GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 26/05/10 at 01:10
Regular
Hi,

OK this has me beat!

On my Windows 7 system there is one program that won't install in one folder due to the above error.

I have tried:

'Unblocking' it from it's properties
Secure deleting it from the hard disk and re-downloading it
Resetting the read-only bit (to off) from the top level of the directory tree + subs
Running as admin (even though I am)
Successfully running it from a different folder
Successfully running previous versions in the same folder

What on *earth* is screwing with this file?

Neil
Wed 26/05/10 at 01:10
Regular
Hi,

OK this has me beat!

On my Windows 7 system there is one program that won't install in one folder due to the above error.

I have tried:

'Unblocking' it from it's properties
Secure deleting it from the hard disk and re-downloading it
Resetting the read-only bit (to off) from the top level of the directory tree + subs
Running as admin (even though I am)
Successfully running it from a different folder
Successfully running previous versions in the same folder

What on *earth* is screwing with this file?

Neil
Wed 26/05/10 at 08:41
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
No idea really, as you seem to have tried the only thing I was going to suggest which is running as Admin. Had similar problems myself trying to get a file to run in Notepad, as it neede admin rights.

Even though I was logged in as admin I still needed to select to run the programme as "Admin" and then find the file. :S
Wed 26/05/10 at 16:02
Staff Moderator
"Mr Dean"
It might be worth checking the file permissions on the user that you are logged in as on folder that you are trying to install to, to be honest I'm not 100% sure how to do this on Windows 7, but if you delete the folder then create it again from scratch it should just take the permissions from the parent folder (providing you have full access to that).
Wed 26/05/10 at 16:11
Regular
I was thinking along those lines.

It's bizzare though how the prog installs from another directory, and other files in that directory install, and even more confusing is that even though I secure wiped the offending file and copied a new download over to the directory, it still failed.

N.
Wed 26/05/10 at 17:17
Staff Moderator
"Mr Dean"
To test this further, it may be worth running a different installer to/from this directory.

Also, I remember a little while ago I had a problem installing something to the Program Files (x86) directory on 64bit Windows 7 and it turned out that the installer didn't like the brackets in the directory name so I ended up installing to standard Program Files instead.

I've also found a guide on the Internet for changing the access permissions in windows 7. I would just check that both Administrator and your user have Full Control over the folder.

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/windows-7-access-denied-permission-ownership/
Wed 26/05/10 at 18:00
Regular
I've pretty much exhausted the owner/permission route.

Nothing works.

I'm backing up online and going to delete the local directory and restore.

N.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.