GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Reason why we don't have a Release date by Dringo"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 28/10/01 at 18:22
Regular
The ammount of rubbish i see on the forums about Nintendo hating Europe and the Gamecube coming out in September.

Nintendo don't see us as a prority which is why we are last on the list we simply don't generate as much money as Japan and America for the Big N but they are not stupid. Witholding a release date is not in there interest gamers are getting bored and converting to the PS2 so as soon as they have a date they'll let us know! So why don't they have one now????

Well they probably have a good idea but they can't be sure and they won't tell us their estimate as it could very well be wrong and you know hpw much we moan when things are delayed so in a funny way not telling us a date is a way of not upsetting us. So when will they know?

After the American launch, Nintendo need to know how many sparkling purple and black wonder machines need making for europe. If it is a rip roaring success in America then loads of GC's will be swinging our way probably late spring if it is mellow then maybe early/middle spring if it is as quite as the japanese launch maybe early spring perhaps earlier late febuary but until they can make an accurate guess to how many GC's need making then they don't know how long it will take to bang them together when they do they can give us a date and stick to it.

I didn't think I'd hear myself say it but i hope it doesnt go tooo well in America.
Mon 29/10/01 at 15:35
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
Because Starfox is a registered trademark - owned by some non-Nintendo company. As trademarks aren't international by default, this name could be used in some countries and not others. Hence, some territories get the Star Fox, some get Lylat Wars, depending on where Nintendo owns the right to the name.
Mon 29/10/01 at 12:13
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Dringo wrote:
"Thank god for the new Nintendo UK why make this new UK company if they didn't plan to improve thigns over here."

Just making anopther company branch doesn't sort things out! In fact, the people employed at the company are not native Nintendo workers- instead they are people who have worked in the distribution industry... like ex-employees of THE games!

Oh, and they may well make things better... but they couldn't be much worse, could they? After all, THE games completely halted the sales of Starfox 64 so that all the packaging and manuals could call the game "Lylat Wars"... WHY!?

Sonic
Mon 29/10/01 at 12:09
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Sibs wrote:
"There are some good points in there, but I must kinda disagree..."

Well, I don't dount that the American market should have a launch before ours- that's not what I disagreed over. After all, the only technical difference between Japan and America is the language barrier... over in Europe, we have PAL and SECAM TVs, about four major languages to program for, and International trade barriers.

So I don't expect to get the console before, or even at the same time as America.

What I DO expect is for Nintendo to at least appear that they care about the European market. Like almost all the other products the Nintendo have delayed over here, they have refused outright to give a specific launch date. This is simply not acceptable.

Please read my last post for the full reason for this.

Sonic
Sun 28/10/01 at 23:35
Regular
yes, but we had to wait ages for games like Banjo-tooie and 1080. and what about Excitebike! i swear we got that a whole year after the rest of the world did!
Sun 28/10/01 at 21:37
Regular
Sibs wrote:
> I strongly agree with you on the release date issue- giving an estimate then
> changing it would just make people even more irate, but Nintendo really do have
> to pay more attention to the European market, because we often do get games far
> later than we should. I do think Nintendo are one of the greatest game
> developers in the world but Europe is important.

Zelda came out in America Europe and Japan in 2 months remmember.

Thank god for the new Nintendo UK why make this new UK company if they didn't plan to improve thigns over here.
Sun 28/10/01 at 21:35
Regular
To begin with, the European market DOES generate more money than
> America! Last year it overtook it, with predictions that the gap will increase
> over the next few months as we get the new consoles. The only problem is that
> the European market does NOT make more money for Nintendo! It does for Sony, and
> do you know why? Because they take this market seriously.

They take Japan seriously because its their hime so its natural they take America seriously as America loves Nintendo they take us seriously its just they have to deal with many companys over here to get things done and there is of course the TAX.

You say that Ninty
> have to see how popular the GC is in Janpan and Stateside before they can
> release it here. Fair enough, but surely that just points out how little
> Nintendo think about us! Any other company would release in Europe no matter
> what- that way making sure that they do not completely alienate a whole
> continent!

I didn't mean that they need to know how many consoles to make, the Japanese market is very different to ours so going on that to determine how well the GC will do overhere isn't a good indicator but the American one is so they'll hit and hope in America if it goes well then we'll get a similar thing over here if not they'll make fewer consoles so basically America isa testing ground for us.
Sun 28/10/01 at 21:06
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
There are some good points in there, but I must kinda disagree...

Even though the European market may have overtaken USA in terms of games sales the USA probably generates more cash than Japan, but Japan is symbolic of the rest of the gaming community- It is the homeland of gaming as it were.
Also it makes sense to release in the US first because trends from the US are often converted over to Europe, and the entertainment industry in the US expects to be at the forefront. Can you imagine how !@*#ed off the Americans would be if Nintendo released in Europe first??? Us British (or Europeans- I don't want to be politically incorrect do I know?) expect to be the last to launch. I would welcome an earlier (or even simultaneous) launch but is there any point if there are virtually no consoles and the launch is just there to say "yes we're here- only a tiny % of you who want a console can have 1, but we're here" all that does is mean people just buy em to sell em on for a few grand. At least we ain't gonna have that! If the GameCube (or any other console) does well in the US it is a good sign for Europe. Yes Nintendo need to sort out the issue of bringing games over here in decent time, but they seem to be addressing that issue from recent release lists I have seen with many games having simultaneous launchs with the US or just a month or 2 later.

There is still hope...
Sun 28/10/01 at 20:25
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
I must completely disagree with you Dringo! (Don't take it to heart though!)

To begin with, the European market DOES generate more money than America! Last year it overtook it, with predictions that the gap will increase over the next few months as we get the new consoles. The only problem is that the European market does NOT make more money for Nintendo! It does for Sony, and do you know why? Because they take this market seriously.

You say that Ninty have to see how popular the GC is in Janpan and Stateside before they can release it here. Fair enough, but surely that just points out how little Nintendo think about us! Any other company would release in Europe no matter what- that way making sure that they do not completely alienate a whole continent!

Even if it meant that there was a shortage of consoles elsewhere, what do you think is more important:

1) Attending to 2 continants and making sure demand is met whilst leaving the final continent (which is certainly not lesser in sales terms) high and dry to be taken by other competitors.

2) Having shortages in all 3 continents, but making sure that people are wanting to buy the console in all 3 of them. Thus you have a foothold in all 3 markets. Once the product is out, if it's any good, it will sell itself, with hype being created around the shortage. This is what Sony did with the PS2, and it certainly didn't fail!

There is one final point that I am suprised that you left out of your argument (especially seeing as it's the strongest of the lot!):

Developers need time to port games for multi-language, multi-TV format Europeans!

But then again, if Ninty were really serious, they'd port the games asap seeing as they're publishing manyn of them.

Sonic
Sun 28/10/01 at 19:13
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
I strongly agree with you on the release date issue- giving an estimate then changing it would just make people even more irate, but Nintendo really do have to pay more attention to the European market, because we often do get games far later than we should. I do think Nintendo are one of the greatest game developers in the world but Europe is important.
Sun 28/10/01 at 18:49
Regular
18th of November and Pikmina nd Smash Brothers 3rd December.

With that i go away only to return later with a new post Resident Evil in prime (it aint another post rubbing the Resident Evil news in sony fans faces trust me).

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.