GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"GBA SP better or worse than previous Game boys?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 01/06/03 at 12:51
Regular
A look into the History

The gameboy has been around since 1989 when the Original Gameboy was released and it was 1448mm high and 89mm wide. Quite big compared to today. Being the First cartridge-based handheld console, the original game boy had graphics and sound unlike any handheld seen before, as well as two-player link up capabilities. To this very day I have this gameboy. Tetris was born on the Gameboy and lots more Mario games were invented on this handheld console.

Six years later in 1996 the Gameboy pocket was invented. This was a lot smaller only being 124mm high and 76mm wide. It also had a much larger and sharper screen. Everything else stayed the same except new and improved games like Donkey Kong and Wario land: super Mario land 3.

Finally colour arrived on the handheld console in the gameboy color a year later than the gameboy pocket. It was a bit bigger than the gameboy pocket but that did not make a difference as finally you could play Nintendo games on a colour screen. The gameboy colour took two AA batteries, which would keep you going for ages in a car playing it You could play such games has The Legend Of Zelda Link’s Awakening DX and Mario Bros Deluxe.

Game Boy Advance (GBA) came in 2001. It was the biggest evolution in the game boy’s history, making the quantum leap to 32-bit technology and capable of displaying over 32,500 colours on its wide screen. It was the smallest in height out the 4 at the time only being 24.5mm high and it was 144.5mm wide. As well as the usual A, B, Start and select buttons it also had shoulder buttons called L and R. Some of the games on the GBA were brilliant like Mario Kart Super circuit and Metroid Fusion. The other extra value was that if you have a gamecube you can connect the GBA to the cube and on certain games you can play with it like Zelda.

Then finally the GBA SP that was released on the 28th of March this year. Being so small you could easily fit it into your back pocket being only 84.6mm when folded and 82mm wide. It had a 32-bit Processor embedded with memory. The new thing about the GBA SP is that it has a front light. This means that your gaming enjoyment is no longer reliant on a sunny day or a strong light bulb. At the push of a button the SP screen will glow so you can play at any time of the day even at night. It still has the same button as the GBA and still in the same positions. Also the GBA SP screen can flip down to fit in your pocket very nicely. It still has the same principle of cartridge form to hold games and the slot is at the front of the SP.The GBA SP come with two ports at the back. One of them is so you can play a four player game like Mario kart and the other port is so you can charge up your battery by putting a lead in the port and plugging it into a mains socket. Here is just a list of some of the games that you could be playing on your GBA SP.
Castlevania
Doom 2
Fifa 2003
GT Advance 2
Mario kart
Metroid Fusion

And much more games. And here are some of the games that are coming soon to the GBA SP Sonic Advance 2, Golden Sun and Final Fantasy.
The Future for the Gameboy could not look much better could it?

Personally I prefer thee GBA but maybe the SP will grow onto me. What do you like and why?
Sun 01/06/03 at 17:13
Regular
"poo poo for you!"
... quantum leap?
Sun 01/06/03 at 15:10
"period drama"
Turtle stacking is a tricky game to master.
i have, naturally.
Sun 01/06/03 at 14:51
Regular
"bit of a brain"
A guide to turtle stacking and building heapery.
Sun 01/06/03 at 14:50
"period drama"
SP can't heap tall buildings in a single mound.
Sun 01/06/03 at 14:47
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Jonathan Nash wrote:
> Nash smells a rat.

No; Nash smells *like* a rat.
Sun 01/06/03 at 14:42
Regular
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> Why you would you prefer GBA?
>
> Crap screen

Exactly the same as the SP's, just no front-light.

> Rubbish shape

It's actually fairly decent, just no where near as good as the SP's.

> needs batteries

After 500 charges, the SP is useless.

> needs to buy one of those crappy game lights

I only bought one for playing in the middle of the night with the lights off - I rarely used it.
Sun 01/06/03 at 13:16
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Nash wants to stroke hair.
Sun 01/06/03 at 13:08
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Nash smells a ripe johnson.
Sun 01/06/03 at 13:02
Regular
Nash smells a rat.
Sun 01/06/03 at 12:58
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Microchips wrote:
> As is Golden Sun 2

You know I meant to say GS.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.