GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Tarrant's new rant"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 25/10/01 at 23:23
Regular
Those of you following my progress over the 200+ days I've been registered (I know you're out there) may be surprised to see me in here, but hey.... todays rant is outside of gaming or TV 'n music!

Todays rant is about the youth of today.
What the *hell* is the world coming to? I've just got back from the pub and I'm feeling pretty weird about it. The beer wasn't off, the prices weren't upped, so whats the problem?
Well, here's the thing. I went down the pub with a young lady friend of mine, she's 17, so not quite legal (for pubbage that is). We had a few drinks it was all good. Then she informed me that she was going on to a club later with her sister "Fair enough" I thought.
Then her sister walked in. Her sister and her group of friends - not one of them a day over 14!
14!
In the pub, going on to clubs, what's wrong with that picture?

I sat there politely for as long as I could stand as the level of conversation took a nose dive toward the usual; hair make-up, boys at school.
Er.... hang on, "boys at school?" did I hear that right?

That pretty much saw me off. I made my excuses to the nice girl I'd arrived with and dashed off to catch the last bus.

Hmm.... this is strange, I thought to myself, I seem to be heading home. I'm not in the pub anymore... how did this happen.

Then it hit me. I'd left not because I was a blatant third wheel in this night out, but because I felt too old.

Old!

I'm 19 fecking years old, I'm barely nestled in the haven of legal drinking and I'm leaving pubs because I feel too old. This is insane. Something has gone drasticly wrong with the world. "Old" at 19.
Someone please tell me I've made a mistake and this was a one off!

RAAAAAAAAGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH........... I'm not old!!!!!!!!

Rant over, thankyou for your time/ web space.

Goodnight!
Sat 27/10/01 at 14:52
Regular
It's like a few weeks ago. Me and a couple of mates went down our local. It's not that big a pub and some of it was blocked off for re-decoration. The thing is the place was packed. We got our drinks and nicked a table. Then we started to notice that we knew most of these people. One of my mates used to run the computer centre at a local high school and I used to pop in to see him. most of the kids in the room were 15-16 but then we saw a couple of girls who I know to be 12!! with drinks. OK now I know I used to go down the pub when I was shy of the legal limit but not 12. There not even tenagers. Luckily the landlord saw sense that night and since then the youngest person i've seen in the pub is 17.
Fri 26/10/01 at 20:20
Regular
"Death to the Infide"
Its a completly automatic animal instinct to ape the elder generation. All mammals do it.

However, in a world where instinct and thought collide this leads to several problems.

Like underage sex (always with the male being older than the female, like in the animal world)

underage drug taking (beer dope crack whatever. I dont think anything should be restricted to those over 16, their old enough to take the consequences, but underage drug taking of any form is blantantly wrong)

and violence. So many times I have got in trouble because a 14 year kid started on me and i should have known better. Frankly, i should have been allowed to teach him a lesson.

I know how you feel about felling old. I used to fell annoyed that i didnt go clubbing when i was 14. The i thought 'hang on, im supposed to do that stuff later....'

There is a time and a place for everything, and its called college.
Fri 26/10/01 at 11:48
Regular
"Wasting away"
Those damn fool. The thing with young age is that you want to experience things that you haven't before, and because of this it is droned into your system that you have to act like and idiot. We all want new things and I bet you were once those kids, but now you're older you don't want anything to do with them and I can't blame you.

I prefer to hang around with older people because they are more mature and have more valid opinions rather then these 14 year old 'mates' of mine who still continue to think it's funny by throwing bits of paper around the room. You've been there, you've grown up, you've moved on, simple really.

Oh, and take no crap.
Fri 26/10/01 at 11:26
So I am getting old then?
Thought so..... *head dips slowly*

14 year olds though? I'd gotten used to them being at clubs. No one cares about underage people in clubs, they just care about numbers through the door.

But youngsters invading MY pub! Its not on.

Worse still, they made me go and sit in the pool room, why? to play pool? no that makes too much sense, because the pool bit is further away from the bar and thus their underage ugly mugs mightn't get noticed.

I think part of the reason I left was because I had a bunch of 14 year olds telling me where to sit.

It would have been different if I were out with my regular crowd, but hey.... the lady was pretty, who am I to argue?
Fri 26/10/01 at 10:26
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Similar thing happened to me a couple of years ago that made me wonder if I should start watching Last of The Summer Wine.

Place in Harlow called The Square.
Used to live in there basically, top bands, good beer and you knew everyone there.
A mix of punks, rockers, goths, skaters, guys in suits...just a healthy mix of everyone and never any trouble at all (still hasn't been)

Went back there after an absence of a couple of years and the place was filled with 14-15yr olds looking like Blink 182. I thought "It was never like this when I came here at College"

And then I realised it probably was and that older people then thought me and my mates were samey and childish.
Times dont change, we do.
Fri 26/10/01 at 10:10
Regular
VenomByte wrote:
Though obviously, they tell all their
> mates they had nearer 10 pints....

Of course. Despite the fact that they've only been there a couple of hours.

Another classic site is the ones that get to the pub about 9, think they're really hard. Drink like a trooper for about an hour, then are so drunk they have to go home at about 10.

Fantastic!
Fri 26/10/01 at 09:58
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Your Honour wrote:
have a laugh with your
> mates at all the 17 yr olds that think they're hard because they can handle a
> whopping 4 pints, trust me, it's comedy values at its best!

Though obviously, they tell all their mates they had nearer 10 pints....
Fri 26/10/01 at 09:28
Regular
I think I'll disagree without actually reading the content ;-)
Fri 26/10/01 at 08:44
Regular
I've been following your rants for quite some time mate, I'm a serial rant follower, or something.

Anyway, I agree with you to an extent.

Things aren't quite as bad in Essex, though there are problems. There's a Weatherspoon pub in our town, which I've been drinking at since it opened (I was about 17).

It used to be full of 15/16 year olds, but after a clamp down by the police, you only get a few 17 year olds in there. However, at 20, I feel a bit old sometimes.

The best thing to do is drink more and have a laugh with your mates at all the 17 yr olds that think they're hard because they can handle a whopping 4 pints, trust me, it's comedy values at its best!
Fri 26/10/01 at 00:01
yup, [email protected]

feel free!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.