GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"XBOX Live Racers"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 31/05/03 at 15:49
Regular
I know what I want. An XBOX Live racer. Now, my immediate thought was 'Midtown Madness 3' but thats not out for a month yet - and im not sure what it will be like yet.

I just got a copy of XBM and they gave 'Midnight Club 2' 9/10, and that has online racing too.

Im more of a fan of 'Fun' racers so Midtown seems the better though right now, and I deffinetly want offline multiplayer too. Does wither of these games support this?

I also loved Burnout2 on PS2 (never played it on XBOX) and if its anything like that, but online and on XBOX I am very inclinded to give Midnight Club 2 a chance....

Sooo - Anybody played Midnight Club 2? Does it have offline - Whats Live like with it, and is it probabbly better than Midtown Madness 3?

And - are any other online racers coming anytime soon?
Sat 31/05/03 at 16:43
Regular
I'm looking to get Midtown Madness 3 most likely.

Midnight CLub 2 doesn't really intrest me, it got very average reviews on PS2.
Sat 31/05/03 at 18:09
Regular
When I heard about plans for an online racer, I got very excited. However, due to networking issues in the world and most importantly in our country, latency means the game will be far from perfect. Anyone who's played a game online on 56K will know what I mean. While broadband speeds mean latency is less of a problem, the problem that is exaggerated on a 56K is still a problem on broadband.
Cars will seemingly teleport from one part of the track to the next every few seconds. The further you are from your foe, the worse the issue gets. Also, some 'broadband' services are hardly broadband. In South Korea broadband is 20mb/sec. From BT you get about 0.5mb/sec. Quite a difference, isn't it?

I hope the problem isn't too bad, but I admit I am worried that a seemingly great idea that would be fantastic in a utopean world will be ruined by the likes of BT and their crappy connections and latency.
Sat 31/05/03 at 18:40
Regular
*laughs* XBM?

Promise me you'll never get that magazine again. Get "Xbox Gamer" instead, it has pictures of near-naked ladys in it.

Cor.
Sat 31/05/03 at 18:52
"slightlyshortertagl"
Gar-J,

surely the problem you're talking about would have popped up with faster games like MotoGP and MotoGP2?

There is no problem.
Sat 31/05/03 at 19:37
Regular
HalloHowArtThou wrote:
> Gar-J,
>
> surely the problem you're talking about would have popped up with
> faster games like MotoGP and MotoGP2?
>
> There is no problem.

So why is the lead programmer of GT3 so worried about it then? It is an issue that will bother everyone who is not on an ultra-expensive direct connection to the internet.
Sat 31/05/03 at 20:59
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
I've heard good reviews of Midnight Club 2 on XBox and decided to get a copy reserved for its release this coming Friday.
A couple of the reviews I read on it mentioned the PS2 version and were quick to say that the XBox version is a lot better.
Besides the online play, the graphics are better and particularly makes things a lot clearer to the player as they race at night, etc.
And as another little bonus, you also get to use your custom soundtracks too. :-)

Wasn't in a rush to get this game before but after reading the reviews I looked through, I decided its a definate addition to the collection. I think Moto GP 2 is excellent, but I prefer to race cars over bikes - plus theres always the choice of using a bike in Midnight Club 2 as well.

So if anyones looking for an opinion of it, I'll be able to post one next weekend. ;-)

As for the release of Rallisport 2 - from what I last heard its going to also be around XMas, just like PGR2. So at the moment it looks like racing fans will have to make their choices between Moto GP, Moto GP 2, Midnight Club 2 and Midtown Madness 3.
Lamborghini was on the way until Rage went the way of the Dodo.
Sat 31/05/03 at 22:22
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Gar-J wrote:
> Also, some 'broadband' services are hardly broadband. In
> South Korea broadband is 20mb/sec. From BT you get about 0.5mb/sec.
> Quite a difference, isn't it?

And its probably even less as well in South Korea for that. We lack in the Broadband department when we should be number 1 in Europe. Sweden can offer 10mb for £40 in some areas. Yet we get stuck with £20 for 512k and then 2mb at £60 odd.
Sat 31/05/03 at 22:30
Regular
TGMbloke wrote:
> Are you a lead programmer then? Seriously - are you?

I'm the lead programmer in an educational establishment, yes, but we don't make computer games. We make educational and training software, but that's beside the point...

While yes, technically the Xbox is superior to the Playstation 2, once a signal leaves the Xbox and gets onto a network the Xbox's power is irrelevant. No matter how powerful the Xbox is, it's network speed is still bound by the same laws of physics as the network speed of a PS2. I'm currently on a quad ISDN digital connection, which has lower latency than even ADSL, but even I have pings of around 80-120 on multiplayer games on the net.

ADSL is faster for downloading files, but the latency is higher - hence, higher ping times.

I hope they sort something out - maybe equip the UK with fibre-optic cables from head to toe? We can always dream...
Sat 31/05/03 at 22:59
Regular
TGMbloke wrote:
> VB or C++?

VB6 Enterprise.
Sat 31/05/03 at 23:06
Regular
.NET is gay, its microsofts way of making you develop stuff for them...

Still using the "exitwindows" API is a loada fun when you set a timer on it and let someone else on the computer.....

"Mum the computers broken, shall I ring technical support?"

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.