GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Anybody can help to deal with scripting and cgi-bin ? Thanks a lot!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 24/10/01 at 09:23
Regular
How to put scripting into cgi-bin in order to receive reply from site visitors?
I tried many time and got FormMail scripting from open source, but it just doesn't work, pls help!
Mon 29/10/01 at 18:22
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
A Lot of people who make their own pages don't wanna know what browsers people used on their Site, and all that, just how many people appear to visit in.
Mon 29/10/01 at 13:32
Regular
""
Another interesting point.

Why do people use hit-counters on their sites? Do they serve any use? I don't know of any major sites (bbc, sky, freeola, mingers) that use them.

On my personal site, I use a www.sitemeter.com one. But that gives me things like browser/country/ip addx/OS breakdowns, that are helpful to me. For instance roughly only 8% of my visiters use Netscape so I don't concentrate on writing for that browser so much.

But I don't know why stand alone hit-counters are so popular. They don't actually do anything.
Sun 28/10/01 at 21:51
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
If I were you, I'd dump the cgi Counter, and use a PHP one, heres the code I use, Courtesy of Freeola themselves ... it'll do all the work for you:

You are visitor no.
$counterstyle = "image";
$height = "19";
$width = "15";
$hitsfile = "";
$images = "Images/Counter";
if (!$hitsfile) $hitsfile = dirname(__FILE__)."/hits";
if (!$images) $images = dirname(__FILE__)."/images";
$images = str_replace($DOCUMENT_ROOT, "", $images);
if(file_exists($hitsfile) == TRUE) {
$hits = file($hitsfile);
$hits = $hits[0] + 1;
} else {
$hits = 1;
}
$fp = fopen($hitsfile, "w");
fwrite($fp, $hits);
if ($counterstyle == "text") {
print "$hits";
} else {
$digit = strval($hits);
for ($i = 0; $i < strlen($hits); $i++) {
print "\"$hits\"";
}
}
?> to this site.

copy and paste it wherever you want it to appear on your page, and make sure that the page you have the code in ends with .php, instead of .html .htm .cgi etc...

hope that helps.

Sun 28/10/01 at 19:59
Regular
"Mm reprocessed meat"
CJH, I'm having problems setting up a counter with my CGI-bin, I use freeola. Could you help, thanks?
Sun 28/10/01 at 16:29
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Annn: I've sent it, hope it works ok for you. :o)
Sun 28/10/01 at 13:12
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Before I send it, do you know anything about PHP and HTML??
Sun 28/10/01 at 10:43
Regular
Hi cjh

yes, I love to get your mail script. pls mailto:[email protected]
Thanks a lot!
Sun 28/10/01 at 10:40
Regular
Annn wrote:

Hi ajg, tks for your email and that's very useful.
About that good article, do you think I can read it on the net?

ajg wrote:
> Just found a very good article in the Dec edition of PC Pro (in the Real World,
> server side programming section) on exactly this - pitfalls of using open mail
> relays.

Very interesting actually, worth a read...
Sat 27/10/01 at 15:26
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
I've got a mail Script if you want it, just pop your E-mail Address down here, and I'll send it.
It includes validation, so people can't send blank messages :o).
Sat 27/10/01 at 11:32
Regular
""
Just found a very good article in the Dec edition of PC Pro (in the Real World, server side programming section) on exactly this - pitfalls of using open mail relays.

Very interesting actually, worth a read...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.