GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[GAME] Mass Effect"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Mass Effect'.
Wed 26/05/10 at 18:04
Regular
Mass Effect is an action sci-fi RPG game for the xbox 360. It was released in November 2007, developed by Bioware, and it quickly became on of the best games I have ever played. I am a huge fan of RPG's and I was eager to play this, it's certainly a great game.

The game takes place in 2183, and you play the role of the elite soldier Commander Shepard. One of the great things about this game is you can create the appearance of your character at the start, and you can be female rather than male (despite the male on the front of the game's box!) This was a great feature, and it's nice to not have us female's forgotten by having to play as the typical male soldier. You can customise the appear of your own Commander Shepard, along with the abilities and military background.
As I mentioned before this game is set far into the future. Human's are the latest species to have joined an intergalatic council, which is based in a huge station known as The Citadel. This station is a relic from an extinct civilization named the Protheans.

You start the game on board the Normandy spaceship and you are being sent to a human colony known as Eden Prime to uncover a Prothean beacon. When you arrive you discover Eden Prime is under attack from the Geth, you will come to know and hate the Geth for the rest of the game. I won't spoil what happens on Eden Prime, but afterwards the ship is commanded to return to The Citadel.

The Citadel is brilliant, and there's lots of places to explore. Just like any other RPG, you can pick up plenty of mini quests along the way, and it's best to do that to build up your level and thus, your abilities. If you don't build them up you find struggle with the main storyline later in the game. I spent a good amount of time exploring The Citadel when I first arrived at it in the game, and I recommend you start to become familiar with it for ease during the game.

The game play itself is third person as you wander around, and you'll soon notice you can strike up conversations with almost anyone. The game gives you a choice of answers and further questions to ask whilst in a conversation, and the choices you choose have some importance. Being 'good' gives you more Paragon points, being 'bad' gives you Renegade points. It doesn't make too much of a difference to the game, but in later conversations if you have choosen the path of a Renegade, you will generally not be a nice person!

In Mass Effect there are 4 classes of weapons, and lots of weapons, armour and ammo upgrades. You also get to choose the equipment of your party, and you can pause the game to change the equipment around, useful when you recieve new items. You won't need to collect ammo as it's unlimited, but guns can overheat so you have to watch it carefully, otherwise you won't be shooting until it's cooled down again.
As well as firearms there is also Tech abilities and Biotics. Tech abilities are powers used against enemies, weapons and their technology. These can include hacking enemy shields or sabotaging enemy weapons. There is even an Electronics ability which can be used to unlock safe's throughout the game, which will contain weapons and upgrades.
Biotics are powers which the characters use by implants that enhance abilities to manipulate energy. You can throw enemies around with these abilities.

In Mass Effect you have alot of space to explore, with many plants and galaxies. Once you have choosen a planet to land on and have flown there in your Normandy, you land on the planet in a Miko, great for side quests on random planets. It's often not safe to venture outside the safety of the Miko for long as some planets have a dangerous atmosphere, but the amount of time you can spend outside is clearly shown on the screen. Controlling the Miko at times can be hard and annoying, but you will get the hang of it as the game goes on.

There's lots of quests to complete and places to explore in Mass Effect, enough to keep you busy whilst not playing through the main storyline. Admittedly the main storyline isn't a very long one, but I spent hours playing this game because of the sheer amount of other quests to be completed.

If you use Xbox Live there is downloadable content you can purchase, however this doesn't affect the main storyline too much, so you won't be missing out by not purchasing this.

This game is one of the best games I've played on the Xbox 360, and I highly recommend it.
Tue 01/06/10 at 17:54
Regular
I disagree that the game adjusts the opponents levels based on yours for the main missions. Many people complained they found the main missions too difficult but it was simply because they hadn't levelled up high enough. Indeed, this happened with a friend of mine and when I told him to level up first, which he did, he then found it much easier to complete the main missions.
Tue 01/06/10 at 11:44
Regular
Mako, not Miko.

I found it pretty easy (on Normal difficulty) despite skipping nearly all the sidequests first time round - the game adjusts its opponents' levels based on yours I think.

Nice review.
Wed 26/05/10 at 18:04
Regular
Mass Effect is an action sci-fi RPG game for the xbox 360. It was released in November 2007, developed by Bioware, and it quickly became on of the best games I have ever played. I am a huge fan of RPG's and I was eager to play this, it's certainly a great game.

The game takes place in 2183, and you play the role of the elite soldier Commander Shepard. One of the great things about this game is you can create the appearance of your character at the start, and you can be female rather than male (despite the male on the front of the game's box!) This was a great feature, and it's nice to not have us female's forgotten by having to play as the typical male soldier. You can customise the appear of your own Commander Shepard, along with the abilities and military background.
As I mentioned before this game is set far into the future. Human's are the latest species to have joined an intergalatic council, which is based in a huge station known as The Citadel. This station is a relic from an extinct civilization named the Protheans.

You start the game on board the Normandy spaceship and you are being sent to a human colony known as Eden Prime to uncover a Prothean beacon. When you arrive you discover Eden Prime is under attack from the Geth, you will come to know and hate the Geth for the rest of the game. I won't spoil what happens on Eden Prime, but afterwards the ship is commanded to return to The Citadel.

The Citadel is brilliant, and there's lots of places to explore. Just like any other RPG, you can pick up plenty of mini quests along the way, and it's best to do that to build up your level and thus, your abilities. If you don't build them up you find struggle with the main storyline later in the game. I spent a good amount of time exploring The Citadel when I first arrived at it in the game, and I recommend you start to become familiar with it for ease during the game.

The game play itself is third person as you wander around, and you'll soon notice you can strike up conversations with almost anyone. The game gives you a choice of answers and further questions to ask whilst in a conversation, and the choices you choose have some importance. Being 'good' gives you more Paragon points, being 'bad' gives you Renegade points. It doesn't make too much of a difference to the game, but in later conversations if you have choosen the path of a Renegade, you will generally not be a nice person!

In Mass Effect there are 4 classes of weapons, and lots of weapons, armour and ammo upgrades. You also get to choose the equipment of your party, and you can pause the game to change the equipment around, useful when you recieve new items. You won't need to collect ammo as it's unlimited, but guns can overheat so you have to watch it carefully, otherwise you won't be shooting until it's cooled down again.
As well as firearms there is also Tech abilities and Biotics. Tech abilities are powers used against enemies, weapons and their technology. These can include hacking enemy shields or sabotaging enemy weapons. There is even an Electronics ability which can be used to unlock safe's throughout the game, which will contain weapons and upgrades.
Biotics are powers which the characters use by implants that enhance abilities to manipulate energy. You can throw enemies around with these abilities.

In Mass Effect you have alot of space to explore, with many plants and galaxies. Once you have choosen a planet to land on and have flown there in your Normandy, you land on the planet in a Miko, great for side quests on random planets. It's often not safe to venture outside the safety of the Miko for long as some planets have a dangerous atmosphere, but the amount of time you can spend outside is clearly shown on the screen. Controlling the Miko at times can be hard and annoying, but you will get the hang of it as the game goes on.

There's lots of quests to complete and places to explore in Mass Effect, enough to keep you busy whilst not playing through the main storyline. Admittedly the main storyline isn't a very long one, but I spent hours playing this game because of the sheer amount of other quests to be completed.

If you use Xbox Live there is downloadable content you can purchase, however this doesn't affect the main storyline too much, so you won't be missing out by not purchasing this.

This game is one of the best games I've played on the Xbox 360, and I highly recommend it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.