GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What's in a name?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 25/10/01 at 19:37
Regular
Eighties pop group Frankie Goes To Hollywood. Postman Pat. Harrowing Vietnam movie Platoon. The Volkswagen Beetle. Manchester United. Big Brother. Paul Hardcastle's song '19'. Heck, even Edd the Duck. What do they all have in common? They've been licensed for use as computer games. And now, with news that Terminator is returning to our joypads (foolowing a lukewarm tie-in to the film Terminator 2 ten years ago), it seems that the boom in licensed games is returning once more.

It's easy to see the advantage to the publisher. Instead of trying to push over a new concept to the buying public every time they come up with a new game, they simply buy the rights to use something we're already familiar with, pretty much let the finished product sell itself and occasionally (but only if we're good), throw in a good game for the buying public at the end of it all. But therein lies the problem. The graveyard of mediocre licensed videogames is full to bursting point, with queues right around the block waiting to get in. Why? Because having spent all that money on the licance, chances are there's not so much left in the development pot, and if we're all going to buy the damn thing anyway on the strength of the name, where's the incentive to the software company to spend ages making something worthwhile to put in the box? Oh, we are cynics. However, every now and then, a developer manages to take a licence, and genuinely use it to enhance their game, and it's moments like these that make it all worthwhile. Take Ocean Software back in the early 90s. The company, previously criticised for its templated approach to movie licences (take big film, turn into a series of sub games which increasingly got worse with each release - examples include NAVY SEALs and Total Recall), had an early first person-shooter on its roster that they applied the Robocop licence to. And hey presto, what was before a good enough game in its own right was cleverly enhanced by proper application of the licence. Everyone's a winner!

Of course, when licensed games are good enough they turn into money mints for companies concerned. The PSone game Who Wants To Be A Millionaire has sold more than a million copies in this country alone across all formats (a staggering achievement, thus leading to inevitable sequels), whilst at various points in the past ten years, games featuring the likes of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, WWF Wrestling and The Simpsons have also bolstered the bank accounts of those concerned. At one point, licensed games were so prevalent that it got to the point where magazine news pages were nothing more than lists of who had signed what, and for publishers, they know if they marry the right game to the right licence, they're laughing all the way to the bank (FIFA series, anyone?).

But something had to give. Consumers began to realise the big licence did not necessarily lead to a good game, and as the market got wiser, licensed games became less successful. Sure, the ones that had a big enough name (think Star Wars, Star Trek etc) still sold, but for long-term shelf-life, we began to demand - and partially got - better games. Thus, the formulaic way of bringing films, TV shows and such like to the gaming world had to cahnge - and it did. Not for nothing are there very few, if any games on the PS2 that sell on the strength of their licence alone, with FIFA the possible exception.

For perhaps the best example of successful usage of licensing in the modern gaming world lies in the EA sports range. Here, the company have snagged licences to the likes of FIFA, Cricket World Cup, NBA, NHL and so on, building up a portfolio of official sporting titles covering all interests, and thus regular income into the EA account. Here again though is an example of how licensing has evolved. How many of you out there actually went and bought FIFA 2001 because it had the endorsement of football's world governing body? Chances are, more of you were swayed by the EA sports brand, the reputation of the FIFA games, generally positive reviews and the pretty pictures on the back of the box. Feel free to post in and disagree.

PC owners got probably the best recent example of a licensed game in the form of Alien vs Predator. It's a title that unites the oh-so-popular first-person shooting genre with the tension, moodiness and - occasionally - all out action of the Alien movies. Genuinely a game you may need to play with the lights on, and certainly better than any of the Alien games that have made it onto any other format. Bah!

So what now? Now, we're at the point where licences now aren't necessarily the be all and end all of the title. Gran Turismo 3 has licensed several cars for use in the game, but none appear on the front of the box - which would have been unheard of even five years ago. Certainly a good licence can work wonders - look at the mega-hit Who Wants To Be A Millionaire for example - but do you honestly feel that the likes of Metal Gear Solid 2 needs a licence to sell it? Me neither. For the market has grown up. A licence may work wonders for the first week's sale of a game, but should a publisher fail to attach the requisite quality game, we've got plenty of other titles out there to keep us entertained. And believe me, I'm more happy to play them instead.
Fri 26/10/01 at 00:17
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
Sorry, Mr Nice Guy, and everyone! It was a silly mistake (copying three reviews) that shall never be repeated! Now I hope I can finally get to know some of you better?!
Thu 25/10/01 at 22:43
Regular
"Wasting away"
Reload wrote:

Answerthat one, 'Mr Smart Guy'!

