GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Embedding Calendars in websites"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 20/05/10 at 13:14
"Are you sure?"
Hi all,
I would like to embed a calendar into a website so that visitors can check for available appointments etc.

I'm looking for a simple and free solution!

I've been experimenting with Google's Calendar but it has many limitations which make it quite frustrating.

Google announced improvements to their Calendar just this week - but it hasn't helped much!

Before I spend more time with Google's offering I thought I would see if anyone can recommend something different.

I would like to show available/non available times throughout the day. Using different colours would be useful.

Ideally limit the calendar to only display definable office hours etc.

It would be good if someone could click a 'timeslot' and create an email requesting it - but I appreciate this is starting to enter the realms of a full 'booking system'.

Thanks in advance...
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Tue 02/11/10 at 18:25
Regular
I am attempting to get PHP ICalendar ( http://phpicalendar.net/) to work on Freeola. This may be of interest.
Thu 20/05/10 at 17:55
Regular
"Embrace the Martian"
Hmmm... wrote:
> Thanks for that. I had looked at some jQuery based calendars but
> not as 'full' as this.
>
> I've had a quick skim though the docs - I take it you can make
> it 'read only' to visitors?
>
> I'll have a proper read of the docs...
>
> Can you supply a link to your calendar or is it a private one?
>
>
> Another issue would be 'backups' - if I was unlucky using this
> script with the 'Standard' Freeola hosting and there was a
> catastrophic failure and all was lost I guess the calendar data
> would be gone as well? The webserver 7 complete failure hurt me
> :¬(

You would still have to have a back end to it, Eccles has created a jQuery fullcalendar for displaying information from a database. So I presume you would need to store your calendar data somewhere still then feed it into fullcalendar via AJAX request or something else. Unfortunately this is on a private system so we cannot showcase it.

Google Calendar on the other hand provides you with an API to store data on their own system.

You could pull out information from Google Calendar as a .atom feed, parse it in JavaScript and populate the data into the jQuery fullcalendar, but this would take intermediate/advanced JS knowledge.
Thu 20/05/10 at 17:36
"Are you sure?"
Thanks for that. I had looked at some jQuery based calendars but not as 'full' as this.

I've had a quick skim though the docs - I take it you can make it 'read only' to visitors?

I'll have a proper read of the docs...

Can you supply a link to your calendar or is it a private one?

Another issue would be 'backups' - if I was unlucky using this script with the 'Standard' Freeola hosting and there was a catastrophic failure and all was lost I guess the calendar data would be gone as well? The webserver 7 complete failure hurt me :¬(

Thanks again.
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Thu 20/05/10 at 16:20
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
A pretty full on calender (hence it's name), which I've just started using is jQuery Fullcalendar. It should do pretty much everything you want to do providing you take some time to read the documentation.
Thu 20/05/10 at 13:14
"Are you sure?"
Hi all,
I would like to embed a calendar into a website so that visitors can check for available appointments etc.

I'm looking for a simple and free solution!

I've been experimenting with Google's Calendar but it has many limitations which make it quite frustrating.

Google announced improvements to their Calendar just this week - but it hasn't helped much!

Before I spend more time with Google's offering I thought I would see if anyone can recommend something different.

I would like to show available/non available times throughout the day. Using different colours would be useful.

Ideally limit the calendar to only display definable office hours etc.

It would be good if someone could click a 'timeslot' and create an email requesting it - but I appreciate this is starting to enter the realms of a full 'booking system'.

Thanks in advance...
[s]Hmmm...[/s]

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.