GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"N64 Intenet Pak"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 28/10/01 at 00:13
Regular
I've had an N64 for about two years now, and I've been pleased with it's games and accessories, I have most of it's best games eg; GoldenEye, Mario Party 2, Conker's Bad Fur day, Mario Paper...you know the score.

Apart from the success of the N64 the Playstation was obviously better in the sales department, selling more than 15 million each year, but there was one thing that could of saved the N64 in those days, 'an Internet Pak'

Internet compatible sytems are the best of the best money makers with THPS3 coming to the PS2 with online gaming options.

If only Nintendo had thought of it before the would of made a very, very large amount of money and boosted the console's popularity.

Recently me and my friends have been designing plans for new N64 Internet(Expantion)Pak (It would probally never see the light of day)but these are the features:

INTERACTIVE MENU:
As you turn on your N64 with the Net Pak inside, you will be treated to a special menu where you input your special details(eg; name, address...)plus you can enter tournaments, email your friends and exchange data.

MULTI-USE:
The pak can be used as:
-Memory Pak
-Expansion Pak
-Internet Pak

Were also trying to think up games:

TUROK 3:ONLINE
The third instalment of the Turok series would be re-released with new online capabilities, 57 new levels, 101 new characters, create-a-player plus a special menu that informs you about new tournaments and 'Timespitters' type mission mode that sees you complete tasks at different moments in time, to trying to steal a expensive jewel from the Titanic before sinks to saving the Statue of Liberty in the year 2234.

00 HEAVEN:
A James Bond first-person shooter, revolving around the 19 previous super-agent adventures, as James Bond you have to make you way from the beaches of 'Dr No' to the 'Thames Chase' of 'The World is not Enough'and online capabilities allowing you to communicate with other players.

REVOLUTION:
This is a Grand Theft Auto 3 type crime-sim,
the game is set in the year 2012, the President's son: Ralph.M.Ewing(21 years old)runs away from home after a row
with his President father about people's rights, you are then forced to hang around and make friends with pimps and criminals, but when you start off you are still a polite gentleman but when you get used to hanging around thugs you learn stuff like slang language and shop-lifting, the online capabilities are limited but like 00 Heaven you can speak to other users.

LAWS OF GRAVITY:
An extreme BMX sim, Laws Of Gravity the first BMX title for the N64, you can choose from 15 pro's and play an online arena were you can ride freely with other users.

WRC 2002:
A Gran Turismo type racing game, choose from over 300 cars(150 cars and another 150 cars with an expansion pak) 28 tracks and a racing arena for non-stop online racing thrills.

I hope that game developers take intrest in me and my friends' ideas.

See Ya Later.
Mon 05/11/01 at 11:44
Strafex wrote:
> What did Louis B get banned for?

Yeah. That's just what I was wondering.

You see all these users who've been banned and you can't see anything wrong with what they've been typing. Seems strange to me.
Tue 30/10/01 at 21:44
Regular
What did Louis B get banned for?
Tue 30/10/01 at 17:53
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
Like I said - it was a monthly rental fee. There weren't that many released, Nintdo were simply testing the ground. Even then they didn't get a full subscription, if I remember correctly. People weren't prepared to invest in the N64 so late in it's life - espically as the 64DDs main bonuses had moved onto to stand alone on the N64 - the expansion pak and the two Zelda game notabely.
Mon 29/10/01 at 20:27
Regular
I'd of still liked to of had a go on one though, does anyone know know how much they cost as if they were expensive that might of put people off.
Mon 29/10/01 at 18:18
Regular
"allardini's tagline"
64DD had bad games, and it just wasn't good. It only sold in Japan, and Nintendo decided to scrap it. It's just like Dreamcast's online gaming wasn't popular
Mon 29/10/01 at 18:07
Regular
The 64DD looked great when I first saw it a few years ago, it had some good stuff on it so why wasn't it successfull?
Mon 29/10/01 at 15:10
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
Yup, NES was the first ever modem-ed console. It was called TelePlay, and was entirely third-party developed. Nintendo helped with the Satelaview on the SNES though. It didn't have head-to-head gaming like the TelePlay, but you could download exclusive games to a 1MB ROM Cart. This is how games like Mario Excite Bike and F-Zero 2 came about, though they are often incorrectly called abandon-ware.

Both also let you do stuff like read on-line specific magazines, but the TelePlay's main use, apparently, was to check stock prices.

64DD was plastered about all over the place a few years back, but a test release failed to make any money. Nintendo charged a monthly fee, rather that an up-front bulk payment for the hardware. Didn't make them any cash, and Nintendo still stick by their guns saying that they won't venture into on-line gaming until it is profitable - the reason why Sega are releasing the first GC on-line title, PSO v2.

DD64 was pretty cool though - it was to originally host the N64 Zelda games and their first incarnations at trade shows supposedly ran on the 64DD's architecture. There was an F-Zero add-on pak planned too, with more levels and a level designer. Supposedly you could then swap these with friends as the 64DD as the hardware included a zip-disk-a-like add-on. This used 64 megabyte writable magnetic disks and supposedly would allow Nintendo to expand their create and nurture series and ethos. There were painting games and special cartridges to link your N64 up to a video camera. It is rumoured that this is how the GBC Camera came about - it was originally intended to use the wealth of photo creation/manipulation games and options that would crop up on all sorts of titles when the 64DD was released. Clearly, it never reached this potential.

Truth be told, no one can be 100% certain what happened. The official reason is, like I said, that no money was being made on the test launch. However, Nintendo had been shying away from the 64DD for long before that. The 64DDs killer aps like Zelda and Paper Mario migrated over the N64 and others died by the bucket load - see Sim City DD64 and numerous add-ons to games like Mission: Impossible and Mario 64. Also, the extansion pak, which had originally been one of the corner stones of the 64DD set-up, was released individually, increasing the N64s power to a level that seemed to satisfy Nintendo and their developers enough to let the 64DD die. The poor performance of the N64 can't be understated either - the 64DD was delayed and delayed so that ultimately it would have got a widespread release around the death period of the N64 - clearly not a good idea, better for Nintendo to lick their wounds and move on to the next-gen proper rather than a half-way house.
Sun 28/10/01 at 18:38
Regular
Cooky is right, in Japan there was some kind of an online thing for the NES, if you look under a NES there is a grey thing which when you take off has a port which was for the online stuff. Another of the things on it was a Mario Club, there's something about this in the book 'Game Over' (which is really good, I am reding it at the moment).
Sun 28/10/01 at 17:44
Regular
"May Contain Nuts"
Yea you could get that over here as well but it inloy let you get emails, and go to certain 'seleccted websites' (theirs)!
Sun 28/10/01 at 17:07
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
On the contrary, this idea has been done outside Japan too!

In Japan you could buy the 64DD which was able to go online for about one month. However, in America, there was a company that released it's own online software. You buy the game cart which comes with a keyboard and mouse. The cart plugs into a phone line, and you're online!

I'm not sure whether it was actually released, but prototypes were made.

Sonic

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.