GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"'Cheapness' winning over quality?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 29/05/03 at 10:17
Regular
Is it just me or is 'cheapness' winning over 'quality'?

Some examples:

Acorn and Mac's losing out to PC (We're still on DOS!!)

n64/Dreamcast losing out to PS1

Shoddy PS2 drives

Feel free to add your own.
Thu 29/05/03 at 10:17
Regular
"8==="
Is it just me or is 'cheapness' winning over 'quality'?

Some examples:

Acorn and Mac's losing out to PC (We're still on DOS!!)

n64/Dreamcast losing out to PS1

Shoddy PS2 drives

Feel free to add your own.
Thu 29/05/03 at 10:20
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
Yeah, GC is thrashing everyone.

When Macs are 3 x the price of a much higher spec PC, you can't justify buying it. That's not 'cheapness', it's more accessibility and sensible pricing. Not to mention most people are more familiar with Windows and its programs.
Thu 29/05/03 at 10:25
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Mmmmm... iMac.

Anyway, if I won the lottery, I'd buy an iMac nearly straight away.

But since I won't, PC's are fine. Windows is fine (Well, it's alright) and I have all that I need at the moment...
Thu 29/05/03 at 10:36
Regular
El Blokey wrote:
> Yeah, GC is thrashing everyone.
>
> When Macs are 3 x the price of a much higher spec PC, you can't
> justify buying it. That's not 'cheapness', it's more accessibility and
> sensible pricing. Not to mention most people are more familiar with
> Windows and its programs.

Bit of a misunderstanding, since in almost every way, all major software like PhotoShop works the same on PC and Mac. The Mac even has "sticky" menus now like the PC. The word Exit changes to Quit, but I think most people could cope with that!

iMac 2 with the LCD screen is very cool.
Thu 29/05/03 at 10:38
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
Does Microsoft Office work (not a harsh statement, genuine question)? And the whole different OS is probably a bit of a jump. Still, the ridiculous price is...ridiculous.
Thu 29/05/03 at 11:56
Regular
El Blokey wrote:
> Does Microsoft Office work (not a harsh statement, genuine question)?
> And the whole different OS is probably a bit of a jump. Still, the
> ridiculous price is...ridiculous.

Microsoft Office version X works very well. Excel for Mac OS X also on the market.

As for the OS, you open drives and folders in the same way. Mac OS has a generic menu bar at the top of the screen, whereas Windows has one for each open folder. And for "make shortcut", on the Mac it's "make alias".
Thu 29/05/03 at 12:12
Regular
You are such a geek.
Thu 29/05/03 at 12:18
"!Basement Clucking!"
From my experience with iMacs....lets just say ive never really been impressed (not much of a computer buff though so all your fancy specs dont make me j*zz myself). Your paying for the fancy casing, because its 'cool' and modern, while your PC (admitedly) is the ugliest peice of hardware you have ever bought.
Thu 29/05/03 at 12:21
Regular
"poo poo for you!"
aka PS2? caned..
Thu 29/05/03 at 12:22
Regular
"8==="
If find it annoying that we have to use a PC. Using the archaic DOS when better systems are put aside. It's all due to companies going for the cheapest standard (and IBM's scare tactics), it's cost them over the years though!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.