GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Modem connecting when computer switched on"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 26/10/01 at 00:16
Regular
can anybody tell me, how I can stop the modem connecting to the internet when ever I switch on the computer?
Sat 27/10/01 at 17:38
Bob wrote:
> Cheers, I've done it in Morpheus now.

That's ok, at least the problem that I have got helpped somebody out. d:)
Sat 27/10/01 at 15:09
Regular
Cheers, I've done it in Morpheus now.
Sat 27/10/01 at 00:03
Dave From Ilson wrote:
> capbiker wrote:
> can anybody tell me, how I can stop the modem connecting
> to the internet when
> ever I switch on the computer?

Right click on
> Internet Explorer, then go to properties. Go to connections and then check the
> box 'never dial a connection'. And whoop a de da! It shouldn't connect
> automatically again.

Dave, I am already doing that. But the only problem is that other people in my family uses the internet too, and they don't know that much about computers so I am trying to sort out the problem by editing the correct file to stop it connecting every time when my computer boots up.

Bob, from what I can work out my younger sister download two server programs, one from www.auidoglaxery.com and another one called morpheus (music server download) And when u install one of the two there is a option asking u if u want it to connect to the internet each time it boots up. And I think she checked it or mayb click yes. Since then every time the computer boots up it connects to the internet. I have tried uninstalling the programs but it still does it. So I am thinking it's to do with some kind of configure instruction, of which I am planning to delete once I have find it out. d:)
Fri 26/10/01 at 17:20
capbiker wrote:
> can anybody tell me, how I can stop the modem connecting to the internet when
> ever I switch on the computer?

Right click on Internet Explorer, then go to properties. Go to connections and then check the box 'never dial a connection'. And whoop a de da! It shouldn't connect automatically again.
Fri 26/10/01 at 16:47
Regular
This may be a strange question but how do I make my modem connect when my machine boots. I use Win2k and have ADSL.
Fri 26/10/01 at 15:43
ajg wrote:
> Have you got a Virus Checker? That did the trick for me. Now I use Nortons Anti
> Virus to clean my drive and Nortons Internet Security to block the little
> blighters.

Yes I have got a virus checker, and that won't work as the program comes from a server download program of which my younger sister had downloaded and installed. I have removed the program but it stills contect to the internet. :(

The trojan I had infected my exlorer.exe. Don't know what it did,
> or how long I had it but after quarantining it, the problem cleared up.

What the trojan files does is to put a file on your computer that would let the creater get a lot of information off ur computer or else let them contect to it with out you knowing about it. But one version of a trojan files that people uses, can get around most firewalls by making it self in to a safe program like explorer.exe to get access to the internet.

But there are some good firewalls out there that asks you if u want this program to access the internet. That way, if u have got two files with the same name but in differnt locations on ur computer then it will ask u if u would like the second file to contect to the internet or not.
Fri 26/10/01 at 14:59
Regular
""
Have you got a Virus Checker? That did the trick for me. Now I use Nortons Anti Virus to clean my drive and Nortons Internet Security to block the little blighters.

The trojan I had infected my exlorer.exe. Don't know what it did, or how long I had it but after quarantining it, the problem cleared up.
Fri 26/10/01 at 14:46
I hate it when they included a trojan file, and I am just trying to find out how to remove it from my computer, or even disable it from conntecting to the internet. But until I find out how to do this, I have total been disabling the internet connection in the control panel option.

So if anybody know what file I have to edit, to change the start up information I would like to know so that I can check in there?
Fri 26/10/01 at 14:19
Regular
""
I've got a Norton product (Internet Security or something) that you can set to catch all incoming and outgoing web access.

I really am amazed at the amount of sites that have incoming trojan attempts that NIS intercepts. Absolutly loads of them. As well as that, there are certain apps when installed try and connect to the internet on pc bootup (hence the modem starting up).
Fri 26/10/01 at 10:50
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
Have a look in control panel/modem.

Might be in there...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.