GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[GAME] All-in-one Gamebox Review [iPhone/iPod Touch]"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 02/06/10 at 14:35
"possibly impossible"
All-in-One Gamebox

“They can’t be any good” was my first thought when I saw the 19 games in one app on sale for 59p. But luckily I went ahead and bought it anyway.

Now I’d seen bad compilations before, I still shudder at the thought of those charity Spectrum tapes with basic coded games of horse racing and dice games but I was very surprised to find that Triniti Interactive had created a range of playable and fun games, especially considering the price and the fact that some of these same games are still selling at 59p each.

Since then they’ve been adding more games every month and the current total is 32 games, with the latest releases getting better and better.

The best way to review this app, though, is to go through each of the games, complete with the short description from the company themselves;

AC-130 Spectre
“The Pentagon has dispatched your AC-130 Spectre to provide close air support for US ground forces near the border between Pakistan and India. Man the guns on the deadliest weapon in the sky...”

A top down sniper game which allows you to blow up buildings and people from above, good graphics, but gameplay is basic. It’s fun in short bursts.

Ada's Hospital
“Funds are tight and time is short! Help Ada save her hospital!”

A time-management game where you need to see patients and make money each day to keep your hospital open. Cute cartoon graphics and fiendish Theme Park style gameplay make it well worth playing. A little short at only 30 levels though.

Ancient War
“Lead your ancient army to conquer enemy tribes in this side-scrolling tower defense game.”

Fun Castle defence game, send your army out to counter the army coming from the right hand side and then take their castle. The game takes you through the ages conquering more and more advanced civilisations as you go. This is one of the highlights of the whole package for me, a great game that I wouldn’t be surprised to see on it’s own at a higher price.

Archer
“Join us for the first fully 3D archery experience in the App Store!”

A bit like Archery on Wii Sports, this is a tilt and touch game that starts of easy but gives you a lot of challenge on later levels. Great fun and nice colourful 3D graphics.

1945 Ace Destroyer
“Classic arcade style WWII fighter simulation.”

Like Afterburner or Space Harrier set in WWII. Very playable tilt based 3D flying game.

Blighted Earth
“Tower defense is here. Dig in, get your towers up, the onslaught is coming…”

If you’ve played Fieldrunners this will be familiar. Very familiar in fact. It’s pretty much a carbon copy of the game and that’s no bad thing. I love my Tower Defence games and this one is very playable.

Bowman Attack
“Duke it out in this RPG take on Worms TM!”

Like Worms Lite with only 2 players, but equally as mad weapons (a mouse!), great fun.

Bowman Defense
“Defend your castle, noble archer, with poison, fire, and ice!”

Castle defence game where you as a lone archer have to defend your castle against the hordes. It’s one of the better castle defence games out there with some nice sharp graphics and plenty of different weapons to unlock.

Bubble Master
“A simple bubble shooter with unique animation style.”

Pang! For beginners. Not that that’s a bad thing, I love pang!

Chicks
“The best lemmings-style game in the App Store!”
It might seem like a big boast but Chicks IS Lemmings, just without the Lemmings themselves. Everything you know and love about Lemmings is here, bar the catchy music.

Climber
“Latch onto the platforms above & escape the crime infested ruins of a dilapidated city.”
Climber games seem to be big on the app store at the moment and this is a pretty good take on the wall climbing genre. Very playable if a little samey after a while.

Get Rich
“It's raining money from the sky, hurry and strike it rich now!”
Like one of those old mad Game and Watch games, all you need to do is run left and right to collect coins. It’s a ‘fun for five minutes’ game.

Hell Flyer
“Swing from one stalactite to the next as you avoid the smoldering lava below!”
Platform arcade game, quite fun though could do with more variety of backgrounds.

Hot Pursuit
“Time for some high-caliber road rage!”
It’s like I’m transported to the 80’s and playing Spy Hunter on the Spectrum again (albeit with better graphics).

