GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"New Jimmy USA Special Report"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 25/10/01 at 20:27
Regular
Hello everyone, Im in the USA right now so heres the low down from North Carolina!

Ive been visiting a few shops around here, Microsoft are really pushing the Xbox and XP.

Xbox displays are in every big store ElectronicBoutique, Wallmart, Target etc... I was fortunate to play one .... unfortunately although there are a load of rolling demos to watch only the new ODDWORLD game is playable. It aint to good either, basically you navigate Abe and Munch around the demo collecting green balls. There are no bad guys but some switches to push (yes Packman is more exciting!). The playable demo lasts about five mins, but that was long enough to realise that the pad was awfull.

It was quite disapointing really, after all I have a Microsoft sidewinder PC pad and thats quite comfortable, but the handles(grip) on the underside of the Xbox gamepad are just painful... suprising considering the demo was so low pace...but yes my hands hurt.

Of course there are no Nintendo displays in shops yet, but on this showing as long as Nintendo present something before the 15th November when the Xbox launches they could come up trumps.

Most displays have a Xbox,PS2 and a space for the GameCube... so most Americans who buy a new console will most likely play all 3 consoles before making a decision provided Nintendo hurry things up a little.
Thu 25/10/01 at 20:27
Regular
"OLD Newbie"
Hello everyone, Im in the USA right now so heres the low down from North Carolina!

Ive been visiting a few shops around here, Microsoft are really pushing the Xbox and XP.

Xbox displays are in every big store ElectronicBoutique, Wallmart, Target etc... I was fortunate to play one .... unfortunately although there are a load of rolling demos to watch only the new ODDWORLD game is playable. It aint to good either, basically you navigate Abe and Munch around the demo collecting green balls. There are no bad guys but some switches to push (yes Packman is more exciting!). The playable demo lasts about five mins, but that was long enough to realise that the pad was awfull.

It was quite disapointing really, after all I have a Microsoft sidewinder PC pad and thats quite comfortable, but the handles(grip) on the underside of the Xbox gamepad are just painful... suprising considering the demo was so low pace...but yes my hands hurt.

Of course there are no Nintendo displays in shops yet, but on this showing as long as Nintendo present something before the 15th November when the Xbox launches they could come up trumps.

Most displays have a Xbox,PS2 and a space for the GameCube... so most Americans who buy a new console will most likely play all 3 consoles before making a decision provided Nintendo hurry things up a little.
Thu 25/10/01 at 20:39
Regular
"OLD Newbie"
Woops think I logged in wrong, GamesMaster cant remember that.

Anyway to continue Microsoft is really pushing Windows XP here.

In the shop BestBuy (equivalent to say Commet) for example $99 will buy you an XP upgrade then you get all the following free

256mb PC133 ram
a DSL Router
a music CD of your choice
and a MP3 walkman

XP isnt all good though, apparently if you use outlook express or an email client youll need to sign up for a .NET account.

To top it off theres no alternative as Microsoft XP will not run AOL.

Which no doubt means AOL will be sueing Microsoft right now. AOL is the biggest ISP in America so this will be a major annoyance for Americans who upgrade.

This also explains why MSN is now provided free with new PCs for a year. Microsoft is walking a anticompetative tightrope again, except this time the rope may break from under them. AOL are a Big Fish that can stand up to Microsoft!

If you sign up for MSN for when you buy XP (Without a PC) you can also get a $200 spending spree at Best Buy and other US shops. Considering that an ISP in the US cost about $240 a year this means that Microsoft are really trying to pull one over on AOL.

The Future looks interesting, and I for one hope Microsoft gets what it deserves because with XP in my opinion theyve gone to far!

Take Care

New Jimmy.

PS sorry I wont be able to reply for a while as Im in the Library and Ill get kicked off soon :-)
Fri 26/10/01 at 21:31
I just went into Toysrus today, wow a GameCube display...well a DVD was running...it looked nice but the Xbox display is more impressive even if the pad is awful!
Sun 28/10/01 at 01:16
Regular
Can you pick me up a copy of Sin and Punishment for the N64?

:p
Mon 29/10/01 at 23:09
Ill have a look for it next time Im at Wallmart or a VideoGame Shop.
Thu 01/11/01 at 00:40
Unfortunately there was no sign of Sin and Punishment in Target today (another big american shop). However Nintendo has finally got a working GameCube display in the shops.

Unfortunately I only got to play the new WaveRace game, as there were no other games available at Target to play. However it was enough to give me an idea of the poer of the cube, and although not really that impressive it was alot more playable than the odworld demo on the Xbox,... Which explains why I had to wait my turn as the staff members played with their new toy!

The GameCube pad is best described as a mix between an N64 and playstation pad. Its alot more comfortable than the Xbox pad. My only worry is that the start/pause button may be too small...but that aside things are looking up for Nintendo.

If things stay like they are then Nintendo should do quite well this Christmas in the US, and hopefully when it hits the UK it will have an even bigger line up of great games.

More from the US as I get it,

New Jimmy :-)
Thu 01/11/01 at 00:41
Sorry I meant Power of the GameCube !
Thu 01/11/01 at 15:14
Regarding the small start button, I thought that the GBA start and select buttons where too small, but they're perfectly placed to press, and I imagine Nintendo will make sure of the same for the Gamecube pad.

So how much longer are you in the USA for? Will you get to see the launches?

It's good to hear what's going on over there in the stores and the like, rather than from the regular news sites!
Thu 01/11/01 at 15:49
Regular
The GamesMaster wrote:

Of course there are no Nintendo
> displays in shops yet, but on this showing as long as Nintendo present something
> before the 15th November when the Xbox launches they could come up
> trumps.

Well, the Gamecube game Rogue Leader is going to be released before that. There won't be any Gamecubes to play it on though! :-D

Most displays have a Xbox,PS2 and a space for the GameCube... so most
> Americans who buy a new console will most likely play all 3 consoles before
> making a decision provided Nintendo hurry things up a little.

The Gamecube is out on the 18th November in the US I think.
Near that time anyway.

Apparently, both the Xbox and Gamecube are sold out on pre orders anyway!
Fri 02/11/01 at 00:37
Ill be here for the launch, so Ill give you guys the none hyped up low down as I see it.

The GameCubes Start/Pause button is small like the GameBoyAdvances buttons, infact theyre probably the same size. However this shouldnt matter to much as the button is perfectly placed.

Alot now depends on what games get released for each system before the launch as the demos in the shops arent breathtaking. Still Nintendo may do better as it will theoretically be making money off the GameCube and the Games, whereas Microsoft will lose money on the Xbox and most of the profit for games should go to the game developers.

The market is still open and the match is yet to be played, with Americans now aparently scared to shop outside after September 11th, online sales in the US may be more important than displays in Malls. If that trend holds then Microsoft may fair better than I expected originally as they virtually own the internet or are trying to!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.