GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Footie on PS2"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 25/10/01 at 20:56
Regular
Aahhh... the great game that we invented has seen many guises and on just about every platform known to man, but only a select few ever reach the pinnacle of the sport's true greatness. With the PS2 now firmly in place, the soccer games are beginning to flow, so what better time to take a look at them than the beginning of the 2001/2002 Football League season?

Starting with the games already out, you can't ignore the fact that the majority of them are pretty good. Even the plainly average FIFA 2001 still has the odd glimpse of genius, despite its lack of originality. Although mainly graphical, they still represented a step forward and the game was easily the most visually impressive footie game on the PS2. But its dodgy difficult settings and apparent lack of playibility, along with its reluctance to evolve, have seen it become the whipping boy of footie games. Evolution is one thing ISS hadn't had a problem with. Its PS2 debut was impressive to say the least. Its trademark playibility and passing game were present in abundance, but it wasn't without faults, its graphical inferiority to EA's effort being the most noticeable.

The best newcomer award goes to UEFA Challenge from the Infogrames camp. Full of fast-paced playability and some tasty graphical morsels, it encompassed the best points of both ISS and FIFA, with tons of unlockable secrets to discover. However, its strange mix of real and fake players, combined with annoying load times, made it somewhat tiresome to play. The Roy Keane-fronted International League Soccer was a big disappointment and required a lot of tinkering to make it feel good to play. Graphically ok, but missing real players and licences, it lacked cohesion and the professional feel of the other PS2 titles. Its only saving grace was the unique World Ranking Mode, which allowed you to compare your skills on a dedicated website.

The crowning piece of PS2 footie comes in the guise of Winning Eleven 5, or Pro Evolution Soccer for us Europeans. Although entirely in Japanese, its playability and speed were exemplary, and at long last the ISS series matched and on occassions beat FIFA in the graphics department. The only downpoint being you need a Japanese PS2 to play it, but fear not - it'll be coming to our shores next month.

The future is looking good, with the likes of FIFA 2002 and its revamped passing system that takes a leaf out of ISS's book ready to hit the shores. There's the latest instalment of the incredibly-successful UEFA Champions League from Silicon Dreams, oh and don't forget David Beckham Soccer from Rage. The only problem is what game do you get?

Well here's my quick roundup to help you make up your mind:

International Superstar Soccer
Developer: Konami
Release: Out Now
Uppers - Top quality addictive gameplay, and real team and
player names
Downers - No club teams and uninspiring commentary

Fifa 2001
Developer: EA Sports
Uppers - Superb graphics and realistic movements
Downers - Same old difficulty problems and no better than
Fifa 2000

International League Soccer
Developer: Taito
Uppers - Comfortable controls and a unique World Ranking
Mode
Downers - No official licences and dodgy commentary with
poor camera angles

UEFA Challenge
Developer: Infogrames
Uppers - Fantastic to play and perfectly set difficulty
levels
Downers - Long loading times and a strabge mix of real and
fake players

Winning Eleven 5
Release: Import Only
Uppers - Fast, smooth gameplay and incredibly realistic
ball physics and AI
Downers - Fairly steep learning curve and it's in Japanese

Pro Evolution Soccer (ISS2)
Release: November
What you can expect: More fantastic trademark ISS gameplay
than ever before, combined with superb
AI and graphics. Should be the
definitive PS2 footie game for a long
time to come.

David Beckham Soccer
Developer: Rage
Release: Spring 2002
What you can expect: Well, David Beckham in all his mohican
daftness, I expect. Apparently David
will be consulted throughout the
development process, making sure the
game turns out as good as possible.
Rage will make sure it's a successful
title.

UEFA Champions League Season 2001/02
Developer: Silicon Dreams
Release: Christmas
What you can expect: The full Champions League monty, with
official licences and teams galore. An
all-new game engine promises fantastic
game physics and animations. Look
forward to unique modes of play such as
historical matches and a player and
team editor to create your very own
team too. Plus a bevy of hidden extras
to feed your footie hunger.

Fifa 2002
Developer: EA Sports
Release: November
What you can expect: An innovative passing system complete
with power bars will allow you to pass
the ball into space for players to run
onto, as well as time and weight your
through-balls to perfection. You will
also be able to take your favourite
national team through the World Cup
2002 qualifiers, in all Fifa's
graphical glory. Over 75 licensed
national teams as well as 16 licensed
leagues will be present, making it
possibly the biggest next-gen soccer
game.

Decided yet?
Sun 28/10/01 at 12:31
Regular
"360: swfcman"
Hmm, once Pro Evo is out there will really be no need to buy another football game, unless your after club teams then you will have to get the arcadey Fifa 2002.

I really do doubt that Fifa 2002 will differ all that much from 2001, its sold before so it will sell again, thats what EA will be thinking.

Hope fully, you the people will see through the lisence that sells the game and get the true footie sim that is Pro Evo.
Sun 28/10/01 at 00:41
OrÜega wrote:
> Reload wrote:
But are you in to FIFA 2002 than Pro Evolution
>
> Soccer?

What do you mean by that? Personally i aint going anywhere near a
> FIFA game for the rest of my life. I have stuck with the ISS games since 1997,
> and i will always stay with them. As far as i'm concerned the pro evolution
> series is THE only football game.

i am in agreement.......fifa is FUBAR...........but ISS is excellent.........nothing can compare to its realism and playability...........i await evo soccer on ps2 with much anticipation!!!!
Sat 27/10/01 at 00:41
Regular
Reload wrote:
But are you in to FIFA 2002 than Pro Evolution
> Soccer?

What do you mean by that? Personally i aint going anywhere near a FIFA game for the rest of my life. I have stuck with the ISS games since 1997, and i will always stay with them. As far as i'm concerned the pro evolution series is THE only football game.
Fri 26/10/01 at 19:50
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
Why the hell did you mention Winning Eleven 5 and Pro Evolution for the PS2? They're both the same game! Yeah, I know you mentioned that one was on import, but what is the point? :-D

Heh, anyway, it's Pro Evolution Soccer for me. Mainly because it will be unbeatable in every possible way.

Nuff said.

SHOCKY
Fri 26/10/01 at 19:00
Regular
"Whatever!"
Yeah - This is Football 2002 is a great game!! Hundreds of teams, amazing graphics and simple yet addictive gameplay!! Definately the best footy game so far!!
FIFA 2002 will probably sell the most and its good to see the developers have tweaked the gameplay to rival ISS!!

Pro Evolution Soccer however will be not only the best on PS2 but the best footy game ever!! Cannot wait for it!!
Fri 26/10/01 at 12:34
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
You're right Ortega, TIF 2002 is a great footie sim to hit the market as it comes with great AI and it basically plays a damn great game of football. Thanks for putting me right on that one. But are you in to FIFA 2002 than Pro Evolution Soccer?
Fri 26/10/01 at 01:40
Regular
er hello?! you missed out THIS IS FOOTBALL 2002. the best football game out for the PS2 at the moment. Sure Pro evolution soccer will wipe the floor with it, but TIF 2002 is the next best thing.
Fri 26/10/01 at 00:52
Thanks for the guide on what to buy
Thu 25/10/01 at 22:40
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
That is a big NO, NO?
Thu 25/10/01 at 21:40
Regular
Another copied topic?.........

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.