GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Xbox Live Router"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 09/06/03 at 12:58
Regular
Can anyone suggest a good, preferably cheap, way of changing from a setup which uses Windows ICS to connect to Live, to anything where the PC does not have to be on in order to connect ? I currently have a USB Broadband modem.

On eBay I have seen several router/modem combination things, are these any good ? Any idea if there are any routers out there that I can use with a USB modem so I don't have to buy an ethernet one ?
Fri 13/06/03 at 21:20
Regular
kewl, i was a little concerned then, only a little though ;o)
the pc will only be used by my daughter when XBL is on, and she only use's it for chatting!!! kids!
Thu 12/06/03 at 23:18
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
scrapdealer wrote:
> I guess that if they are both on at the same time though I'll only be
> getting 256k to the XBL...will this be ok for it?? (laggy is summat I
> will not be wanting after getting ADSL!!)

No the connection is 512K shared. So if the PC is on but not actually downloading anything then XBox will have full bandwidth. XBox Live doesnt use full bandwidth anyway, its only when your hosting a game that bandwidth comes into it. If someone was on the PC streaming videos, downloading things then yes XBox Live would become laggy. Make sure that if your on XBox Live that the PC is only really used for web browsing and not for downloading other wise you will get lag.
Thu 12/06/03 at 18:24
Regular
"Best Price @ GAME :"
Hear that crying sound ? It's my credit card http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/ obidos/ASIN/B00008XYJY

Hopefully this will improve my Live experience and means I can play it straight away rather then messing around with the PC and stuff.

Checked MS's site before ordering and it is compatible.
Wed 11/06/03 at 22:29
Regular
As far as I know, if you use the PC to actually download and surf at the same time as being on Live it will effect performance, as you only have the one broadband connection.

To avoid lag don't use the PC at the same time as Xbox Live, but I do anyway and most of the time it doesn't seem to matter. The best thing to do is to try if for yourself once you're set up.
Wed 11/06/03 at 22:17
Regular
I guess that if they are both on at the same time though I'll only be getting 256k to the XBL...will this be ok for it?? (laggy is summat I will not be wanting after getting ADSL!!)
Wed 11/06/03 at 22:13
Regular
Yup, have no fear you will be okay.
Wed 11/06/03 at 22:05
Regular
I intend to connect the xbox straight from the router/modem (its a combined one-XBL compatible) My pc will also be connected to the router with another rj45 lead. I guess this means that I'll still be able to use both at the same time because the IP address will be assigned to the router...right?
Tue 10/06/03 at 23:43
Regular
Borat Sagdiyev wrote:
> routers are great, I highly recommend them.
>
> we got a linksys 4 port router for about 60 squid. shop around and
> you may get one cheaper

now I've read your original post, I must add that was an ethernet router.

I'll shut up now
Tue 10/06/03 at 23:42
Regular
routers are great, I highly recommend them.

we got a linksys 4 port router for about 60 squid. shop around and you may get one cheaper
Tue 10/06/03 at 23:40
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Practical Magic wrote:
> My ISP, tiscali, doesn't assign 1 IP, it's just server assigned when
> you connect up as the PC starts. Hence I don't have a problem.

But you only have 1 IP at a time. But its not a problem as I pointed out below. All ISPs will offer just 1 IP whether it be Static(you get the same one each time) or Dynamic(changing every time you log in). Having multiple IPs are really only for business users, but some ISPs do offer multiple IPs for home users for a monthly fee of something like £5.

As I have said below 1 IP address is fine. If your sharing your connection with a router or ICS then only that is connected to the IP of the ISP as everything else uses internal IPs.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.