Hired Gun
“Bring a steady hand and snipe the cartoon baddies before time runs out! “
Find the correct taget and use your stickman sniper to take them out. A tricky little arcade sniper game, very good.

iKungFu Master
“Upgrade your skills and annihilate sinister bosses!”
Stickman hack and slash style beat-em-up. Basic but fun and with some lovely enemies to hack to bits.

iPuppy Husky
“Care for & play with a Husky Puppy in Full 3D!”
Nintendogs basically. It’s pretty amazing though what can be done on a budget. My kids love this as much as they loved Nintendogs, it’s that good.

Iron Commando
“Jump into this Contra™ inspired platformer & score some power-ups!”
Hard but good sideways shooting platform game. It’s just like those 80’s games where everyone comes at you and you need quick reactions to kill them before they kill you.

iSniper
“The best-selling sniper original with over 12,000,000 downloads!”
A basic sniper game but some lovely drawn backgrounds. Despite the dodgy animation it’s nice to see proper sprites for the enemies.

iSniper 3D
“Get behind the scope and start racking up head-shots in this visually stunning take on modern warfare.”
One of the best sniper games on the app store, I had a job keeping a steady hand for the target but the levels are really well designed, with enemies hiding behind walls and cars.

iUFO Catcher
“It's the claw! Grab as many furry prizes as you can!”
Old fashioned machine like the ones found in old seaside arcades. Not very interesting but worth playing once.

Jailbreaker
“Jump and slide your way to freedom in this side-scroller!”

This is basically Canabalt in all but name and graphics. It’s a great little game to pass the time, just time your jumps and slides as you come across obstacles.

321! Jump!
“Jump from grassy platform to platform, but don't fall down!”
Good fun if a little basic (like a lot of the early games in this compilation), jump over platforms and avoid the octopus.

Knight's Odyssey
“Fight through a sea of armored enemies in this epic journey.”
Golden Axe done with stylised graphics. The virtual pad is a bit fiddly but it plays fairly well.

Neander Block
“Search for patterns of three and swap the right blocks! Gather resources and help your Neander Tribe claim new territory!”
You just knew there had to be a Match 3 style game in here, didn’t you? Still, if you have to have one on your iPhone then this is pretty good, if not outstanding.

Observer
“Spot the difference!”
Pretty much does what it says, ring the differences between two pictures. A good time-waster.

Operation iWolf
“Arcade style military third person shooter.”
Any guesses what this could be based on?! Yep, it’s an old style Sniper Action game. Faster than the stealth sniping games in this pack it’s a welcome addition and has a certain charm.

2009 Road Master
“Put the pedal to the metal in this race against time!”
Another Spy Hunter style 80’s arcade racer. Basic and fun but a little unfair at times with the random enemies often blocking the road.

Robo Rush
“Pound through blocks, eat power-ups, and squash baddies in this retro platformer.”
Mario with a cute robot in place of the short plumber. Controls are actually pretty good but the game is unbelievably cheeky for the way it rips off Nintendo’s platformer, down to the secret pipes and power-ups.

Star Marine
“Incinerate the alien hordes in this dual-stick shooter!”
Nice little shooting game all about how long you can survive against ever increasing waves of mucky aliens. Good fun though the virtual controls suffer a bit from being unresponsive at times.

The Sudoku Times
“Authentic newspaper Sudoku with 29,000 puzzles and news about you!”
Sudoku – plain and simple. Still, this will be enough for most to enjoy it.

Tomb Evader
“Scramble to escape from the top of a collapsing pyramid!”
Like an upside down Doodlejump where you need to tilt to move the man down past spikes and pits before the giant ball crushes you. Good fun but tricky.

Overall Impression
The majority of these games are very well put together with great animated intros and tons of character. It’s amazing that even half of these are here for this price but also that the list keeps growing. Ok, so there are a few duffers that you’ll play once and leave alone but the price is great even for a couple of the games here. Triniti Interactive has to be congratulated for putting such a lot of work into an app this cheap.

