GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Is GTA 3 as bigger leap forward as we Hoped?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 28/10/01 at 12:15
Regular
In my opinion, yes it is.

The first game came out on PS1, it was the first of its kind offering total freedom, you could basicly do what you want, there was a no need to play the game 'properly' unless you wanted to get the further cities. And this is what made the game so popular, and the fact of the sheer Badness of the content.

The game was like no other, it did not rely on PS1's at that time superier graphics, as they were pretty standard, but the size of the game made it extrmely playable and lastable. There were many cars to steal, many missions to complete and poeple to kill.

Next came an Add on, GTA London, this was basicly more of the same but over on our shores. It was made very british with the accents of the characters and the cars all to our 'taste'. It only had one city and did not take long to complete but was still very good.

A year on and GTA 2 came, to me this was the weaker of the games. The developers opted for a more futuristic time that took the theme away from the previous ones. Still, it was again good with all the usual cars and Kills.

The whole series was a big sucsess even with the poor 2D graphics and bad publicity it got, but when they anounced GTA 3, i wondered how big the leap forward would be onto the PS2.

Thankfully, it was brilliant, the most obvious new thing is the new graphics engine, now every thing is in full 3D which makes it even more playable and more realistic than ever, the amount of detail in there is superb, from your character simply reaching over to close the car door to the superb damage that occurs on the cars. The city around you looks very nice, especially when on top of a building and you look around, and see the large bridge in the far distance. The crashes in the cars or brilliant and really challange those of Burnout.

Also all the small features really add to the game, the taxi/police,/ambulance/firetruck missions are all fun. And the ability to pick up a hooker while strange, is rather funny ablilty.

The game is an allround big improvement with much more to do than most games can ever offer. The developers need a good pat on the back for not dissopointing us with a crap update cash in that we so regualry see.
Wed 31/10/01 at 20:16
Regular
"accidental superher"
have you done the ramps at the docks in portland (where you bomb that ship)...well around there should be a ramp where you jump over a whole load of trailers..
Wed 31/10/01 at 19:06
Regular
"You Bum!!"
After doing that mission I wanted to find some ramps I could jump over but didnt seem to find any... :( Any ideas?
Wed 31/10/01 at 11:30
Regular
"Fangxforthemammarie"
Pro Evo wrote:
> LOL, again i agree, i have had to do many missions again because of
> that.

Also today, i did a mission in the police boat, you had to chase a guy
> in another boat and shoot it with the on board guns. So there was another reason
> for the boats.

Heres a fun one for any Bond fans out there

Once you have chased and killed the guy using the police boat you can use the boat to cross roads to other areas of water like in Live and Let Die. The best place to try this is slightly north of the starting dock.

Just another stupid thing in the game that made me laugh

*as fang dreams of being James Bond again later*
Tue 30/10/01 at 20:19
Regular
"accidental superher"
i didn't use the guns...didn't realise they had them....
just followed him until he docked....
and the other one i used a rocket launcher :)
Tue 30/10/01 at 20:17
Regular
"360: swfcman"
LOL, again i agree, i have had to do many missions again because of that.

Also today, i did a mission in the police boat, you had to chase a guy in another boat and shoot it with the on board guns. So there was another reason for the boats.
Tue 30/10/01 at 20:15
Regular
"accidental superher"
haven't got that just yet...
and also getting out of the boat is stupidly tricky.....
more often than not i'm afraid the guy will jump into the water....
and why can't he learn to swim...
Tue 30/10/01 at 20:14
Regular
"360: swfcman"
Yeah the aiming system could have been better, its hard to target when your surounded by loads of people.

Oh well, there is always the flamethrower!!
Tue 30/10/01 at 20:12
Regular
"accidental superher"
it's great but i'm still annoyed about the stupid aiming system...get killed and busted so many times...
actually that automatic rifle with the first person thing is quite good...
Tue 30/10/01 at 11:01
Its awesome...

The best PS2 game so far...

Buy it.

Anyone seen any FBI agents yet... me haven't... cops keep ramming me and killing me when I get four stars... cant get away from chopper... gonna try and shoot it with the bazooka later...
Mon 29/10/01 at 21:00
Regular
"Touched!"
bingbong wrote:
> Decided i'm going to get GTA3 now after hearing u all rave like loonies about it
> ;)
It just sounds so good from what u all say

Its GREAT, i had my doubts, but once you play it they all disappear, trust us all, its a blast!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.