GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"There were 3 in the bed..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 26/10/01 at 01:58
Regular
and the contemptible one said...

"Roll over Monkey, and get the hell out of our bed!"

And what now... Sega have evaporated into developing dust... not that that's such a bad thing, because it makes the console wars that much more exciting knowing that Sega, such a powerful weapon, is up in the air and ready to fire at any of the three remaining targets.

I'm actually VERY surprised that Nintendo didn't buy Sega... I really thgouth that if this was the case they'd be able to capture the market with no problem... maybe the swarm of iron fisted fat cats saw it differently!

But back to the topic... we have 3 companies left in the game... Sony, who seem near unstoppable with yet another 'cool' console, Nintendo who have lots to offer through the GAMECUBE and Gameboy Advance, and Microsoft... who really are on fire!

Still, this isn't really about console wars... well - not as such... I was thinking... and i've come to the conclusion that these three companies will be around forever... at least in entertainments aspect of time... I mean, how are they ever going to die? Nintendo have so much heritage and really, nothing much can stop #251 monsters, a trojan horse and a cube! Sony are bigger that ever with all their hi-tech stuff so support and finances are all too readily available... and microsoft... well I have one word: Windows!

But if someone had to go, I wonder who it'd be... I'd have to say Nintendo.... purely because they have so little to fall back on... but only in comparison. I mean compared to all the electronics in the world and the most used PC program series ever, some monsters, a plumber and one mean President doesn't mean sugar!

I don't want to think about Nintendo dissolving so i'll stop now....

... this is one of those topics that seems like a good idea to begin with but as you near the end you realise it's pointless but hit the post button anyway with a fading hope that someone will reply.... damn...

*click...*

Game
Wed 31/10/01 at 12:58
Well while it's here I might as well point out that Microsoft aren't all Windows. Office for example is a program made by them with all the gadgets you'll need and it's only going to be compatible with Windows because you would be foolish to allow people to use good utility software that you make with anything other than your own operating system. I doubt Microsoft will suddenly go bust, anyway Bill Gates could just pump some of his cash back into the business if it ever needs it.
Wed 31/10/01 at 12:42
Regular
well i was expecting a andy cole/dwight yorke story
Sat 27/10/01 at 17:37
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Well, I'm even more suprised that Microsoft didn't buy Sega! After all, that would make sure they had the strong foothold in the Japanese market that was needed.

Saying that though, I don't think Sega was really ever up for sale. CSK must have realised that Sega was such a big games developer that, given the enlarged market of all the consoles, they could sell games by the shed load.

As things stand, Sega look to be the second biggest games publisher in a couple of years time... second to Nintendo. However, it's important to note that Sega make far, far more games in house than Nintendo do.

Sonic
Sat 27/10/01 at 14:42
Regular
Turbonutter wrote:
> I've always seen Nintendo going first. I can also see that, although it may not
> be the worst console, Nintendo will almost certainly sell less units this round
> than Sony or Microsoft.

Microsoft and Sony are directly competing with each other.

They both produce the same type of games with the same type of style.
If they like a certain "realistic" style then they've got a choice to make.

Nintendo indirectly compete with them and have their own style to themselves.
Nintendo go for the light hearted fun games but also have a range of "serious realistic" games.

I think tha Nintendo has the benefits of having it's own style (so anyone who prefers the fun type of game will find the Gamecube best), and they also compete to an extent in the market for more serious "realistic" style.

Wave Race and Resident Evil are prime examples of this.
Sat 27/10/01 at 00:33
Regular
Rakuga wrote:
If I had to put
> money on one company leaving the console wars forever I'd have to say Sony. Rich
> as they may be if they start losing the console wars I doubt they will bother
> spending millions to repair the damage when they have other successful
> entertainment business ventures.

Very Very good point.
Fri 26/10/01 at 11:56
Regular
"Not your monkey"
The Game wrote:
> Was that a cheap shot? I think it was! The way you said farfetched... Cheap
> Shooter!

>:D:D:D:D:

I assume you were talking about the way i said far fetched? EErrrrrrm, it was one of those subconsious things. Didnt do it on purpose - think the word was just floating around my head!! Honest :D
Fri 26/10/01 at 11:52
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Was that a cheap shot? I think it was! The way you said farfetched... Cheap Shooter!

:D:D:D:D:
Fri 26/10/01 at 11:48
Regular
"Not your monkey"
I am not a sony fan (i am nintendo man myself) but i have to say that i don't see them going out of the market. Bit far fetched to me!!
Fri 26/10/01 at 11:46
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
I think it's a bit farfetched to say Microsoft will be around forever just because of Windows. Yes at the moment they have a monopoly on the market (basically everyone has windows installed on their computer) but you have seen how unstable windows can be.

What if someone was to create an even better OS then Windows. Maybe with compatibility with everything that Windows has but also faster and much much more reliable. Linux for example.

So I wouldn't say that Microsoft will be around forever simply because of Windows.

Nintendo are a big company and are losing out the most on the console wars but the Game Boy Advance is thriving and again they have a monopoly on a market - the hand console market. Nothing has yet beaten it in it's 10 years of existence. The Game Gear, Neo Geo and other opposition like the Lynx have fallen like flies. I can't really see Nintendo go bust...

Sony are another big company that is very very rich and can afford to do well in these console wars. The Playstation and PS2 are big hits.

The X box.. I can see this overpowering Sony's consoles and I predict it may be beaten down like Sony's Dreamcast.

If I had to put money on one company leaving the console wars forever I'd have to say Sony. Rich as they may be if they start losing the console wars I doubt they will bother spending millions to repair the damage when they have other successful entertainment business ventures.
Fri 26/10/01 at 11:42
Regular
"I like cheese"
Gangster Hamster wrote:
> Well thats certainly one way to start a fight!

It's a way of life, I'm afraid.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.