GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Future for Arcades over?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 24/10/01 at 22:00
Regular
Do you know what really annoys me that's happening a lot right now? Arcades closing! Been in one recently? Once was the time I'd pop in any I passed, just to see what awesome machines were in. But now they're just filled with broken Daytona coin-ops, two saddos on the old Street Fighter, and an alcoholic sea-hag playing the fruities and carrying what looks like a carrier bag full of her own faeces.

Fact is, arcades are dying. It's no surprise. Home machines are as good, if not better. And console conversions come out maybe only a month after the machines. But it worries me because coin-ops are the Formula One of gaming. They advance the technology.
Sega and Namco's epic battles never really took place on Playstation and Saturn (thankfully). It was in the arcades. When Namco responded to Virtua Racing with Ridge Racer, Sega didn't just bring out Daytona, it brought out a whole new arcade system. In three years we went from the cardboard cut-outs in Virtua Fighter to the swishing pantaloons of VF3.

Yu Suzuki, the genius who pioneered car, bike and fighter plane games with OutRun, Hang-On and Afterburner, insisted on new hardware everytime he made a new game. Mind you, he was mucked that one up a tree when he made F355 Challenge. A lavish Ferrari cockpit experience so authentic you just slid around like a novice and got a printout to show how rubbish you were.

And then there's the peripherals. Virtua Cop refined the home lightgun. Would Time Crisis exist if Namco hadn't built the arcade pedal? Think music games like Dance Stage and Samba De Amigo would have been pioneered without the public testing ground? True, the home add-ons are expensive and rarely prove popular, but that's even more reason for coin-ops. Without the gun, Silent Scope will never have the same sniper feel at home, but it's the blockbuster experiences that will really die with the arcades. The booming cannons you hold for LA Machine Guns, that full-size pod in Star Wars Racer.

Don't forget the spectacular, bizarro one-offs. Prop Cycle, a flying bike game that blows wind in your face. Drum Mania, complete with high-hats and sticks. Final Furlong, four-player horse-racing complete with whipping. The Lost World: Jurassic Park, a jeep game with lightguns, theatrical sound and curtains. Not only can these never come home, but with no arcade audience they'll never be made again.

So when you sit down to play Tony Hawks 3 this christmas, just imagine an arcade version like Top Skater with its board . Alternatively, take your fella out of your hand, pull up your pants and go support your arcade. Just don't play Capcom Vs SNK2, unless you're using the maracas...
Thu 25/10/01 at 12:48
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
I agree with you dogbert. Arcades need to have top updated games not those old dirtbag of machines that just hang around to make the arcade look good. I find them a waste of money!
Thu 25/10/01 at 10:48
I agree with your post about arcades. There was once a time, according to my parents, where they went to there local pub/arcade to play pac man and frogger. Nowadays you can play them free on the internet, on mobile phones or updated into 3D on PC and Playstation. The same type of thing is happening with Rally, F1 and Fighting games, this is mainly because of cost - 15 goes on an arcade machine is the same price as a budget range racing game, and most arcade machines are so old that they use budget games. Maybe if arcades cost half the price with exclusive up to date games then they would be more popular.
Wed 24/10/01 at 22:33
One has to strive for perfection.
Wed 24/10/01 at 22:23
I wrote:

> misteke

mistake
Wed 24/10/01 at 22:23
Thanks for pointing that out DeltaJava.

My life was going to end before you corrected that spelling misteke.
Wed 24/10/01 at 22:17
I wrote:

> If ont, try again.

If *not*
Wed 24/10/01 at 22:11
A bit of duckin n divin then.
Wed 24/10/01 at 22:09
It's a Hit and Run, In and Out thing, wehatever you want to call it. Like the operations held in Taliban territory, you get in (i.e. the forums), do your thing (post the GAD attempt), and get out (don't reply). If you're successful ,you win (a GAD). If ont, try again.
Wed 24/10/01 at 22:03
Regular
Reload wrote:

Alternatively, take your fella out of your
> hand, pull up your pants and go support your arcade. Just don't play Capcom Vs
> SNK2, unless you're using the maracas...

I am sorry....but that has too be the sickest thing I have ever heard said on these forums........

Why do you never hang around and reply to your topics by the way Reload....not very sociable or something?

MJ
Wed 24/10/01 at 22:00
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
Do you know what really annoys me that's happening a lot right now? Arcades closing! Been in one recently? Once was the time I'd pop in any I passed, just to see what awesome machines were in. But now they're just filled with broken Daytona coin-ops, two saddos on the old Street Fighter, and an alcoholic sea-hag playing the fruities and carrying what looks like a carrier bag full of her own faeces.

Fact is, arcades are dying. It's no surprise. Home machines are as good, if not better. And console conversions come out maybe only a month after the machines. But it worries me because coin-ops are the Formula One of gaming. They advance the technology.
Sega and Namco's epic battles never really took place on Playstation and Saturn (thankfully). It was in the arcades. When Namco responded to Virtua Racing with Ridge Racer, Sega didn't just bring out Daytona, it brought out a whole new arcade system. In three years we went from the cardboard cut-outs in Virtua Fighter to the swishing pantaloons of VF3.

Yu Suzuki, the genius who pioneered car, bike and fighter plane games with OutRun, Hang-On and Afterburner, insisted on new hardware everytime he made a new game. Mind you, he was mucked that one up a tree when he made F355 Challenge. A lavish Ferrari cockpit experience so authentic you just slid around like a novice and got a printout to show how rubbish you were.

And then there's the peripherals. Virtua Cop refined the home lightgun. Would Time Crisis exist if Namco hadn't built the arcade pedal? Think music games like Dance Stage and Samba De Amigo would have been pioneered without the public testing ground? True, the home add-ons are expensive and rarely prove popular, but that's even more reason for coin-ops. Without the gun, Silent Scope will never have the same sniper feel at home, but it's the blockbuster experiences that will really die with the arcades. The booming cannons you hold for LA Machine Guns, that full-size pod in Star Wars Racer.

Don't forget the spectacular, bizarro one-offs. Prop Cycle, a flying bike game that blows wind in your face. Drum Mania, complete with high-hats and sticks. Final Furlong, four-player horse-racing complete with whipping. The Lost World: Jurassic Park, a jeep game with lightguns, theatrical sound and curtains. Not only can these never come home, but with no arcade audience they'll never be made again.

So when you sit down to play Tony Hawks 3 this christmas, just imagine an arcade version like Top Skater with its board . Alternatively, take your fella out of your hand, pull up your pants and go support your arcade. Just don't play Capcom Vs SNK2, unless you're using the maracas...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.