GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Championship Manager - The Game to Watch"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 29/10/01 at 18:35
Regular
Championship Manager - in my opinion the greatest era in gaming of all time. Nearly every manís childhood dream was to be a professional footballer. At about the age of 13, they realise that it was never meant to be. So their next dream was to be a manager (I know mine was anyway). Well now we have the chance to witness this experience in even more depth than before.

I first discovered this game when I was about 8 or 9 with the first ever Championship Manager while I was round my friendís house. Most die hard Champ Man fans will remember that one, where you were able to buy players, select your team and watch the game unfold with basic commentary. When I saw that game I was amazed and I never imagined they would go so far in the future.

As the series of games progressed, Eidos started to put the seasonís annual sates in the gameís title. This meant that every time a new one came out, you just had to have it. Not because there were new features but purely for the new players, signings and the expanded team selection. The second Champ Man was a stunner with commentary that you could listen to, player contracts that you controlled and the ability to take control of international teams.

Championship Manager 3 was the title before the latest one. In this one you could follow all the action of under 21s. The most impressive feature would have to be the ability to scout out budding new stars. Whether youíre managing a third division reject like Rushdon & Diamonds (no offence) or a world class business like Man Utd, you will need new players. Before this game, buying any type of player was a synch! Even if you were one of my favourite teams, Falkirk you could put in a good offer for players like David Beckham. In this one, players were harder than ever to purchase. You would mostly have to settle for some under 18 lad who has never been on a full size pitch before! But that was the beauty of the game. The players actually had thoughts and feelings. If you werenít playing a new signing, heíd tell you how he feels. If he didnít think he was fit to play or his dodgy knee was playing up; you wouldnít be allowed to play him. Itís not just like a Fifa game that you manage. The players actually have say in what happens. Some might say this is a bad thing when your Michael Owen or your Ronaldo gets put out of action for 6 months. But thatís just the stunning realism of the game.

You may be thinking this is just a historic review of Championship Manger and youíre probably right but thatís not the point Iím trying to make. For all of you who have got the newest Champ Man, imagine what Eidos will be creating in years to come. Will you actually be able take training sessions with your players? Maybe have say in what the club spends money on e.g. stadiums, players, prices etc. And possibly the best thing they could do is make graphics that would show the game as it happened on a pitch. It would be like watching the computer play itself at Fifa, while you sit back, enjoy the game and make the nessacery changes. In just three or four years of gaming and expanding this game, Eidos have created what we are playing today. Look at the progress they have made in this time and substitute it into 3 or 4 more years time. Championship Manager is the game to watch. Its progress is up there with Gran Turismo. Championship Manager fans, watch this space.
Mon 29/10/01 at 18:35
Championship Manager - in my opinion the greatest era in gaming of all time. Nearly every manís childhood dream was to be a professional footballer. At about the age of 13, they realise that it was never meant to be. So their next dream was to be a manager (I know mine was anyway). Well now we have the chance to witness this experience in even more depth than before.

I first discovered this game when I was about 8 or 9 with the first ever Championship Manager while I was round my friendís house. Most die hard Champ Man fans will remember that one, where you were able to buy players, select your team and watch the game unfold with basic commentary. When I saw that game I was amazed and I never imagined they would go so far in the future.

As the series of games progressed, Eidos started to put the seasonís annual sates in the gameís title. This meant that every time a new one came out, you just had to have it. Not because there were new features but purely for the new players, signings and the expanded team selection. The second Champ Man was a stunner with commentary that you could listen to, player contracts that you controlled and the ability to take control of international teams.

Championship Manager 3 was the title before the latest one. In this one you could follow all the action of under 21s. The most impressive feature would have to be the ability to scout out budding new stars. Whether youíre managing a third division reject like Rushdon & Diamonds (no offence) or a world class business like Man Utd, you will need new players. Before this game, buying any type of player was a synch! Even if you were one of my favourite teams, Falkirk you could put in a good offer for players like David Beckham. In this one, players were harder than ever to purchase. You would mostly have to settle for some under 18 lad who has never been on a full size pitch before! But that was the beauty of the game. The players actually had thoughts and feelings. If you werenít playing a new signing, heíd tell you how he feels. If he didnít think he was fit to play or his dodgy knee was playing up; you wouldnít be allowed to play him. Itís not just like a Fifa game that you manage. The players actually have say in what happens. Some might say this is a bad thing when your Michael Owen or your Ronaldo gets put out of action for 6 months. But thatís just the stunning realism of the game.