How am I mean't to argue with someone who is always 'right'? You can't do it so I'm not going to even bother, you'll have to ask MJ about this one as he knows more then me, but to be honest I don't really care, you copied. End of story. But you did actually make it worse on yourself by having a go at me and denying your innocence to start with, now shall we leave it there? Or do you want to carry on?
Thu 25/10/01 at 22:34
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
It seems to me I can't win! Mr Nice Guy, I do not change accusations thrown at me to what I want, I'm trying to prove my flaming innocence! And for the last time (begging this time), give me a break! I may have copied reviews, but the Soldier of Fortune review that actually won was certainly not copied (research all you like and I'm sure you'll find this statement to be true). The people at Special Reserve aren't dumn you know, they can see a copied review or raised topic when they read them! This is why most of my 'copied' reviews noticeably haven't won a gameaday. My discussion topics, however, are a totally different story. The topics I raise are definitely, and truthfully, not copied. And once again I'm sure they'll spot a copied discussion when they see one, but what I still don't understand is where the hell can you copy a discussion from? Answer that one, 'Mr Smart Guy'!
Thu 25/10/01 at 22:25
Regular
Reload copied can't we just leave it at that?

Unless it's gonna break out into a fight, cause i'm all up for that
Thu 25/10/01 at 22:24
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
I think now is the time to stop and let SR staff deal with it (if they see a reason to ) we can all accuse and show our proof but its not up to us if he gets banned or punished thats up to Tony and the other staff. So I say let this rest until the staff have the time to check up on things.
Thu 25/10/01 at 22:20
Regular
"Wasting away"
Well this has proved to be a popular topic with (At time of post) 105 replies and not a single one related to the topic. Reload has been found out and yet he still denies it and claims he isn't gulity. Every question thrown at him he changes it into what he wants and throws it back, but with not the right answer. So, what do you think will happen over this? And I'm sorry for copying your post Ali :)
Thu 25/10/01 at 22:18
Regular
Reload wrote:

I'm still INNOCENT even if the jury states GUILTY!

All I have to say is congradulations mate...I thought you were a great poster...until Tom gave me a few URLs. Now you have no respect coming from me.

Also, we CAN get over this...you on the other hand, CAN'T. YOu will be banned now we have proof. I have been banned for much less than this. Winning for a copied piece of writing is wrong and also illegal as Aliboy pointed out.

MJ
Thu 25/10/01 at 22:17
Regular
"Wasting away"
Im not acusing anyone here but this does seem a good time to bring up a certain aspect of copyright and plagarism. Both of which are illegal and you could end up with a heafty fine (or maybe worse) I know SR have your e-mail addy and home address and also ISP number (so you can be traced) which means if you are indeed copying (this is to everyone) then be warned of the problems that may face youif you continue to do it.
If I knew of someone stealing something that I hadpersonally written then I wouldn't be happy and would like the person to be dealt with accordingly. So if anyone is copying then I would admit it now andstop.

Ooops.
Thu 25/10/01 at 22:16
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
Of course I've got tricks handy such as the moonwalk or maybe even a couple of card tricks, but definitely not CHEATING!!! This is the last time I'm going to adress this matter because I really cannot be bothered to prove my innocence! See ya, I'm flaming starving!

RELOAD LEAVES FORUM

"What a damn lier and a cheater, glad he's gone though" (RastaBillySkank).

"Yeah and what a coward, can't just admit it" (Mr Nice Guy)

All I can say for now is GET OVER IT!

I'm still INNOCENT even if the jury states GUILTY!
Thu 25/10/01 at 22:16
Regular
MJswerve
"Val][-][allA-Recoil"
Regular stats
Today at 1.43PM

Posted the following in Reloads "Why is the X-Box so big?" topic:

Hang on a second...am I seeing things? Is it just me or did reload just reply to one of his topics? WOW! Never seen this before....mind you after seeing your copied reviews anything is possible.

Tom told me about this yesterday...I make a smarmy remark about it this morning, as usual, no one sees it. But anyways, the cheat has been found out and the truth has been brought to the surface.

MJ

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.