GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Rollercoasters and Games"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 25/10/01 at 00:09
Regular
At around 4pm yesterday I sat strapped into my seat, clutching the handlebars to each side of me I prepared myself for the ultimate experience of Oblivion. Now luckily for me this wasnít the oblivion where you are destroyed or sent into another world where time doesnít exist and you never die, oh no, this was the worlds first vertical roller coaster at Alton Towers.

Youíve probably already been on this ride before and think itís childís play now, but I have a point to this all for you see at around 4:05pm, the ride got a malfunction. Everything was shut down and being the loving FOG Prime person that I am this gave me another brilliant, idea that Iíll put into words for you now.

While stuck on this ride, an idea suddenly popped into my head. Games are so similar to these rides, but at the time, while my legs were dangling below me, I couldnít think of any reasons why games were so similar, but I kept ticking the idea over and over all the laughter and confusion it finally clicked.

The length of the ride - This determines the amount of effort put into making the game, all the details behind the scenes that weíre never likely to see or hear about, all we see is the final product: the gameplay. Your more likely to enjoy a ride that lasts for a long time, you waited so long in the queue, you want your pennies worth, especially if itís the theme parkís best ride. If you want to attract people to the ride (Game) then you have to put in the money and publicity, there are no other ways around it. This shows how long the game took to make and how much effort went in. Did they want to light the fireworks? Or just make something small that went unnoticed? The length is how patient people can be and determines what genre it is, you donít put a ride like Oblivion in Thorpe Park, it just wouldnít belong.

The Twists And Turns ñ It all needs to be planned perfectly, every single detail needs to be added, there can be nothing wrong with it, nothing that is out of place and most of all everything has to look right or it wonít work. This reflects the storyline of the games. Everything has to be thought out and nothing to chance, you have to give them something unexpected at the end and show them one thing and give them another.

The Breakdowns ñ This is the same in games, when making the rides you need to know all about what youíre doing, how to fix it and make it bug free. Every programme has its troubles, but itís their job to make sure this doesnít happen. They have to make it ësafeí for people to use and enjoyable at the same time, as the technology has improved so had the ability and now it has to be more realistic and exciting yet still reliable.

The Height Restrictions ñ This is the age certificate on games, you have to be so old to play on this game, just like you have to be so high to go on the rides. Itís something that is required for the safety of yourself; whilst on a ride you hold the possibility of falling out and plummeting to your death, on a game you stand the chance of being affected in a mental manner. They prevent you from going in areas that are unsuitable for you for your own safety and should not be ignored.

The Testers ñ In games you get people to test to make sure everything is fine and works well, the same applies to rides. You need to make sure theyíre enjoyable, reliable and just something that anyone can enjoy no matter how old.

The Queue Length ñ This is just how popular the game is. Sometimes you have to book to get on the ride; you might have to turn up early or even stand in a queue for hours, all sound familiar? Well youíd be right to think this is the same, you might have to book in advance, wait months until more are in stock or stand outside the shop just waiting for it too open.

Terror Factor ñ This one is a hard one to explain, but Iím going to relate it to the difficulty of the game. The more terrifying the rides then maybe the less people will go on them, or maybe weíre all daredevils nowadays. But the harder the game, for example Commandos Beyond The Call Of Duty, then it will mean more people wonít want another look. Itís tackling something that is hard, to you or just in general. Or maybe you could turn this the other way around and say you love that thrill of facing death and you love things, which are a challenge to yourself. Either way makes no difference.

The End Of The Ride ñ This is the last you see of it, this is the part where you are left wishing there was more and then left with the disappointment that there isnít. It leaves you on a high note as itís the last part you will experience and will make you come back (Buy the sequel) just to ride it again.

The Entrance Fee ñ This is the console itself, before you even get to go on the ëridesí you have to pay a huge fee to get on them. The fee is the most expensive bit of everything that stands before you and unfortunately the same applies to games, before you can get your hands on the games you have to pay the price to get the console.

Thanks for reading and any opinions on anything else that you can tie in with games would be humorous and good to read.

Mr Nice Guy
Fri 26/10/01 at 13:46
Regular
"Not your monkey"
Mr Nice Guy wrote:

That sounds
> scary. But a lot of people on here are older then me and more intellectual then
> me. I'm 14, I hate school and I hate English. I don't read and I never will.
> See? Anyone should be able to read it, I don't know any fancy words to use.

For someone who hates english you are very good at it. Oh and Rasta is 12 so he younger than you!! :D
Fri 26/10/01 at 13:44
Regular
"Wasting away"
Gangster Hamster wrote:

It was too intellegent for people in here i think. Just look at the level of conversation in the 'longest thread'.It is currently about turbonutter's sexuality resembling a banana. I kid you not

That sounds scary. But a lot of people on here are older then me and more intellectual then me. I'm 14, I hate school and I hate English. I don't read and I never will. See? Anyone should be able to read it, I don't know any fancy words to use.
Fri 26/10/01 at 13:27
Regular
"You've upset me"
Gangster Hamster wrote:
it was too intellegent for people
> in here i think. Just look at the level of conversation in the 'longest thread'.
> It is currently about turbonutter's sexuality resembling a banana. I kid you
> not

And I swear that has nothing to do with me... *Runs off*
Fri 26/10/01 at 13:23
Regular
"Not your monkey"
Mr Nice Guy wrote:
>Oh well, this topic did well. All of my precious time into >it and look
> what happened.

it was too intellegent for people in here i think. Just look at the level of conversation in the 'longest thread'. It is currently about turbonutter's sexuality resembling a banana. I kid you not
Fri 26/10/01 at 13:07
Regular
"Wasting away"
Turbonutter wrote:

Rollercoasters.

Umm what exactly was that mean't to mean? Oh well, this topic did well. All of my precious time into it and look what happened.
Fri 26/10/01 at 01:45
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Rollercoasters.
Fri 26/10/01 at 00:51
AAAARGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!

That's one of my fears! I can not play in games!

No, seriously, I can't go on Rollorcoasters, I just can't, it's a phobia of mine. I don't know why I'm like that but I just am! I just can't stand Rollorcoasters!! Ironic really, I love F1 and Speed and I am not afraid of heights!

But just the word Rollorcoasters sends shivers down my spine!
Thu 25/10/01 at 18:35
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Can't comment on the post other than it was worth the read, Good post.
Thu 25/10/01 at 14:48
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
Hey! I didn't know you were capable of such writing and descriptiveness! :-D

On a serious point, that was an excellent read, Tom, well done. I like the way you imagines console to be like rides, you explained your ideas well. I recently had an idea that had something along the same idea as this. But I wasn't able to put it into words just as yet! :D

Heh, I'd like to visit Alton Towers one day, or even Blackpool Pleasure beach!

But we don't have the bloody money :(

SHOCKY
Thu 25/10/01 at 13:32
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
That was an exceptional read! I've always enjoyed games that take a good month of play to get anywhere into it. I find games today are a bit quick to finish.

I would like to go to Alton Towers. I've only been to Thorpe Park. It isn't bad.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.