GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Wanna-Be Web Designer..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 25/10/01 at 11:39
Regular
I hate the term "Website Designer". Aparently this is what I do for a living but I wouldn't see myself as one!

I've been creating sites since before the dawn of WYSIWYG and Dreamweaver spending ages coding by hand in Notepad and debugging in IE3. I originally started out at 17 as a Designer engineer creating drawings for the construction of recyclying machinery in AutoCad. After about a year of this, I got bored, I wanted to continue with what I did best... Graphic Design.

I eventually landed a job as a Graphic Designer at 18 for a small firm in Oxfordshire. The job was great, I spent all day creating Corporate Identities, brochoures, computer graphics and at one point I was invilved the the creation of Sony's WebTV interface but again I found the medium boring.

Whilst all of this was going on, I discovered the internet. I had previously come across HTML in it's more complicated form SGML in the creation of text and could see the future of online media. the other thing that attracted me was the ability to constantly push the limits of the technology, something you can only do so far with paper! Eventually i became the companys only website designer looking after the 4 sites that they hosted. There previous work was abismal, badly designed and badly put together. A company who prided themselves on 15years or graphic design had no idea how to use this new medium and how to egt the tecnology to work for you.

After 2 years, I landed a job with the Worlds largest academic publisher as a website designer. When I joined, they had just discovered MSFrontPage and where building average sites using it. but this point I had mastered HTML and discovered Dreamweaver2 and convinced them to change.

Anyway, the point of this post...

I hate those poeple out there who claim to be "website designers", the type that do it for friends at home in their bedroom and call themselves "website designers" just because thay can slap a couple of pages together in a WYSIWYG tool and get it to look "cool" in IE5... This isn't website design... Creating a website is more than just this, much more...

Making a site look cool is only the start. Anyone can do this, this was the mistake many of my fellow graphic designers made in the transition, they focused too much on making it look cool with pixel perfect images and layouts and then complained because it looked awefull on Mr. X's lynx browser...

The internet was design to allow people to access information from anypoint in the world on any device capable of reading HTML, something it has managed quite successfully but something a lot of people have forgotten.

There is an underlying technology, one which needs to be understood and nurtured. So many of you slate HTML for being too basic, but how many of you have gone farther than this and pushed it to see what you can do? To many of you fall into the trap of jumping on the "Latests Trends" bandwagon?

How many of you understand the differences between browser types and platforms and why they exist?
How many of you think about coulor depth, scaling and scaleability?
How may of you know what CSS elements work where and why?
and how many of you understand degridation?
How many of you test your sites?

The most comon questions I get these days surround things like...

Why does my table structure fall apart in NS6 and not IE5?
Why doesn't my CSS work all of the time?
What the differences between IE3 and IE6?

Your sites should be viewable on ALL browsers whether it be the latest version of IE or the 1994 Mozilla engine. This was the aim of the internet and buy understanding the tecnology behind it all, you can account for all of these differences... That is true Website Design.

When you next create a site, ask youself questions...

who is the intended audience?
Is it accessable by all?
Is it useable?
What's the point?
What will it support?
What support do you offer?

Anyone can create a site these days and a majority of those people are responsible for the 85million pages of twaddle that exist out the on the WWW. These day's I refuse to accept anyone who claims to be a website designer just because they can use Dreamweaver... I can use Quark, but this doesn't make me an author! Agencies won't employ you just because you know how to create a page in Dreamweaver, they're looking for much more these days, one of those being an understanding of the technology, the history and the future...

I changed my job title after a year, I nolonger want to be seen as a Website designer but more of an Website technology and Graphic Designer... It maybe cool to say to your friends "I'm a website designer" but when you get into your 20's, you watch people cringe and grimmace at that term, it's almost embarracing!!

Learn, Understand, Experience and Learn again...
Mon 29/10/01 at 14:08
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
ajg wrote:
> Surely a designer designs the site and the developer programs it. Thats it. End if story.

Our Designers/Producers design the sites and concentrate on the HTML/CSS side of things and sometimes the JS. Our Developers do all the backend work like ASP, XML, XSLT etc. Some comapnies define the roles differently, some designers I know of just make graphical representations of a site, pass it onto someone else to do the HTML and then onto someone else for the backend... We just cut out the middle guy!

> if you make any money from what you do, you can be classed as a professional.

Thank God for that... Now I know what I'm being paid for!!
Mon 29/10/01 at 12:47
Regular
""
Surely a designer designs the site and the developer programs it. Thats it. End if story.

Larger companies have seperate teams to do this, whereas with smaller ones or individuals, it can be done by the same person.

- experience
- time it takes
- amount of money made

doesn't come in to the job title.

if you make any money from what you do, you can be classed as a professional.
Mon 29/10/01 at 08:13
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Web Designer...

Someone who hates his job, fed up of trying to keep clients happy and hates the damn job title "Web Designer" - Thats me!!:-)

Web developer/programmer - serious person who makes decent well planned sites. Well that's me too!!
Fri 26/10/01 at 19:16
Regular
Web designer - someone trying to make a quick buck using Dreamweaver

Yep Thats me! :-)
Fri 26/10/01 at 16:35
Regular
Web designer - someone trying to make a quick buck using front page

Web developer/programmer - serious person who makes decent well planned sites.
Thu 25/10/01 at 20:23
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
I want to do something like web Desgining.

I am 13...i mean just turned 14 and I am QUITE good!

But, places like the RAF are good if you want to just start out in a computer job. As you get sponsered throughout University, you have a wage, you aren't starting off with much work and you are working with computers. And then once you are done, you can join somewhere like a good computers or internet service etc. or start your own.

I have just finished my first proper site on www.zpgamer.co.uk, I am quite proud of it myself actually!!
Thu 25/10/01 at 15:57
Regular
"No Surprises Please"
I like to think of myself as being a ěWeb Designerî but I know Iím not. Yes, Iíve created many sites before, but 99% of these have been for myself. I know Iím not a professional web designer but I think of it this way, Iím only 15. Iím 15, but Iím already fluent in HTML and I also know a lot of JavaScript. I have begun learning PHP and it is going along great.

I can use fireworks to good effect and I can also use Flash. This may not seem a lot to most of you that do it for a living, but I still have many years of education ahead of me where I will learn new things and techniques, so one day, I hope, I will become a Professional.
Thu 25/10/01 at 15:41
Regular
LOL

I would continue this funny, yet useless conversation, but Im...... erm..... Busy........ honest! :-)
Thu 25/10/01 at 15:36
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Dav1d wrote:
> Tyla wrote:
> ... were already the best!!

OK, Now youre just get
> bigheaded!

*Gets pin and pops Tyla's head*

:-D

*Tyla's head explodes into a gooy mess of JS, HTML, and ActionScript...*
Thu 25/10/01 at 15:31
Regular
Tyla wrote:
> ... were already the best!!

OK, Now youre just get bigheaded!

*Gets pin and pops Tyla's head*

:-D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.