GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Xbox Live Router"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 09/06/03 at 12:58
Regular
Can anyone suggest a good, preferably cheap, way of changing from a setup which uses Windows ICS to connect to Live, to anything where the PC does not have to be on in order to connect ? I currently have a USB Broadband modem.

On eBay I have seen several router/modem combination things, are these any good ? Any idea if there are any routers out there that I can use with a USB modem so I don't have to buy an ethernet one ?
Mon 09/06/03 at 12:58
Regular
"Best Price @ GAME :"
Can anyone suggest a good, preferably cheap, way of changing from a setup which uses Windows ICS to connect to Live, to anything where the PC does not have to be on in order to connect ? I currently have a USB Broadband modem.

On eBay I have seen several router/modem combination things, are these any good ? Any idea if there are any routers out there that I can use with a USB modem so I don't have to buy an ethernet one ?
Mon 09/06/03 at 13:48
Regular
"yamahapkowner.com"
Well I have a Belkin Router 4 port. It's Ethernet not USB but it was really easy to set up and Xbox works great through it. Certainly one to consider:

Here is some info off the www.Belkin.co.uk site:

4-Port Cable/DSL Gateway Router

Part # F5D5230u4

Ideal for sharing a broadband Internet connection with multiple users as well as building your 10/100 Base-T Ethernet network, the Router connects to your Cable or DSL modem and your computers. It sets up easily using the breakthrough Belkin SOHO Networking software, so you can begin sharing Internet access, files, printers, drives and more. The Router also provides NAT firewall security from the Internet, which locks would-be hackers from your home or office network.

The Belkin 4-Port Cable/DSL Gateway Router is compliant with the Ethernet 802.3 and 802.3u standards and is the best solution for sharing a broadband Internet connection with multiple users. It allows you to build your 10/100 Base-T Ethernet network for sharing files and peripherals such as hard drives, printers, CD-ROMs, DVDs and more. With its added NAT firewall, the Router protects your network from outside intrusions.

Advantages :
• Compliant with Ethernet IEEE 802.3 and 802.3u standards
• Quickly and easily configure your network using Belkin SOHO Networking Software
• Add-on other Belkin networking products using the unique docking ring
• Minimize desk clutter and add an innovative vertical design as you link
• Belkin Lifetime Warranty and free technical support

Features
• Enables you to share your broadband Internet connection
• Lets you exchange data quickly between connected PCs and notebooks, share printers and other peripherals, and communicate via e-mail
• Auto-sensing to offer future scalability of 10Base-T networks into 100Base-T Networks
• Uplink port that lets you add computers to your network
• Dedicated bandwidth for each port so you can enjoy an efficient and error-free network
• LED indicators for monitoring network traffic
• Plug-and-Play compatibility
• Package Includes
One 4-Port Cable/DSL Gateway Router
One Power Supply
One CD-Rom
One User Guide
• Compatible with Windows® 98, Windows® 2000, Windows® Me, Windows® XP and Mac OS up to Mac OS X and AppleTalk.
Mon 09/06/03 at 14:07
Regular
Thanks, my problem is that I really want something that uses the USB modem, otherwise I'm looking at having to buy a new modem as well as a router.
Mon 09/06/03 at 14:24
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Practical Magic wrote:
> Thanks, my problem is that I really want something that uses the USB
> modem, otherwise I'm looking at having to buy a new modem as well as a
> router.

Routers usually come built in with a ADSL modem. £100 should get you a Router with the modem built in. As you said you want to be able to use XBox Live without your PC being on then you wont be able to have anything USB, as USB needs the PC to be on.

www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware (SPACE) /reviews/2001/q4/dlink_dsl504.asp

This is what you need, as it is a Router with the ADSL modem built in. You can get rid of the USB modem and then just use this to share your PC and XBox plus 2 other devices as its a 4 port router. Prices are about £100 for this model. Dont think your really going to get anything as good for less. You will then be able to have your PC turned off and play XBox Live.
Mon 09/06/03 at 15:21
Regular
Thanks adrian, think it's going to have to wait til September and my students loan - yes folks, this is where the borrowed taxpayers money is going - but I'll keep an eye out for them on ebay also.

Maybe if I don't spend much on holiday next week then I can get one then :)
Mon 09/06/03 at 19:31
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
If money is tight then why dont you stick with using your USB modem and ICS? Works just as well, only that you need the PC on at the same time.
Tue 10/06/03 at 09:28
Regular
I get sick of the PC's fan blasting away in the background, plus it means I can't just sit down, go live straight away.
Tue 10/06/03 at 10:18
Regular
"yamahapkowner.com"
Yeah and all that software setting the network, eeek so many problems arise from it. On my Win XP the times it would work fine then when restarting it would say firewall and sharing was on when infact they werent.

The router has been a blessing.
Tue 10/06/03 at 22:43
Regular
I was told today that if you are only assigned 1 IP addy from your ISP that you can't 'share' your connection with your pc or XBL, only 1 can be on the a time????? any ideas on this??

sorry for not staying no topic but have just signed up to an isp and am expecting XBL very soon :0)
Tue 10/06/03 at 22:57
Regular
My ISP, tiscali, doesn't assign 1 IP, it's just server assigned when you connect up as the PC starts. Hence I don't have a problem.

Whose your ISP ? I'd say that what someone told you probably is crap, as the whole point of Internet Connection Sharing in Windows it to share one connection between various things.

How is your stuff connected ? Something like the Xbox connected to the PC via a Network card, and then PC to broadband USB modem ? Or is it the PC and Xbox connected to a router ? Or something my half asleep mind has not remembered...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.