GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[GAME] Earth Defence Force 2017 "

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Earth Defense Force 2017'.
Mon 24/05/10 at 20:34
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Earth Defence Force 2017
Xbox 360

Imagine my shock when working at my local game store when this game was released. A quick look at the screen shots on the back of the case and a brief skim of the blurb, I was expecting this game to be absolutely dreadful. Viewing the video of the game on Xbox Live Marketplace furthered that low impression.

... So why did I buy the game? I initially made the stupid mistake of looking at the graphics and taking them as the main focus for the game. Indeed, they do look like a mediocre PSOne game. It also looked rather jerky on the video. Honestly I did not think this game stood a chance in the current generation of games.

But then I hired it. I wanted to try something different and I wanted a game that contained aliens as so to be able to review it for Ghosts...and More and Freeola. After playing it, all I can say is that Earth Defence Force 2017 is an intensely brilliant game. Let me explain.

So from the title you gather the year is 2017. Alien spacecraft are seen overhead and a drop giant ant-like aliens that attack the city. The earth have formed a defence group to tackle any alien threat and you play as a normal member of the Earth Defence Force (EDF) and your job is to kill all the aliens. As you can see it is going to win any plot awards!

The aliens aren't just restricted to hordes of Kong-size and, oh no - as the levels progress you face increasing numbers giant spiders, UFOs, skyscraper-high robots and more. Luckily, you have a small team with you and up to 150 weapons at your disposal.

So amongst completing the 50+ levels of mindless blasting of aliens (unlimited ammo as standard) you can collect items that the aliens drop. These aliens have a habit of dropping armour upgrades and weapons, which once collected will provide a permanent increase in health and completing your armoury. This continues on your profile so the upgrades are available at later levels. This provides a self betterment game. If you struggle with a level, you can go back and re-complete levels to increase the stats on your character to give you a better chance on any level you struggle with.

As previously stated, the game has 50+ levels. The game also has a difficulty levels. Due to the fact that each difficulty level changes the basic levels, this equates to approximately a staggering 250 levels to complete.

Gameplay is, quite frankly, rather basic will stop it rarely deviates from starting level, kill aliens, moved to new area, kill more aliens and complete level. You can vary how you play the game, however, you get to take two of your weapons from your armoury. The armoury is quite extensive with weapons ranging from assault rifles and rocket launchers to flamethrowers and grenades. Your load out really does change the way you play the game.

The fun can even be shared off-line or over Xbox Live. From experience, the help of another person will come in very handy, especially on any difficulty above medium. With the third difficulty being “hard” mode, you can imagine that the difficulties “harder” and “inferno” are near impossible!

Overall, the something that initially looks like it belongs in the bargain bin, ready to be bought by someone's granny for unwanted Christmas present, Earth Defence Force 2017 is one of the most brilliant titles I have played on my Xbox. Look pass the dodgy graphics, poor voice acting and the (single sheet) toilet paper thin plot and you will have a fantastic game that will keep you entertained for hours.

I must have game (if you can find a copy)

94%
Wed 26/05/10 at 15:55
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Cheers pb.

It's one that I think that needs to be kept, just to plod away at when games get boring. It's going to take forever to get to 100%!
Wed 26/05/10 at 14:21
"possibly impossible"
Completely agree with you. It's just a good fun game that doesn't take itself seriously. Enjoyed reading that review.
Mon 24/05/10 at 20:34
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Earth Defence Force 2017
Xbox 360

Imagine my shock when working at my local game store when this game was released. A quick look at the screen shots on the back of the case and a brief skim of the blurb, I was expecting this game to be absolutely dreadful. Viewing the video of the game on Xbox Live Marketplace furthered that low impression.

... So why did I buy the game? I initially made the stupid mistake of looking at the graphics and taking them as the main focus for the game. Indeed, they do look like a mediocre PSOne game. It also looked rather jerky on the video. Honestly I did not think this game stood a chance in the current generation of games.

But then I hired it. I wanted to try something different and I wanted a game that contained aliens as so to be able to review it for Ghosts...and More and Freeola. After playing it, all I can say is that Earth Defence Force 2017 is an intensely brilliant game. Let me explain.

So from the title you gather the year is 2017. Alien spacecraft are seen overhead and a drop giant ant-like aliens that attack the city. The earth have formed a defence group to tackle any alien threat and you play as a normal member of the Earth Defence Force (EDF) and your job is to kill all the aliens. As you can see it is going to win any plot awards!

The aliens aren't just restricted to hordes of Kong-size and, oh no - as the levels progress you face increasing numbers giant spiders, UFOs, skyscraper-high robots and more. Luckily, you have a small team with you and up to 150 weapons at your disposal.

So amongst completing the 50+ levels of mindless blasting of aliens (unlimited ammo as standard) you can collect items that the aliens drop. These aliens have a habit of dropping armour upgrades and weapons, which once collected will provide a permanent increase in health and completing your armoury. This continues on your profile so the upgrades are available at later levels. This provides a self betterment game. If you struggle with a level, you can go back and re-complete levels to increase the stats on your character to give you a better chance on any level you struggle with.

As previously stated, the game has 50+ levels. The game also has a difficulty levels. Due to the fact that each difficulty level changes the basic levels, this equates to approximately a staggering 250 levels to complete.

Gameplay is, quite frankly, rather basic will stop it rarely deviates from starting level, kill aliens, moved to new area, kill more aliens and complete level. You can vary how you play the game, however, you get to take two of your weapons from your armoury. The armoury is quite extensive with weapons ranging from assault rifles and rocket launchers to flamethrowers and grenades. Your load out really does change the way you play the game.

The fun can even be shared off-line or over Xbox Live. From experience, the help of another person will come in very handy, especially on any difficulty above medium. With the third difficulty being “hard” mode, you can imagine that the difficulties “harder” and “inferno” are near impossible!

Overall, the something that initially looks like it belongs in the bargain bin, ready to be bought by someone's granny for unwanted Christmas present, Earth Defence Force 2017 is one of the most brilliant titles I have played on my Xbox. Look pass the dodgy graphics, poor voice acting and the (single sheet) toilet paper thin plot and you will have a fantastic game that will keep you entertained for hours.

I must have game (if you can find a copy)

94%

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.