GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Multimedia"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 28/05/03 at 19:52
Regular
Shiny shiny new-model PS2.

While Ninty are hard to their 'gaming only' guns, Sony, who must be doing *something* right, seem to be nodding to an ever more multipurpose 'gaming and a bunch of other stuff' system as the future for the industry.

Microsoft are in a great position to do the same, except while Sony merge into entertainment, MS can blur console/pc boundaries a little more.

If this is the future, and it may well be, are ninty out in the 'gaming only' cold?

It doesn't have to be like that.
The Q is Nintendo's own foot in the 'entertainment centre' world, and collaboration with Panasonic is strengthened by the imminent (finally) launch of Ninty's SD memory cards adaptors, using Panasonic's SD cards.
Panasonic's range of expertise is on a par with Sony, and together the two companies could doubtless pull off a next-gen box of multi-purpose miracles.

But that's dependant on one thing.
Will Ninty *want* to expand beyond the gaming world?

They whinge about learning from their mistakes, but the company don't seem that great at avoiding new ones. It was third party support last time, image branding and advertising for this console.

Meanwhile it's not exactly certain whether multimedia really is the way to go, whether it'll actually be better / more successful than people buying separate equipment for their dvds, games and the like.

Added up, this doesn't look good for the odds of Ninty breaking away from 'gaming only'.

Maybe that'd be the right thing to do, allowing them to produce a cheaper product and recapture a more serious stake in the market.

Or it could sink them.

Amidst all the rumours and speculation it's hard to tell how healthy Nintendo are these days. Could they weather another underachieving console?
In my eyes, their success rate of late is comparable to pre-dreamcast Sega.

Maybe offering multimedia and straight gaming will work for them, a la the cube and Q.
It'd need to be pushed forward far more strongly than the Q was, and while the Q is great, if they fail to reacpture the machine's unique beauty, the multimedia Q2 wouldn't be such a prospect.

Hard times and difficult decisions to be made.
Lets hope Nintendo get it right this time.
Wed 28/05/03 at 23:03
Regular
F--- sony and f--- Microsoft.

They're both after a complete monopoly over the home entertainment sector.

I hope they kill each other off in the process.
Wed 28/05/03 at 22:18
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Oh, and reading the SR article about this PSX (and didn't everyone call the origianl PlayStation 'PSX' for short...? Did Sony just call this new one PSX to confuse everyone...?) it seems it will have interactivity with the PlayStation Portable... well, I wonder where they got that idea from...
Wed 28/05/03 at 22:13
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
I'm inclined to agree with WS... It'd be nice to see DVD playability on Ninty's next console if it's taking DVDs anyway. But the main factor of a console has to be the ability to play games. If a company start charging however much extra for the ability to digitally record TV, download music onto a hard drive or whatever, what use do I have for it? I have a VCR to record TV, and that practically never gets used anyway due to the lack of anything worth recording on TV... If I want to play games and listen to music I'll stick my console on and then stick on my CD player. I won't download all my CDs onto a hard drive and then play them back through my console...

Half these things seem more to be included more because of a desire to appear stylish and up to date than because of any real necessity. And they raise the price for those of us who don't want some multimedia device, but simply want a games console...
Wed 28/05/03 at 20:37
Regular
I don't like the 'everything in one' approach, not at all.

DVD, fair enough, it makes sense when you're using DVDs for the games anyway. Same with playing music.

But surfing the internet, watching TV, recording TV, storing images and all this crap is unnesecary. And what happens if you want to have more than one thing operating at once?
Wed 28/05/03 at 20:03
Regular
DVD and Surround Sound are crutial in my opinion. It helped me to choose the Xbox and since then I haven't looked back. Nintendo should have included a Dolby Digital chip because if it was looking towards the future then this is the way to go. Towards the end of the Dreamcast's life that was using Dolby surround in games, naturally it wasn't Dolby Digital but that was back then. Hopefully the new Nintendo system will have Dolby Digital support. DVD is also a must but it won't affect my decision on whether to get the new system. I will get the new Xbox and Nintendo console on the release date and unless Sony can impress me with a list of what they will dowith the PS3 that is all it will stay at.
Wed 28/05/03 at 19:59
Regular
To be honest, I believe Nintendo should of invested into the Panasonic Gamecube "Q", And released it over here in the UK, Maybe at a cheaper price.

Although many of you will come back with "The Gamecube is a games console, for playing games only" Well, Gaming is a form of entertainment, So an all in one entertainment system is what the public is looking for and got with the Xbox and PS2.

So. The future? Yes I agree Dr Duck. Nintendo needs to take home entertainment further.

DVD player? Yes.
Surround Sound Gaming? Yes.
Hard Drive? Yes.
Online gaming? Yes.

I hope Nintendo takes into consideration what the gaming public wants and needs.
Wed 28/05/03 at 19:57
"!Basement Clucking!"
Cant really say much else. Got it in one.

Gota admit though 'entertainment' systems are painfully expencive...
Wed 28/05/03 at 19:55
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Panasonic and Nintendo collaborating to produce the original console (ie, not like the 'cube spinoff) would be amazing. Bung in support from Namco, Sega and Konami.

And, er, Voilá.
Wed 28/05/03 at 19:52
Regular
Shiny shiny new-model PS2.

While Ninty are hard to their 'gaming only' guns, Sony, who must be doing *something* right, seem to be nodding to an ever more multipurpose 'gaming and a bunch of other stuff' system as the future for the industry.

Microsoft are in a great position to do the same, except while Sony merge into entertainment, MS can blur console/pc boundaries a little more.

If this is the future, and it may well be, are ninty out in the 'gaming only' cold?

It doesn't have to be like that.
The Q is Nintendo's own foot in the 'entertainment centre' world, and collaboration with Panasonic is strengthened by the imminent (finally) launch of Ninty's SD memory cards adaptors, using Panasonic's SD cards.
Panasonic's range of expertise is on a par with Sony, and together the two companies could doubtless pull off a next-gen box of multi-purpose miracles.

But that's dependant on one thing.
Will Ninty *want* to expand beyond the gaming world?

They whinge about learning from their mistakes, but the company don't seem that great at avoiding new ones. It was third party support last time, image branding and advertising for this console.

Meanwhile it's not exactly certain whether multimedia really is the way to go, whether it'll actually be better / more successful than people buying separate equipment for their dvds, games and the like.

Added up, this doesn't look good for the odds of Ninty breaking away from 'gaming only'.

Maybe that'd be the right thing to do, allowing them to produce a cheaper product and recapture a more serious stake in the market.

Or it could sink them.

Amidst all the rumours and speculation it's hard to tell how healthy Nintendo are these days. Could they weather another underachieving console?
In my eyes, their success rate of late is comparable to pre-dreamcast Sega.

Maybe offering multimedia and straight gaming will work for them, a la the cube and Q.
It'd need to be pushed forward far more strongly than the Q was, and while the Q is great, if they fail to reacpture the machine's unique beauty, the multimedia Q2 wouldn't be such a prospect.

Hard times and difficult decisions to be made.
Lets hope Nintendo get it right this time.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.