You may be thinking this is just a historic review of Championship Manger and youíre probably right but thatís not the point Iím trying to make. For all of you who have got the newest Champ Man, imagine what Eidos will be creating in years to come. Will you actually be able take training sessions with your players? Maybe have say in what the club spends money on e.g. stadiums, players, prices etc. And possibly the best thing they could do is make graphics that would show the game as it happened on a pitch. It would be like watching the computer play itself at Fifa, while you sit back, enjoy the game and make the nessacery changes. In just three or four years of gaming and expanding this game, Eidos have created what we are playing today. Look at the progress they have made in this time and substitute it into 3 or 4 more years time. Championship Manager is the game to watch. Its progress is up there with Gran Turismo. Championship Manager fans, watch this space.
Mon 29/10/01 at 18:47
Regular
hard core champo was the 97/98 champo when verybody got into it. It was fully installable which seemed like a cunning marketing strategy. Si basically wrote of 97/98 as everyone would borrow someone elses and install it and then they would get addicted and have to bu=y the future ones which weren't fully installable. Cunning SI.
Tue 30/10/01 at 17:17
I havn'y got the new one yet coz my comp wont accept it but is it fully installable?
Tue 30/10/01 at 18:06
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
Ahhh come on - you must remember some other management games too! I lost a whole summer along with two mates on Premier Manager 1 (later 2 and 3) on the Amiga. Ultimate Soccer Manager? The dodgy one where you could hand out bungs with transfers.

Had one really strange on where when something interesting happened it showed a little video footage. Thing was there were only about 10 different clips - so as soon as you saw one you knew what was going to happen.

Sensi World of Soccer had a rather dodgy management game (though the original game footie game was amazing).

Hmmmm... anyone else played F1 management games? I had the second release of one (can't remember the name) - it was surprisingly good. You got to wind tunnel the car and changes wheels, hire drivers, set gearing rations etc.
Tue 30/10/01 at 18:11
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Soccer Boss on the spectrum. Class stuff!

It had 'form' ratings, whereby a playes skill would go up and down permenantly.

Quick and easy. None of this 'two hours per match' rubbish.
Tue 30/10/01 at 19:08
Regular
"Fat Red-Capped Vale"
Thanks for the interesting review Mitchno1. I have never really had much luck or fun with the games. Plus, I have never really got into them or attempted to, even when the game was available to me. For instance, I have playedthe Premier Manager games on the PS1 and didn't exactly give them a thumbs up. However, the Championship Manager series may be a different side of the coin, as I have heard many good reports of it, for years gone by. Last year's Championship Manager sold like hot cakes, so I am being pushed to buy this game. What's even greater news, the Championship Manager for the X-Box can store up to 15,000 players! In fact, that is in line for one of my Gameaday wins (if I win, of course), or I could just buy it off Special Reserve, because they're great too! Thanks for reading. R@ckstar.
Tue 30/10/01 at 21:40
champ manager has also taught me alot bout real football players too. i'd never heard of players like martin palermo, javier saviola or ronaldinho before i played the game and here they are going to be starring for their countries in the next world cup. this shows how well researched champ manager is. the new fog of war system is great actually making you scout and get to know bout players before signing them just like in real life. can't wait for championship manager 4 and see how different it is that's gonna be awesome. no wonder CM is the best selling game series
Wed 31/10/01 at 01:56
Regular
Dr Gonzo wrote:

Sensi World of Soccer had a rather dodgy management game (though the
> original game footie game was amazing).

You really think so? I think the career mode on SWOS was the best thing to ever come out of a SWOS game. I spent many a summer playing this to death.
Wed 31/10/01 at 14:05
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
Yeah - admittedly we didn't give it as long as the others (the game of the time then, if I remember correctly, for us was Premier Manager 3).

It's that long ago I can't remember what was specifically wrong with it - I just know we tried it and weren't impressed - maybe it was our move from the Amiga to the PC that ultimately scuppered it's and Premier Manager's chances. It was various incarnations of Championship Manager all the way from then!
Wed 31/10/01 at 14:11
Regular
I suppose SWOS's career mode was only one player, which was a little set-back, but it was still quality. I still play it sometimes during the holidays. YOu can do all the major leagues in the world!

I never really got into any other management games. Its been Champo all the way for me. Although i did play Ultimate soccer manager for a few months back on the Amiga. BUt this game had a major flaw. Anyone else notice it? You could transfer list your players for stupid amounts of money (eg. £100,000,000) and teams would actually bid that much! where is gods name did all that money come from!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.