GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Little cubes of Evil"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 24/10/01 at 15:01
Regular
Mmmmm, yummy!

http://special.reserve.co.uk/news/story.php?id=1229
Fri 26/10/01 at 22:22
Regular
"Jags is teh l33t"
maby not. i have seen various pics of same game and all look the same.

Give the Cube a chance!
Thu 25/10/01 at 17:41
Regular
"Back For Good"
I think they are pre rendered :-)

The gamecube isn't powerfull enough to create that sort of 3D enviroment, the Playstation used the same technique in fact the only things that were actually running on the playstation were fans,objects,doors and of course the characters :-D

From what I've seen the backgrounds look very nice indeed, things like the grass blowing in the wind,lightning outside causing creepy shadows from the zombies make it all seem so real.

Alone in the dark 4 does the same thing ;-)
Thu 25/10/01 at 00:12
"High polygon count"
Shocktrooper wrote:
> "Both games use pre-rendered backgrounds with fixed and
> inter-changing camera angles. On the
> 'Cube, however, expect a far more dynamic system..."

Hmmmmm... "dynamic" doesn't necessarily mean 3D though. I'll check those huge vid clips on IGN when I get the chance, and see if they shed any light on the matter.
Wed 24/10/01 at 22:00
Regular
"Whatever!"
Looks incredible especially out in the woods!!
Wed 24/10/01 at 18:23
Regular
"Back For Good"
Shocktrooper>

Code Veronica was in full 3D but to tell you the truth I'm glad the originals were pre rendered, because Dino Crises (PS1) was also in 3D and i wasn't too impressed.

Resident Evil had beautiful mpeg quality backgrounds that still look lovely today ;-)
Wed 24/10/01 at 18:15
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
Right. Here we are, Wookie. A quote from NGC magazine:

"Both games use pre-rendered backgrounds with fixed and inter-changing camera angles. On the 'Cube, however, expect a far more dynamic system..."

Well, I hope that helps.

SHOCKY
Wed 24/10/01 at 18:09
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
Not being picky or anything, but have Capcom EVER made a Resi game WITHOUT pre-rendered background?

I think that they have always relied upon this, otherwise, for some technical reason that I wouldn't understand, the games would be a lot harder to make and fit onto disk/cartridge etc...

I'm probably wrong, but surely, even if the game did turn out to be pre-renderd, it wouldn't put you off from buying it!? Come on, Wookie.

Ok, to settle this, I'll check my NGC magazine that is right here next to me...back in a sec...

SHOCKY
Wed 24/10/01 at 17:39
"High polygon count"
If the backgrounds are pre-rendered, then it's a crying shame, and - for me at least - will greatly detract from the impressiveness of the game. Even the PSone was capable of displaying some quite stunning pre-rendered backdrops.

I had assumed from the start that the game world was realtime 3D. If the backgrounds are static, then all the 'cube is doing is drawing the characters and shadows, and while they are very impressive, it makes the game as a whole far less worthy of dropped jaws.
Wed 24/10/01 at 17:31
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
Grrr, I originally handed out information for piccies on Resi Evil Biohazard in the PS2 forum! :D

Never mind, I'm sure Wookie will get more attention than what I did ;)

I'm not sure if these pictures are pre-rendered, even if they were, it doesn't take away the fact that the lighting effects are top-class! Just look at them!

Go to ign.com to watch the stunning videos, oh and before you do, I warn you - you will not know the difference between the gaming world and the real world :-D

SHOCKY
Wed 24/10/01 at 17:02
Regular
news just in RE1,2,3 and CV all will be out in Japan by the end of 2002!!!! 4 RE games in 1 YEAR!!!!! And to top it all off the following year should see RE4 and 0 god knows either 2003 or 2002 either one.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.