GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Bigger Console........Bigger game?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 29/10/01 at 18:46
Regular
What does it mean to have the latest console? Is it just the 'status' or does it have a practical use for the future of gaming? I really would love to be able to afford a Playstation 2, and yet, I wonder, do the programmers really use the extra power, or are they lazy, and just do the usual re-release of the 'old' games on the new machine. I just need to be certain that the games match the hardware of Ps 2. Does the cd just make the game more pretty, or do the games last longer and is there more depth to the gameplay. After all, we part company of our hard earned cash, so it is only fair that they give us our moneys worth. Games are so expensive, that lazy programmers should not be tolerated. I am saying all this in the hope that someone can reassure me that it is worth handing over what I consider to be a lot of money. Please, would I regret it or not.
Mon 29/10/01 at 18:46
What does it mean to have the latest console? Is it just the 'status' or does it have a practical use for the future of gaming? I really would love to be able to afford a Playstation 2, and yet, I wonder, do the programmers really use the extra power, or are they lazy, and just do the usual re-release of the 'old' games on the new machine. I just need to be certain that the games match the hardware of Ps 2. Does the cd just make the game more pretty, or do the games last longer and is there more depth to the gameplay. After all, we part company of our hard earned cash, so it is only fair that they give us our moneys worth. Games are so expensive, that lazy programmers should not be tolerated. I am saying all this in the hope that someone can reassure me that it is worth handing over what I consider to be a lot of money. Please, would I regret it or not.
Mon 29/10/01 at 19:09
well the point in buying the new consoles is so that:
a) The console maker can get more money.
b) You can buy a console wich still has developers making games for it.
c) You can show off to youre mates that you have the money to buy it and make them jealouse.

There isn't tooo much point is there?
Mon 29/10/01 at 19:32
Regular
"Fat Red-Capped Vale"
Allow me to please analyse this post, as it brought up some rather intersting points here.

diceman56 wrote:
> What does it mean to have the latest console? Is it just the 'status' or does
> it have a practical use for the future of gaming

I believe that a lot of people who got a PS2 on or close to the day of release must have boasted to their friends about. It's like a choir that must be carried out. To me, it has a use, but not one intended for me, as I'm happy with my 3 consoles and personal computer thanks.

I wonder, do the programmers really use
> the extra power, or are they lazy, and just do the usual re-release of the 'old'
> games on the new machine.

I have thought of this many, many times. The N64 is a prime example. They claim that it's 64-bit, but do they really use it to it's full capacity? I don't think so! Really, if you compare it with the PS1, there's not much of a graphical difference. Could it just be a hypathetical mirage, that is disguised due to the small space on a cartridge, so the graphics have to be toned down.

I just need to be certain that the games match the
> hardware of Ps 2. Does the cd just make the game more pretty, or do the games
> last longer and is there more depth to the gameplay. After all, we part company
> of our hard earned cash, so it is only fair that they give us our moneys worth.
> Games are so expensive, that lazy programmers should not be tolerated. I am
> saying all this in the hope that someone can reassure me that it is worth
> handing over what I consider to be a lot of money. Please, would I regret it or
> not.

Of course, £200 is a lot of money to throw away in one fail swoop, so be sure that you spend your money correctly, and if you do, treasure it! Really, I can't blame programmers for having partial lasyness. I can bet that their job is packed to the rim with stress, much like many other jobs, so I say, cut them a little slack. I mean, could you realistically do any better? I doubt it.

Thanks for reading.
R@ckstar.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.