side you are - right footed or left, or both, but I'm again going to have to select an Arsenal player, someone who performed the most amazing sliding challenge I have ever witnessed in my life, and that player is Ashley Cole. He'll be a regular England full team international and he's already shown he can score, run and make sublime tackles. Fresh talent from Arsenal, there isn't a better English left back.

Right midfield:

I could tell you in two words: David Beckham. But I'll explain why as well. Despite having a limited vocabulary he's one of our finest sports people in the world - an astounding set piece taker, Beckham is also one of the best play makers in the country, he's a superb asset for our national squad and he'll make a great captain, as he has shown so far. With the new signings at Old Trafford, I can only see his game being improved with Veron and Van Nistlerooy joining the Champions for the 2001/2002 season. No one can take better free kicks - he's consistent, accurate and you wouldn't want to be marking him! Against Greece David Beckham ran 14km, saved the best free kick till the end, and stole the show. He's impeccable.

Centre midfield:

When it comes down to English central midfielders it takes a while to think of who would actually play there, who have we got? In my honest view I would say Steven Gerard should play in this position, if he doesn't already, as he's one of the country's best young stars with tremendous ability, strength and speed - at Liverpool he has one of the best clubs to play and develop at, a superb youth academy and a squad of naturally gifted stars. Michael Owen and Gerrard in the same team? Unstoppable...

Centre midfield:

Although he's more of an attacking player, I would include Paul Scholes in every single world 11 so he should be in the England 11 for sure. I believe Scholes is the best all round England player, he's got incredible shooting skills, determination, link up play and he can actually think. You rarely see him talking to the press at the end of the game, he keeps a low profile, but Scholes is one of our best, and I mean that. So what if he's ginger! Brilliant player, he'd fit in well with this team.

Left midfield:

Yikes, who's a left sided English midfielder? Other than Chris Powell! Ok, you won't like me for this, I don't really care though - I'd put Darren Huckerby in this position, I don't really care what he thinks about it - I know he'd make an excellent left midfielder. He's got blistering pace, superbly slick footwork and can cross the ball well. He's been moved around a lot, was incredible at Coventry, but now his status has dropped. Bring him back to the Premiership - Huckerby had a unique flare and style of play.

Attacking midfielder - central:

I'm playing a crazy formation here anyway, so I may as well just put someone like...Nick Barmby! Wah! Yep, that's right I'd play Nick Barmby there every time, simply because he's a superb footballer. He has experience, a proven goal scoring record and would support the two strikers admirably, so no one else deserves this spot more than him.

Striker:

I'm tempted to put Michael Owen in this position because of his astonishing speed, finishing and age - he's young, bright and always delivers for his Merseyside club. Yes Michael Owen is every bit as good as they said he was back in 1998 - remember that goal against Argentina in the Quarterfinal? No? Well you should because it was stunning. Owen practically single handily won Liverpool the FA Cup scoring 2 late goals, outpacing the entire Arsenal defence, the awake ones anyway. Owen is still young and already has a wealth of experience behind him. Top player. So far he's scored arond 15 goals, loads for England, he's a star.

Striker:

Perhaps not an obvious choice, but being a Blackburn devotee I would put the brilliant Matt Jansen in the other striker position, ahead of players like Fowler, Heskey, Cole and Alan Smith. Why? Because it's my team and my decision! No really, Matt Jansen vowed to play in the Premiership after last season's division one promotion and he's made it possible with Blackburn. He can score from every angle, again is very fast indeed, and has one of the best volleys in the game.

There you go! That's my World 11 with English players only - cheers.

Dan
Tue 30/10/01 at 19:21
Ok, now you'll laugh at this team, but I usually think it's best if the players can understand what they're being told by their team mates, hence, I'll give you 11 of the best English players whom I feel are world class.

"Avant sur la line! Vite! Mon dieu..." "You wah mate?"

See?

