GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Shaving"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 25/10/01 at 19:57
Regular
You've finnished the main part of the game, what is there left to do?
Time trials. Tearing around those oh so familiar tracks hugging every corner in the search for that perfect racing line. Its fun for a while but in the end what is the point?
There is some satisfaction to be had in beating a time to unlock something or beating your personal best on a difficult track. But then you hit a wall in your progress and the only advances you can make are in the tiny fractions of a second, and for most people no matter how much they try they will never get those really fast times.
In certain magazines they have tables of the fastest times of readers on the games, its a good challenge to try to beat the times of some of the best gamers in the country but some of those times look near impossible to attain
example: diddy kong racing ancient lake, at my fastest with TT on top form I can get around 51 seconds but this is nowhere near the sub 45 second times that are displayed.
(It is the same with donkey kong 64- I practiced on rambi's arena for a stupidly long time for a competition in the official nintendo magazine probably more than 24 hours just playing bash the beavers, I eventually got a top score of 224 and entered it as the previous month around 200 would have got me into the top 10, the next magazine rolled around and I turned to the high score table only to find that I missed out on a top 10 place by 2 points. Now I can't play rambi's arena without somehow feeling that I will never improve no matter what I do.)
The only time I have ever enjoyed time trialing was when my brother was playing on f zero x and set a good time on multi-jump, we constantly beat each others times until he could no longer improve on his time.
This mode is good for adding extra gameplay options to a game especially if there are many tracks (or levels in the case of some fps) to race on but bad if you get stuck early.
Sat 27/10/01 at 01:11
Regular
"Trout a la creme"
Only ever done the rainbow road shortcut once.
Whats the point of racing to get a decent time if you can use a glitch to get your time really low?
(And yes shaving is a pain in the butt, but must be done unless you want to look like chewbacca.)
Fri 26/10/01 at 14:19
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
It's Mario Kart 64 were talking about and yes that has happened to me by the wall next to the tunnel..
Fri 26/10/01 at 13:57
Regular
"Not your monkey"
Spiriatii wrote:
You drove up to the right and used all three of
>
> your mushrooms. Then whats-his-chops comes down and sets you down, you
> drive
> over the finishing line and that's the end of the race!

nope, dont remember that at all - what version of mario kart was this? i am assuming it was mario kart 64. Actually, i don't know if its a bug or not but on the luigi's raceway (very first track) on that game, if you get shot near the tunnel, sometimes you fall through the floor and appear near the finish line. very strange but its happened to me on a number of occassions!!! Anyone else??
Fri 26/10/01 at 13:27
RastaBillySkank wrote:

You drove up to the right and used all three of
> your mushrooms. Then whats-his-chops comes down and sets you down, you drive
> over the finishing line and that's the end of the race!

That's it! And the guy you are referring to is Lakitu :)
Fri 26/10/01 at 13:25
Starlight wrote:
> I remember a track Frappe Snowland I think it's name was where there was a
> glitch which allowed a lap time in under 7 seconds! No lie!

I've done that. You had to reverse over the line or something like that and not touch the track or something. Too long ago for me to remember :)
Fri 26/10/01 at 13:22
Regular
"You've upset me"
Starlight wrote:
> I remember a track Frappe Snowland I think it's name was where there was a
> glitch which allowed a lap time in under 7 seconds! No lie!

Yeah that's right.

You drove up to the right and used all three of your mushrooms. Then whats-his-chops comes down and sets you down, you drive over the finishing line and that's the end of the race!

Incidentally, the best time I got on Frappe Snowland was 6.3 seconds :-D
Fri 26/10/01 at 13:18
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
I remember a track Frappe Snowland I think it's name was where there was a glitch which allowed a lap time in under 7 seconds! No lie!
Fri 26/10/01 at 13:05
Not forgetting the Wario Stadium wall hop... If you were good enough you could get a time of 21 seconds for the whole track! I never even managed to do that one lap, let alone three... :(
Fri 26/10/01 at 13:00
Starlight wrote:

You must be thinking of
> Royal Raceway and no it's definently Mario Raceway that you jump the wall for
> those ridiculously stupid fast times.

Oh yeah! Sorry I didn't read your post properly. :)
And depending on which side of the wall you land on, you can shave off either a quarter or half the lap, depending on which side of the fork you land on.

I remember trying (and failing) to do that for ages...
Fri 26/10/01 at 12:58
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
Spiriatii wrote:
> Yes I remember that shortcut... But I thought the track was Peach
> raceway?

Theres no such track..

You must be thinking of Royal Raceway and no it's definently Mario Raceway that you jump the wall for those ridiculously stupid fast times.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.