GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Dreamgone?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 26/10/01 at 20:04
Regular
Excuse the title, but what happened to Sega's Dreamcast? Is it over already?

I have some very bad news for Dreamcast owners. The Dreamcast era is said to end very soon, meaning no more games are going to hit Sega's latest console. Terrible! How long since it was released? Three years ago and already Sega have given up on it. Why? Is it because no-one seems to buy any of its games (no profit) or is it mainly because they're focusing on a new console? I hope so.
No-one would ever have thought that Sega would be no more when the future of gaming has only just begone. I (and I'm sure everyone was) was looking forward to see what contribution they would add to compete with the next-gen consoles. I had heard about a certain Sega Dolphin being processed, but now all of a sudden I'm not so certain.

Look at the price-drop. How much was it when launched, £200 wasn't it? Now look at how much it is, £79.99. This is a good thing for people who are desperate to own one, but what I'm trying to put across is, why has it reduced its price so low, so quickly. We all know that after a certain period consoles are gradually reduced in price, but compared to the Playstation and N64's price reduction, the Dreamcast's price was reduced in a shorter period of the time it was released. Another thing, Playstation and N64 reduced their prices gradually, but the Dreamcast reduced theirs dramatically to such a cheap price, showing little of its value.

Now when we look at the Dreamcast most of us tend to think nothing of it. Why is this? Well, the Dreamcast, in game terminology, haven't really produced top-quality games for a 128-bit machine. We've seen popular comebacks like Sonic and Sega Rally and even newcomers like Ready to Rumble Boxing, but other than that most of its games have been the same developments from other formats. We did see some new games, but not as much as its competitors Playstation and Nintendo. What the Dreamcast basically did was place these certain developments on their format and displayed them with improved graphics, not gameplay.

Although the Dreamcast had some disappointments it had some good points about it too. It introduced a new feature for future consoles. Yes, Internet connection great for a real multiplayer experience. Probably the best game for this extra feature was Phantasy Star Online. A brilliant multiplayer game where you could join with many other teammates on the web, and chat as well as accomplishing certain objectives. Very enjoyable! Pity Sonic wasn't part of this added feature. Another great feature was the lightgun, perfect for playing House of the Dead 2. Quite an enjoyable game, but lacked the odd bit of interest due to its constant cutscenes, but still a great game.

So is it over for the Dreamcast? If so are you glad, and if not are you still glad? The fun was good while it lasted, but I think the Dreamcast has gone too sour for my liking. It had some good attributes, but apart for the graphics it was nothing we hadn't seen before. Pity! Still, if Sega are willing to have another bash at another console they're more than welcome!
Fri 26/10/01 at 20:27
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
Come on Dav1d, give your views! What do you think about the Sega and its poor instalment, the Dreamcast?
Fri 26/10/01 at 20:19
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
...In Eastenders terminology, "leave it out"!
Fri 26/10/01 at 20:10
Regular
Sorry Reload, but I cant bring myself to read this, when I know its probably copied.........
Fri 26/10/01 at 20:04
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
Excuse the title, but what happened to Sega's Dreamcast? Is it over already?

I have some very bad news for Dreamcast owners. The Dreamcast era is said to end very soon, meaning no more games are going to hit Sega's latest console. Terrible! How long since it was released? Three years ago and already Sega have given up on it. Why? Is it because no-one seems to buy any of its games (no profit) or is it mainly because they're focusing on a new console? I hope so.
No-one would ever have thought that Sega would be no more when the future of gaming has only just begone. I (and I'm sure everyone was) was looking forward to see what contribution they would add to compete with the next-gen consoles. I had heard about a certain Sega Dolphin being processed, but now all of a sudden I'm not so certain.

Look at the price-drop. How much was it when launched, £200 wasn't it? Now look at how much it is, £79.99. This is a good thing for people who are desperate to own one, but what I'm trying to put across is, why has it reduced its price so low, so quickly. We all know that after a certain period consoles are gradually reduced in price, but compared to the Playstation and N64's price reduction, the Dreamcast's price was reduced in a shorter period of the time it was released. Another thing, Playstation and N64 reduced their prices gradually, but the Dreamcast reduced theirs dramatically to such a cheap price, showing little of its value.

Now when we look at the Dreamcast most of us tend to think nothing of it. Why is this? Well, the Dreamcast, in game terminology, haven't really produced top-quality games for a 128-bit machine. We've seen popular comebacks like Sonic and Sega Rally and even newcomers like Ready to Rumble Boxing, but other than that most of its games have been the same developments from other formats. We did see some new games, but not as much as its competitors Playstation and Nintendo. What the Dreamcast basically did was place these certain developments on their format and displayed them with improved graphics, not gameplay.

Although the Dreamcast had some disappointments it had some good points about it too. It introduced a new feature for future consoles. Yes, Internet connection great for a real multiplayer experience. Probably the best game for this extra feature was Phantasy Star Online. A brilliant multiplayer game where you could join with many other teammates on the web, and chat as well as accomplishing certain objectives. Very enjoyable! Pity Sonic wasn't part of this added feature. Another great feature was the lightgun, perfect for playing House of the Dead 2. Quite an enjoyable game, but lacked the odd bit of interest due to its constant cutscenes, but still a great game.

So is it over for the Dreamcast? If so are you glad, and if not are you still glad? The fun was good while it lasted, but I think the Dreamcast has gone too sour for my liking. It had some good attributes, but apart for the graphics it was nothing we hadn't seen before. Pity! Still, if Sega are willing to have another bash at another console they're more than welcome!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.