GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"How's Shenmue II Selling?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Shenmue 2'.
Tue 03/06/03 at 13:39
Regular
How well has Shenmue II been selling on the X-Box, since it was released?

Is it selling as well as it should, or struggling to leave the shelves??

I noticed that it topped-the-charts within its first-week, but then seemed to slide-away and gradually dissapear...

Many seem to believe that Shenmue III WILL appear in game-form, if only SEGA and Yu Suzuki can see that the game is likely to sell-well on a certain format - by looking at the Shenmue II sales on X-Box.
That's why I'm interested to know!

But what we cannot ignore is the future-release of Virtua Fighter Quest on GameCube - the exploration-based Suzuki-directed game that was originally meant to be "Shenmue".
If this gets released in Europe, and also sells well, there could be a chance that Shenmue III gets release on the GameCube, instead.

But what are the PS2-owners getting from SEGA and Suzuki?

I hope that things aren't quite as bad as they seem... :S
Tue 03/06/03 at 20:42
Regular
> A PS2 version would suck, it couldn't handle Shenmue and most PS2
> players won't appreciate the brilliance of Shenmue.

Thats right a PS2 Version would suck... but Micorsoft bought the rights to Shenmue 2 so its not comming to the GC, also as Xbox hardhwere is a lot like a PC its only took 6 months to port to the Xbox "very fast for a game that size" said some guy at sega... but the xbox one dose look nicer, when i was playing it I noticed that the Sea is done a lot better and so is the loading also there isnt any pop up or distance flicker.. its pritty good.
Tue 03/06/03 at 20:01
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
WickedWare wrote:
> I can't help you on what you want to know but I'm a huge Virtua
> Fighter fan so I'm very excited about VF Quest you mentioned. I seem
> to be always the last person to know about new games.

Nope, looks like you aren't the last to know here.

I agree with what someone said before, a GC version may be the best option because it will also sell well in Japan, but then again, a title like Shenmue 3 may shift a fair few X-Box's. If that's the way Microsoft see it, they have the money to secure a deal with SEGA, I would imagine.

A PS2 version would suck, it couldn't handle Shenmue and most PS2 players won't appreciate the brilliance of Shenmue.
Tue 03/06/03 at 19:55
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
Well it was in the top 10 of the official charts a few weeks ago, and it does deserve it too because it is a quality game. I didn't get it for the X-Box as I have the 2 Shenmue games for DC. But for goodness sake they better release the third and final part of the story or I will explode, I'll be mega peeved off if they don't.
Tue 03/06/03 at 13:58
Regular
"where's my tag?"
I can't help you on what you want to know but I'm a huge Virtua Fighter fan so I'm very excited about VF Quest you mentioned. I seem to be always the last person to know about new games.
Tue 03/06/03 at 13:50
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
Solskjær wrote:
> I noticed that it topped-the-charts within its first-week, but then
> seemed to slide-away and gradually dissapear...

The trouble with games like Shenmue, that only really appeal to fans, is that when they're released they go high up the charts in their first week, but when everyone who wanted it bought it, the following weeks it tends to drop down the charts.

Seeing as the games industry is such big business nowadays, comapnies have to look at whether future titles will be commercially viable, and will make back what they cost to develop. So, if Shenmue III was to be released, an Xbox version wouldn't do too well in japan as the user-base is low. A PS2 version could sell due to the high user-base, but the average PS2 user wouldn't enjoy the slow pace of Shenmue. A Gamecube version would be good, especially with GBA link-up.
Tue 03/06/03 at 13:39
Regular
"Long time no see!"
How well has Shenmue II been selling on the X-Box, since it was released?

Is it selling as well as it should, or struggling to leave the shelves??

I noticed that it topped-the-charts within its first-week, but then seemed to slide-away and gradually dissapear...

Many seem to believe that Shenmue III WILL appear in game-form, if only SEGA and Yu Suzuki can see that the game is likely to sell-well on a certain format - by looking at the Shenmue II sales on X-Box.
That's why I'm interested to know!

But what we cannot ignore is the future-release of Virtua Fighter Quest on GameCube - the exploration-based Suzuki-directed game that was originally meant to be "Shenmue".
If this gets released in Europe, and also sells well, there could be a chance that Shenmue III gets release on the GameCube, instead.

But what are the PS2-owners getting from SEGA and Suzuki?

I hope that things aren't quite as bad as they seem... :S

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.