GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Ugraded Exchange ?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 26/05/10 at 15:50
Regular
"I like turtles"
Hi Guys,

One of my neighbours reckons he is getting a connection speed of over 10MBS due to an upgrade we have recently had to our local exchange.I'm trying to find out if this is actually the case or if he is just talking out of his bum.Is there any way I check ?.
Thu 27/05/10 at 14:58
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
I feel like whooping. But it doesn't mean my home is going to be any better. Sad times.
Thu 27/05/10 at 12:18
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Ok Chelmsford then as they already have it! Latest official BT list says September 2010 for Braintree but not all cabinets will get upgraded so there still no guarantee that you will be able to take advantage of the fibre roll-out even if it is available on your exchange. Down the road from our office I noticed a new BT cabinet so we should be able to get Fibre at Freeola Towers.
Thu 27/05/10 at 08:46
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Eccles wrote:
>Will have to move to Braintree by
> September though so I can take advantage of the Fibre rollout!

I doubt Braintree will ever get it, as it was June originally. Now September you say? :D
Thu 27/05/10 at 00:04
Regular
"I like turtles"
Thanks for the comments guys,very helpful.My neighbour is connected to the same exchange as me and his ISP is indeed owned by the Carphone Warehouse Group.Hopefully when ADSL 2 finally makes its way over to our little village exchange my connection should be incredible.Happy with what I've got for now.
Wed 26/05/10 at 18:39
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Yeah 'they' (TT) seem to have unbundled several small exchanges that other LLU providers won't touch. I'm also in the same situation (8128 line, few 100 metres from and exchange with just over 1000 lines on it). Will have to move to Braintree by September though so I can take advantage of the Fibre rollout!
Wed 26/05/10 at 17:56
"Are you sure?"
Hi pete_21,
Sounds like you might have a similar neighbour to me! ;¬)

Your exchange only supports 'up to' 8128 on normal (BT Wholesale) connections.
But there is one LLU provider (where a different company has put their own kit in the exchange).
Ask your neighbour who he's with! If it begins with 'T' he might be telling the truth.

Either way you are on a nice line there and I would swap with you! :¬)
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Wed 26/05/10 at 17:25
Staff
"Look! There's a..."
Can't see that your exchange has been upgraded recently Pete, so I don't know how your neighbour is getting 10MB - unless they're on a different exchange which has had the 21CN upgrade (up to 24mb speeds if you're close enough), or perhaps an LLU provider .....don't really know if that would make a difference though.

Looks like only plain old ADSL1 is available at your exchange at the moment, and there is no publicised upgrade date available.

You can use this sort of site for information about your line/exchange etc.

Judging by your speeds, you're doing pretty well on an ADSL1 connection, so when ADSL2 arrives you'll probably be one of the lucky ones!
Wed 26/05/10 at 17:23
Regular
"I like turtles"
Thanks Hmmm...

Just tried the Freeola speed checker and got :

Your Exchange: Gresford

Expected Speed: Up to 6.5 Mb

Just done a Speedtest and the result shows my Freeola connection is very good and my neighbour is talking rubbish (neither of those facts surprised me much TBH).

Thanks again for the help mate,appreciated.
Wed 26/05/10 at 16:16
"Are you sure?"
What exchange is it?
You can look to see what speeds/services are available.

Or you can use Freeola's availability checker which will give an indication on ADSL2+(21CN) which would give these speeds (and higher).

One of my neighbours used to tell everyone he was getting "100Mbps"!

This is the figure he saw after hovering over his LAN icon in the System Tray :¬)
We're a 'Market 1' exchange (8128 max) and a fair distance from the exchange so no one gets that.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Wed 26/05/10 at 15:50
Regular
"I like turtles"
Hi Guys,

One of my neighbours reckons he is getting a connection speed of over 10MBS due to an upgrade we have recently had to our local exchange.I'm trying to find out if this is actually the case or if he is just talking out of his bum.Is there any way I check ?.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.