GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The PC DVD CDROM *Room for Rent*"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 26/10/01 at 11:58
Regular
When was the last time you used your DVD cd rom? Maybe to watch a DVD film? However I'm guessing you don't use it much (nothings more sadder then to sit in front of a computer eating pop corn while gazing at a screen with poor quality sound and poor quality graphics.

It got me thinking. If I don't use this thing for watching DVD films why have I got one? I don't really need it. I could have saved myself a little bob if I had bought a normal one that only plays CDs.

Yet DVD games seems to be the future technology. The PS2 has already leapt on to the bandwagon and other companies are expected to jump on the bandwagon. DVD games can hold so much more information than compact disks and well to put it in one point are better.

Yet the best PCs today which are much more powerful and capable of things then a PS2 is hasn't put this thing to use.

Why? If game developers put these things to use they could be selling faster games, games that are much harder to pirate at this current time (and this would make them lots more money if people can't get the software by other means) and it would also be able to store much more data. This means better quality sound, quality gameplay and more. We've seen the likes of Gran Turismo 3 and can see what DVDs are capable of.

Games could also run straight off the DVD and taking up vital disk space on your PC should become a thing of the past. The opportunities here are endless.

I'm not entirely sure why games developers haven't used DVDs yet but I'm guessing money. But surely if it's not a problem for PS2 games developers it shouldn't be a problem for PC games developers.

So why leave it gathering dust in the PC. PC games developers I believe should make use of it as DVDs ARE the future. Compact disks are a thing of the past.
(Thanks for reading.)
Sat 27/10/01 at 01:31
Regular
if you buy a mpeg decoder card, you get a nice picture. plus if you got nice speakers and a nice sound card you should get nice sound. and it will all be nice...
Sat 27/10/01 at 01:22
Regular
Good idea Bob.
Fri 26/10/01 at 19:20
Regular
I know what you mean. I gave my parents a PC and had to give them a DVD drive as that is all I had spare! The thing is that dedicated CD drives are better and faster then DVD drives at reading CD's and so a DVD drive is not even good for that. I think the reason that there arn't many DVD games is because developers don't want to risk launching a big title on a format that not everyone can use. they should lauch some dual format games. You could buy the CD version or if you have a DVD drive get the DVD version with more levels/features/movie clips/etc
Fri 26/10/01 at 18:29
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
Yes but I have a DVD player so I don't even use it for that.... It's a con I tell you!
Fri 26/10/01 at 12:01
Regular
"Not your monkey"
ahhh, the joys of a TV-out card so that you watch films on a big screen. Also helps having the hifi as my speakers. The sound blaster live platinum boost the sound a lot too. Watched Romeo must die just last night actually.

Good point though, unless you fork out a fortune for extras, there seems little point in a DVD drive!
Fri 26/10/01 at 11:58
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
When was the last time you used your DVD cd rom? Maybe to watch a DVD film? However I'm guessing you don't use it much (nothings more sadder then to sit in front of a computer eating pop corn while gazing at a screen with poor quality sound and poor quality graphics.

It got me thinking. If I don't use this thing for watching DVD films why have I got one? I don't really need it. I could have saved myself a little bob if I had bought a normal one that only plays CDs.

Yet DVD games seems to be the future technology. The PS2 has already leapt on to the bandwagon and other companies are expected to jump on the bandwagon. DVD games can hold so much more information than compact disks and well to put it in one point are better.

Yet the best PCs today which are much more powerful and capable of things then a PS2 is hasn't put this thing to use.

Why? If game developers put these things to use they could be selling faster games, games that are much harder to pirate at this current time (and this would make them lots more money if people can't get the software by other means) and it would also be able to store much more data. This means better quality sound, quality gameplay and more. We've seen the likes of Gran Turismo 3 and can see what DVDs are capable of.

Games could also run straight off the DVD and taking up vital disk space on your PC should become a thing of the past. The opportunities here are endless.

I'm not entirely sure why games developers haven't used DVDs yet but I'm guessing money. But surely if it's not a problem for PS2 games developers it shouldn't be a problem for PC games developers.

So why leave it gathering dust in the PC. PC games developers I believe should make use of it as DVDs ARE the future. Compact disks are a thing of the past.
(Thanks for reading.)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.