9/10
Wed 02/06/10 at 16:01
"possibly impossible"
Cool, let me know if you agree with my review.
Wed 02/06/10 at 14:53
Regular
Sold! Downloading it right now. :¬)
Wed 02/06/10 at 14:35
"possibly impossible"
All-in-One Gamebox

“They can’t be any good” was my first thought when I saw the 19 games in one app on sale for 59p. But luckily I went ahead and bought it anyway.

Now I’d seen bad compilations before, I still shudder at the thought of those charity Spectrum tapes with basic coded games of horse racing and dice games but I was very surprised to find that Triniti Interactive had created a range of playable and fun games, especially considering the price and the fact that some of these same games are still selling at 59p each.

Since then they’ve been adding more games every month and the current total is 32 games, with the latest releases getting better and better.

The best way to review this app, though, is to go through each of the games, complete with the short description from the company themselves;

AC-130 Spectre
“The Pentagon has dispatched your AC-130 Spectre to provide close air support for US ground forces near the border between Pakistan and India. Man the guns on the deadliest weapon in the sky...”

A top down sniper game which allows you to blow up buildings and people from above, good graphics, but gameplay is basic. It’s fun in short bursts.

Ada's Hospital
“Funds are tight and time is short! Help Ada save her hospital!”

A time-management game where you need to see patients and make money each day to keep your hospital open. Cute cartoon graphics and fiendish Theme Park style gameplay make it well worth playing. A little short at only 30 levels though.

Ancient War
“Lead your ancient army to conquer enemy tribes in this side-scrolling tower defense game.”

Fun Castle defence game, send your army out to counter the army coming from the right hand side and then take their castle. The game takes you through the ages conquering more and more advanced civilisations as you go. This is one of the highlights of the whole package for me, a great game that I wouldn’t be surprised to see on it’s own at a higher price.

Archer
“Join us for the first fully 3D archery experience in the App Store!”

A bit like Archery on Wii Sports, this is a tilt and touch game that starts of easy but gives you a lot of challenge on later levels. Great fun and nice colourful 3D graphics.

1945 Ace Destroyer
“Classic arcade style WWII fighter simulation.”

Like Afterburner or Space Harrier set in WWII. Very playable tilt based 3D flying game.

Blighted Earth
“Tower defense is here. Dig in, get your towers up, the onslaught is coming…”

If you’ve played Fieldrunners this will be familiar. Very familiar in fact. It’s pretty much a carbon copy of the game and that’s no bad thing. I love my Tower Defence games and this one is very playable.

Bowman Attack
“Duke it out in this RPG take on Worms TM!”

Like Worms Lite with only 2 players, but equally as mad weapons (a mouse!), great fun.

Bowman Defense
“Defend your castle, noble archer, with poison, fire, and ice!”

Castle defence game where you as a lone archer have to defend your castle against the hordes. It’s one of the better castle defence games out there with some nice sharp graphics and plenty of different weapons to unlock.

Bubble Master
“A simple bubble shooter with unique animation style.”

Pang! For beginners. Not that that’s a bad thing, I love pang!

Chicks
“The best lemmings-style game in the App Store!”
It might seem like a big boast but Chicks IS Lemmings, just without the Lemmings themselves. Everything you know and love about Lemmings is here, bar the catchy music.

Climber
“Latch onto the platforms above & escape the crime infested ruins of a dilapidated city.”
Climber games seem to be big on the app store at the moment and this is a pretty good take on the wall climbing genre. Very playable if a little samey after a while.

Get Rich
“It's raining money from the sky, hurry and strike it rich now!”
Like one of those old mad Game and Watch games, all you need to do is run left and right to collect coins. It’s a ‘fun for five minutes’ game.

Hell Flyer
“Swing from one stalactite to the next as you avoid the smoldering lava below!”
Platform arcade game, quite fun though could do with more variety of backgrounds.

Hot Pursuit
“Time for some high-caliber road rage!”
It’s like I’m transported to the 80’s and playing Spy Hunter on the Spectrum again (albeit with better graphics).