By the way, I will not play a 4-4-2, I'll confuse things and use a 3-4-1-2, just to be awkward.

Goalkeeper:

There are many fantastic keepers in England, but then most of them are foreign, so I'll have to select a keeper based on his form at one of the most improved clubs in the country, and in fact the world - Paul Robinson would be my choice. He kept his cool for Leeds when they were several players down through injury and he proved that he's one of the best young keepers in the world, and will almost certainly become an England regular. Move over Nigel, Mr Robinson is the man.

Right centre back:

As we have three defenders here, I'm going to have to select a player that many of you may or may not have heard of, he's young, incredibly fast and is a great buy on Championship Manager... Dean Keates is a super star. In real life he's one of the freshest young talents in the business (yep, football is now a business) and I can for see him being an England player within the next few years. Plays for Walsall, I think, I'd put him in this England 11.

Centre Centre back:

There're many superb central defenders in England, many as strong as an ox (probably a very small ox), and some who have superb precision when tackling (Jaap Stam), great shooting skills and a goal scoring ability (i.e. Matt Elliot) and some who can combine a vast range of skills and attributes making them the obvious choice. I'll have to pick Sol Campbell - he's one of the best in the world, he knows it - hence £20million in four years, and there isn't a striker alive that doesn't fear him when playing. Top defender, Settling in well for the Gunners.

Left Centre back:

The well known fact that there are less left handed people compared to right handed people is also true when it comes to football, in terms of which side you are - right footed or left, or both, but I'm again going to have to select an Arsenal player, someone who performed the most amazing sliding challenge I have ever witnessed in my life, and that player is Ashley Cole. He'll be a regular England full team international and he's already shown he can score, run and make sublime tackles. Fresh talent from Arsenal, there isn't a better English left back.

Right midfield:

I could tell you in two words: David Beckham. But I'll explain why as well. Despite having a limited vocabulary he's one of our finest sports people in the world - an astounding set piece taker, Beckham is also one of the best play makers in the country, he's a superb asset for our national squad and he'll make a great captain, as he has shown so far. With the new signings at Old Trafford, I can only see his game being improved with Veron and Van Nistlerooy joining the Champions for the 2001/2002 season. No one can take better free kicks - he's consistent, accurate and you wouldn't want to be marking him! Against Greece David Beckham ran 14km, saved the best free kick till the end, and stole the show. He's impeccable.

Centre midfield:

When it comes down to English central midfielders it takes a while to think of who would actually play there, who have we got? In my honest view I would say Steven Gerard should play in this position, if he doesn't already, as he's one of the country's best young stars with tremendous ability, strength and speed - at Liverpool he has one of the best clubs to play and develop at, a superb youth academy and a squad of naturally gifted stars. Michael Owen and Gerrard in the same team? Unstoppable...

Centre midfield:

Although he's more of an attacking player, I would include Paul Scholes in every single world 11 so he should be in the England 11 for sure. I believe Scholes is the best all round England player, he's got incredible shooting skills, determination, link up play and he can actually think. You rarely see him talking to the press at the end of the game, he keeps a low profile, but Scholes is one of our best, and I mean that. So what if he's ginger! Brilliant player, he'd fit in well with this team.

Left midfield:

Yikes, who's a left sided English midfielder? Other than Chris Powell! Ok, you won't like me for this, I don't really care though - I'd put Darren Huckerby in this position, I don't really care what he thinks about it - I know he'd make an excellent left midfielder. He's got blistering pace, superbly slick footwork and can cross the ball well. He's been moved around a lot, was incredible at Coventry, but now his status has dropped. Bring him back to the Premiership - Huckerby had a unique flare and style of play.

Attacking midfielder - central:

I'm playing a crazy formation here anyway, so I may as well just put someone like...Nick Barmby! Wah! Yep, that's right I'd play Nick Barmby there every time, simply because he's a superb footballer. He has experience, a proven goal scoring record and would support the two strikers admirably, so no one else deserves this spot more than him.

