GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Has Social Gaming Evolved?........."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 24/10/01 at 20:53
Regular
Social gaming eh? But isnít it for nerds who have no friends and nothing better to do than sit in front of a VDU and play games in a dark room? God, those gamers, locked away from reality, never getting out. Social gaming? Pah!

Thatís the type of thing you may have heard a few years ago. But in this very short space of time, your typical ígamerí has evolved. This is because of many factors;

The movie business. Many films have been turned into games, so people with no previous interest in gaming may be drawn this way. In any case, it has brought us attention from those that would otherwise not be interested.

The size of the industry. With the size of the gaming industry today, it is hard for anyone to ignore it completely. Business-men buy stocks in the gaming companies because of their success on Wall Street.

Microsoft entering the console market. Microsoft is a name that nobody can get away from. Such a big name moving seriously into the gaming arena is something that people cant turn a blind eye on - And thus gaming is seen in a different way by new people.

Also, even people uninitiated in the gaming genre will probably know about online gaming. Far from being íproperí social gaming, it still counts to a lot of people. Gamers all over the world laying and communicating - even making online ícommunitiesí? Its enough to make anyone think twice about the previous stereotype.

So nowadays, we have adults and children alike playing games, many of them even obsessed with it. With this much popularity in the market, its very unlikely that you wont find anyone living near you that loves gaming too! Sites like Special Reserve, aimed at gamers bring them together, another form of social ígamingí. Gaming magazines take up twice as much shelf space than they used to. In fact, its more or less impossible to ignore gaming as a whole.

So what of social gaming? What is it? How big is it?

Well, as I have briefly mentioned before, there are different types.

The first type is multiplayer games played over the internet. Although the capacity for this has been around a long time, it has only quite recently taken off. And when I say taken off, I mean it! Games like Counter Strike have millions of players worldwide. People make online ëclansí - like communities that work together to win. People talk to each other in the game - often from different sides of the globe! Heck, its been known for people to cross oceans to come and see the person theyíve been playing against!

The next type of social gaming is the online communities. Though not actually gaming at the time, these are places to go where you can talk about gaming experiences, write your reviews, help other people out when they are stuck on a game, and basically chat with other people like you! In fact, you may even discover other people that live very close to you! When I came to Special Reserve, I got talking to some people. When someone asked me where I was from, and told me where they lived, I was surprised to find he lived about 10 minutes away, AND I knew him! Places like this can really bring you some online ëfriendsí.

The third, and final, type of social gaming I want to talk about is ëin the real worldí. Basically, when people come round your house to play games, or you go to theirs. Or even places like the ëií series, where gamers from all over meet up.

Gaming with friends is a completely different aspect of social gaming to what I have talked about before. What most people consider being real social activity is going out with your friends, or playing sports with friends. Playing games with them is no different, and is in a lot of cases the most enjoyable aspect of all social gaming. Offering laughs and fun, multiplayer games are probably some of the biggest selling. Race friends in a game like Mario Kart, or go into serious mode and kill them in something like Perfect Dark. Of course, thereís the hilarious games like worms, that are just ment to be shared with other people. Although a good shoot ëem up is a great way of relieving stress! Aside from the competitive aspect, working together can be fun as well. And if you are trying to defeat a really hard boss, the friend actually being in the same room can help! It can even help improve your relationship - getting past a hard level can be very rewarding, and doing it together means you both did well! Even single player games can be more fun with other people around - whether they help you solve a puzzle, or give you a new idea to try, two heads are better than one! You can even take turns (unless youíve a brand new PS2 and they have dirty hands!).

Places like i8 are great because you can meet other people with the same interests as you - a bit like a matchmaker service!- and have fun at the same time. You can even improve your skills when you really need to wipe the smirk off that guys face!

So, if you were to ask about social gaming today, the reply is more likely to be ëwhatís your favourite game?í or ëwhat time can you play?í

On the whole, gaming is accepted far more widely these days, and being social while gaming has never been easier. So when lifeís getting you down, load up Counter Strike, or call some mates, and take it out on your PS2!
Thu 25/10/01 at 22:27
Regular
Social gaming? what's that?

All my friends beat me up if I even mention playing a computer game.
Thu 25/10/01 at 22:21
Regular
read the post in FOG chat it explains the whole thing
Thu 25/10/01 at 22:18
Regular
"Death to the Infide"
Mystique wrote:
i am going through
> some changes that day...what you will have to work out yourself
hint.
check a
> calender

What halloween?

Ur not turning into a werewolf or something r u? :-)

PS mr nice guy, ur not very nice at all. Be good or i'll stick a can of deluxe spam where the sun dont shine. (JK)
Wed 24/10/01 at 23:17
Regular
Neo-Genetic wrote:
> He did make me cry.

oh
my
god
Wed 24/10/01 at 22:15
Hey, I actually read the topic!

Its pretty good! :-D

I think social gaming has become much more acceptable nowadays, because so many people have computers and consoles.

A job as a games developer a few years back may not ahve been classed very high, but now there are loadsa people all wanting to be in the gaming industry.

When the X-Box comes out, it will take gaming to the next level.
Wed 24/10/01 at 21:55
It's all about the strategy.
Wed 24/10/01 at 21:54
Regular
Neo-Genetic wrote:
> I am only a wimp.

Nobody is a wimp here.....only people who think they are wimps. Everyone has potential, but the main thing is to think positively and ignore critisism. I should think that a bit more myself.

MJ

p.s Do you have MSN???
Wed 24/10/01 at 21:52
Regular
Skippy Doris wrote:
> MJswerve wrote:
> Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh, when was this posted? I didn't see
> this....not that I am eyeing the competition or anything :-D

Im guessing
> youre talking about your Zelda topic in Prime?

*MJ begins to worry.....*

Of course I'm not.......*MJ eyes the door*......

"Bye the way MJ.....you have no chance" says Skippy doris

:-D

MJ
Wed 24/10/01 at 21:51
MJswerve wrote:
> Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh, when was this posted? I didn't see this....not that I am eyeing the competition or anything :-D

Im guessing youre talking about your Zelda topic in Prime?
Wed 24/10/01 at 21:49
I am only a wimp.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.