GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Resident Evil DVD Review"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 06/06/03 at 20:32
Regular
I first heard that Resident Evil was going to be made into a feature film through the Internet grapevine. I immediately wrote it off as another two-bit game-to-movie disaster in the making and happily forgot all about it. Months later, I found myself watching this cool looking trailer in a theatre and was shocked at the end when it turned out to be for RE.

I wasn't, however, about to plunk down 10 bucks to see it in a theatre. I've learned my lesson after wasting money time and time again on obscenely horrible game-to-movie translations like Wing Commander and the vomit-inducing suckfest that was Tomb Raider. There is no such thing as a good game-to-movie translation. Wait. Scratch that. There is no such thing as any game-to-movie translation that doesn't suck total ass. Period. I haven't forgotten about you guys either, Mortal Kombat, Super Mario Brothers and Street Fighter.

Damn, that trailer sure did look sweet though, even if that dropkicking of the zombie dog was a little on the cheesy side. I decided to cut my losses at bucks and check out the DVD. To my utter disbelief, Resident Evil succeeds as a terrific example of how to turn a great game into a good movie.

The film is loosely based on the game series in that there is a creepy mansion and an eventual outbreak of that nasty T-Virus. Other than that, the plot is entirely original and exists outside the game world. A smart move, as it makes the story equally accessible to gamers and non-gamers alike.

In truth, Resident Evil is a B movie with an A movie budget, but that's what makes this film so charming. Like a James Bond film, you know going into it that there's a certain amount of "willing suspension of disbelief" required before you take the plunge. Once you do, you'll be pleasantly surprised at every corner. At its heart, RE's just a zombie frag-fest, but they've taken care to add a nice degree of depth to the plot without diluting things with endless techno-babble (like so many sci-fi flicks these days). They setup the silly science rules early on and stick to them, while maintaining an intriguing Living-Dead-meets-Aliens style throughout. Pacing is excellent, and there's rarely a suspense-free moment.

Many of the characters may not have quite as much depth to them as the storyline, but they fill their roles well, with strong performances by Milla Jovovich and Michelle Rodriguez’ breasts. Members of the zombie horde, both computer generated and hand-crafted by make-up artists, are quite stunning and kick the spook factor into high gear. It works especially well against the "sanitized lab" backdrops.

The DVD interface has stylish menus and includes the full compliment of standard DVD paraphernalia, such as director commentaries, trailers, and "The making of..." videos, etc. But what really matters in the end is that it's an entertaining movie to watch, even if you have little, or no, experience with the game series. Unlike the many unfortunate Boob Raiders of the game-to-movie world, I would actually pay to see the RE sequel in a theatre.
Fri 06/06/03 at 20:32
Regular
"waiting 4 Matrix 3"
I first heard that Resident Evil was going to be made into a feature film through the Internet grapevine. I immediately wrote it off as another two-bit game-to-movie disaster in the making and happily forgot all about it. Months later, I found myself watching this cool looking trailer in a theatre and was shocked at the end when it turned out to be for RE.

I wasn't, however, about to plunk down 10 bucks to see it in a theatre. I've learned my lesson after wasting money time and time again on obscenely horrible game-to-movie translations like Wing Commander and the vomit-inducing suckfest that was Tomb Raider. There is no such thing as a good game-to-movie translation. Wait. Scratch that. There is no such thing as any game-to-movie translation that doesn't suck total ass. Period. I haven't forgotten about you guys either, Mortal Kombat, Super Mario Brothers and Street Fighter.

Damn, that trailer sure did look sweet though, even if that dropkicking of the zombie dog was a little on the cheesy side. I decided to cut my losses at bucks and check out the DVD. To my utter disbelief, Resident Evil succeeds as a terrific example of how to turn a great game into a good movie.

The film is loosely based on the game series in that there is a creepy mansion and an eventual outbreak of that nasty T-Virus. Other than that, the plot is entirely original and exists outside the game world. A smart move, as it makes the story equally accessible to gamers and non-gamers alike.

In truth, Resident Evil is a B movie with an A movie budget, but that's what makes this film so charming. Like a James Bond film, you know going into it that there's a certain amount of "willing suspension of disbelief" required before you take the plunge. Once you do, you'll be pleasantly surprised at every corner. At its heart, RE's just a zombie frag-fest, but they've taken care to add a nice degree of depth to the plot without diluting things with endless techno-babble (like so many sci-fi flicks these days). They setup the silly science rules early on and stick to them, while maintaining an intriguing Living-Dead-meets-Aliens style throughout. Pacing is excellent, and there's rarely a suspense-free moment.

Many of the characters may not have quite as much depth to them as the storyline, but they fill their roles well, with strong performances by Milla Jovovich and Michelle Rodriguez’ breasts. Members of the zombie horde, both computer generated and hand-crafted by make-up artists, are quite stunning and kick the spook factor into high gear. It works especially well against the "sanitized lab" backdrops.

The DVD interface has stylish menus and includes the full compliment of standard DVD paraphernalia, such as director commentaries, trailers, and "The making of..." videos, etc. But what really matters in the end is that it's an entertaining movie to watch, even if you have little, or no, experience with the game series. Unlike the many unfortunate Boob Raiders of the game-to-movie world, I would actually pay to see the RE sequel in a theatre.
Fri 06/06/03 at 20:37
Regular
sorry, I didn't read all that, but how does it compare to 28 days later, if you've seen that
Sat 07/06/03 at 12:58
Regular
"Best Price @ GAME :"
I downloaded it about two weeks ago, watched it last weekend and went out and bought it on DVD, and the soundtrack, yesterday because it is a really good film for gamers, and the soundtrack is good too.
Sat 07/06/03 at 13:23
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
Borat Sagdiyev wrote:
> sorry, I didn't read all that, but how does it compare to 28 days
> later, if you've seen that

It doesn't :D

If horror movies were music, Resi Evil would be .. hm .. Slipknot. In your face style. 28 Days Later would be very indie. And let me be telling you, in this scenario, you want indie!
Sat 07/06/03 at 13:39
I dont like the resident evil film, i PERSONALLY thought it was crap...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.