Hired Gun
“Bring a steady hand and snipe the cartoon baddies before time runs out! “
Find the correct taget and use your stickman sniper to take them out. A tricky little arcade sniper game, very good.

iKungFu Master
“Upgrade your skills and annihilate sinister bosses!”
Stickman hack and slash style beat-em-up. Basic but fun and with some lovely enemies to hack to bits.

iPuppy Husky
“Care for & play with a Husky Puppy in Full 3D!”
Nintendogs basically. It’s pretty amazing though what can be done on a budget. My kids love this as much as they loved Nintendogs, it’s that good.

Iron Commando
“Jump into this Contra™ inspired platformer & score some power-ups!”
Hard but good sideways shooting platform game. It’s just like those 80’s games where everyone comes at you and you need quick reactions to kill them before they kill you.

iSniper
“The best-selling sniper original with over 12,000,000 downloads!”
A basic sniper game but some lovely drawn backgrounds. Despite the dodgy animation it’s nice to see proper sprites for the enemies.

iSniper 3D
“Get behind the scope and start racking up head-shots in this visually stunning take on modern warfare.”
One of the best sniper games on the app store, I had a job keeping a steady hand for the target but the levels are really well designed, with enemies hiding behind walls and cars.

iUFO Catcher
“It's the claw! Grab as many furry prizes as you can!”
Old fashioned machine like the ones found in old seaside arcades. Not very interesting but worth playing once.

Jailbreaker
“Jump and slide your way to freedom in this side-scroller!”

This is basically Canabalt in all but name and graphics. It’s a great little game to pass the time, just time your jumps and slides as you come across obstacles.

321! Jump!
“Jump from grassy platform to platform, but don't fall down!”
Good fun if a little basic (like a lot of the early games in this compilation), jump over platforms and avoid the octopus.

Knight's Odyssey
“Fight through a sea of armored enemies in this epic journey.”
Golden Axe done with stylised graphics. The virtual pad is a bit fiddly but it plays fairly well.

Neander Block
“Search for patterns of three and swap the right blocks! Gather resources and help your Neander Tribe claim new territory!”
You just knew there had to be a Match 3 style game in here, didn’t you? Still, if you have to have one on your iPhone then this is pretty good, if not outstanding.

Observer
“Spot the difference!”
Pretty much does what it says, ring the differences between two pictures. A good time-waster.

Operation iWolf
“Arcade style military third person shooter.”
Any guesses what this could be based on?! Yep, it’s an old style Sniper Action game. Faster than the stealth sniping games in this pack it’s a welcome addition and has a certain charm.

2009 Road Master
“Put the pedal to the metal in this race against time!”
Another Spy Hunter style 80’s arcade racer. Basic and fun but a little unfair at times with the random enemies often blocking the road.

Robo Rush
“Pound through blocks, eat power-ups, and squash baddies in this retro platformer.”
Mario with a cute robot in place of the short plumber. Controls are actually pretty good but the game is unbelievably cheeky for the way it rips off Nintendo’s platformer, down to the secret pipes and power-ups.

Star Marine
“Incinerate the alien hordes in this dual-stick shooter!”
Nice little shooting game all about how long you can survive against ever increasing waves of mucky aliens. Good fun though the virtual controls suffer a bit from being unresponsive at times.

The Sudoku Times
“Authentic newspaper Sudoku with 29,000 puzzles and news about you!”
Sudoku – plain and simple. Still, this will be enough for most to enjoy it.

Tomb Evader
“Scramble to escape from the top of a collapsing pyramid!”
Like an upside down Doodlejump where you need to tilt to move the man down past spikes and pits before the giant ball crushes you. Good fun but tricky.

Overall Impression
The majority of these games are very well put together with great animated intros and tons of character. It’s amazing that even half of these are here for this price but also that the list keeps growing. Ok, so there are a few duffers that you’ll play once and leave alone but the price is great even for a couple of the games here. Triniti Interactive has to be congratulated for putting such a lot of work into an app this cheap.

9/10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.