Striker:

I'm tempted to put Michael Owen in this position because of his astonishing speed, finishing and age - he's young, bright and always delivers for his Merseyside club. Yes Michael Owen is every bit as good as they said he was back in 1998 - remember that goal against Argentina in the Quarterfinal? No? Well you should because it was stunning. Owen practically single handily won Liverpool the FA Cup scoring 2 late goals, outpacing the entire Arsenal defence, the awake ones anyway. Owen is still young and already has a wealth of experience behind him. Top player. So far he's scored arond 15 goals, loads for England, he's a star.

Striker:

Perhaps not an obvious choice, but being a Blackburn devotee I would put the brilliant Matt Jansen in the other striker position, ahead of players like Fowler, Heskey, Cole and Alan Smith. Why? Because it's my team and my decision! No really, Matt Jansen vowed to play in the Premiership after last season's division one promotion and he's made it possible with Blackburn. He can score from every angle, again is very fast indeed, and has one of the best volleys in the game.

There you go! That's my World 11 with English players only - cheers.

Dan
Tue 30/10/01 at 20:29
roberto carlos, figo, zidane, totti, veron and rivaldo just some players who are far better than beckham at taking free kicks. he had about 8 or 9 goes before finally getting one in against greece against let's face it not a particularly world class keeper. now stick roberto carlos in there the best and most feared free kick taker in the world he'd have banged at least 5 or 6 of them past the keeper before he even knew roberto had kicked the ball. beckham is a good player but he is by no means the best by a long shot. he needs to improve his dribbling of the ball for a start
Tue 30/10/01 at 20:31
and it's a crying shame giggsy decided to play for wales instead of england cause then we'd have a great midfield of giggs, beckham, scholes and gerrard. now that's a world class midfield
Tue 30/10/01 at 22:57
Regular
"360: swfcman"
You have to feel sorry for Giggs, wanting to play for his country, when there not very good at all.

And hes such a good player, shame really.
Tue 30/10/01 at 23:49
Regular
Vieira? Henry not your top 11?
Wed 31/10/01 at 01:47
Regular
Sniper[UK¾] wrote:
> Vieira? Henry not your top 11?

He did say ENGLISH only players didnt he? or did he say english speaking? i dunno...

heres my world 11 anyway.

GK: Toldo
LB: Rob carlos
RB: Thurame
DC: Stam
DC: Nesta
RW: Beckham
LW: Giggs
MC: Vieira
MC: Keane
FC: Ronaldo
FC: Van Nistelrooy.
Wed 31/10/01 at 12:17
Regular
"I love Dave music"
I'm not sure about the truth surrounding this, but this is the reasons I heard for Giggs playing for Wales:

Basically, although he is Welsh, Giggs played for England up to u-21's. (He was 16 or 17 at the time). At the time Graham Taylor was England manager. But he wouldn't call Giggs up to the full squad, even though he had broken into the United team. Giggs saw the rest of his team-mates going off to play for their countries, and wanted to do the same, so when Wales offered him full international matches, which Taylor wouldn't, he took the chance.

I hope that someone knows this is wrong, and that Giggs actually just wanted to play for Wales. But I wonder if there is any truth behind it. And can you imagine what England would have been like with Giggs?

By the way, best England team, (playing your 3-4-1-2 formation)

Martyn (based on current form, although I agree Robinson will be there soon)
Brown, Ferdinand, Campbell (not a great fan of Campbell, but there isn't really anyone else)

Beckham, Gerrard, Scholes, Joe Cole (I think Cole deserves the chance to play on the left)

McManaman (Never performs for England because he's always played out on the wing and told to stay there, move him inside and his dribbling will cause problems. Lets face it, anyone who KEEPS getting back into the Real side must have some quality!)

Owen and Fowler (I think Heskey is over rated, Robbie should leave Liverpool, get some first team football, and he'll be first choice come Japan/Korea)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.