GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Great Combination"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 23/10/01 at 17:39
Regular
What makes a great game as well as good graphics and gameplay, it's the storyline of course! Where do most ideas for storylines come from, the movies of course! This is why Games and Movies are the great combination needed for a great game.

Let's start from the 70s, I mean you can't start from the 60s that would be ridiculous! In the 70s the cheesiest of films as well as music were created. The 70s was very popular and known as the swinging years, but also for some of the best Kung-Fu movies. Bruce Lee was the leading Martial Artist in the big screen at this time (still is to somepeople) and he made great classics such as: Fist of Fury and the very popular Enter the Dragon. Most of his films attracted many audiences and fans to the film genre, so why hasn't there been a Bruce Lee game? Improved gangster films were made leading to great games like Driver and the upcoming Italian Job, which is based on the actual movie.
There were many other talented Japenese, Martial Arts actors that starred in many classic films. These classic movies portrayed certain beat-em-ups to be made. The Tekken series have included the legendary Bruce Lee, which I find very respectful and so have the Dead or Alive series. What I think needs to be done is a remake of these classics for any console, but I would like to see it mostly on the Playstation 2 or the Xbox. Just think of the graphics these great consoles would give the game as well as great gameplay. This I feel really needs to be done! Overall the 70s was a year that game developers didn't really concentrate on when making their games, which I find quite disappointing.

Now for the 80s. This was simply a continuation of the 70s era with a cherry on top. Everyone still saw more cheesy music and more cheesy films, but now this was the year that sci-fi was introduced to the movie industry. Many saw great sci-fi/action movies like Back to the Future and Terminator, encouraging the movie and games industry in the later stages. There were still great Kung-Fu movies being made, but they were not like the 70s classics. Still these minor improvements for this genre gave Sega an idea for a great game. Shenmue! This Dreamcast game was based on the 80s and it had every aspect of Kung-Fu movies at the time. This was to be one of the greatest and longest titles ever created for Sega, which attracted many fanatics. Shenmue had the exact sort of storyline as most Kung-Fu movies, 'vengeance'! It was based on a young man who felt he had to avenge his fathers death due to constant flashbacks. This was a truly fantastic Dreamcast title so what's stopping games like this being even better on more powerful and advanced consoles?
Many sci-fi games available to us now owe it all to this era. Sci-fi games were mostly encouraged by the 80s and the idea for games as such to be produced was all because of the huge crowds sci-fi movies gathered. This is why developers of this genre create such games now, because they know it appeals to movie fanatics so it's definitely going to do well in the gaming industry. A great movie and upcoming game was made due to this genre, the Matrix. This was THE movie everyone saw and loved at the big screen so there's no doubt that it's going shock the gaming industry.
Overall the 80s was an improvement from the previous decade in the contribution it gave to gaming entertainment.

The 90s, what a decade! Playstation, N64 and the Dreamcast were released pleasing many gaming fans. This was the decade that the cheesiness was to vanquish and the REAL movies and music was to instantly appear. At this time great, new technology had been developed leading to great movies contributing to great games. The start of the 90s wasn't that good, but the later stages were great. We saw every possible movie and game genres. Movies like the Matrix and Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon owe it all to the 70s and 80s as those decades contributed to such films being made. The idea was developed from those stages.
Games finally had the chance to a great storyline because of many movies giving developers many ideas. Action, sci-fi and fighting games were all encouraged by certain movies or movie characters and most of them were based on a specific storyline. Overall the 90s was a vast improvement to both gaming and movie industry, which pleased a lot of fans because of this great combination.

It's normally movies that encourage games, but now the tables have turned. The ever popular Final Fantasy series have forced movie producers to make a film. Although the movie wasn't the same as the normal Final Fantasy storyline, the movie still contained the whole meaning of the game. Max Payne's now said to have his own movie. Street Fighter was turned into a movie and it just goes on and on. This is the future for the movie industry including improved special effects.
Movies and games are the perfect combination in order to have a truly fantastic, and most importantly enjoyable game. In the future we are sure to see more movie-based games and more game-based movies, they both fit perfectly!
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Tue 23/10/01 at 17:39
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
What makes a great game as well as good graphics and gameplay, it's the storyline of course! Where do most ideas for storylines come from, the movies of course! This is why Games and Movies are the great combination needed for a great game.

Let's start from the 70s, I mean you can't start from the 60s that would be ridiculous! In the 70s the cheesiest of films as well as music were created. The 70s was very popular and known as the swinging years, but also for some of the best Kung-Fu movies. Bruce Lee was the leading Martial Artist in the big screen at this time (still is to somepeople) and he made great classics such as: Fist of Fury and the very popular Enter the Dragon. Most of his films attracted many audiences and fans to the film genre, so why hasn't there been a Bruce Lee game? Improved gangster films were made leading to great games like Driver and the upcoming Italian Job, which is based on the actual movie.
There were many other talented Japenese, Martial Arts actors that starred in many classic films. These classic movies portrayed certain beat-em-ups to be made. The Tekken series have included the legendary Bruce Lee, which I find very respectful and so have the Dead or Alive series. What I think needs to be done is a remake of these classics for any console, but I would like to see it mostly on the Playstation 2 or the Xbox. Just think of the graphics these great consoles would give the game as well as great gameplay. This I feel really needs to be done! Overall the 70s was a year that game developers didn't really concentrate on when making their games, which I find quite disappointing.

Now for the 80s. This was simply a continuation of the 70s era with a cherry on top. Everyone still saw more cheesy music and more cheesy films, but now this was the year that sci-fi was introduced to the movie industry. Many saw great sci-fi/action movies like Back to the Future and Terminator, encouraging the movie and games industry in the later stages. There were still great Kung-Fu movies being made, but they were not like the 70s classics. Still these minor improvements for this genre gave Sega an idea for a great game. Shenmue! This Dreamcast game was based on the 80s and it had every aspect of Kung-Fu movies at the time. This was to be one of the greatest and longest titles ever created for Sega, which attracted many fanatics. Shenmue had the exact sort of storyline as most Kung-Fu movies, 'vengeance'! It was based on a young man who felt he had to avenge his fathers death due to constant flashbacks. This was a truly fantastic Dreamcast title so what's stopping games like this being even better on more powerful and advanced consoles?
Many sci-fi games available to us now owe it all to this era. Sci-fi games were mostly encouraged by the 80s and the idea for games as such to be produced was all because of the huge crowds sci-fi movies gathered. This is why developers of this genre create such games now, because they know it appeals to movie fanatics so it's definitely going to do well in the gaming industry. A great movie and upcoming game was made due to this genre, the Matrix. This was THE movie everyone saw and loved at the big screen so there's no doubt that it's going shock the gaming industry.
Overall the 80s was an improvement from the previous decade in the contribution it gave to gaming entertainment.

The 90s, what a decade! Playstation, N64 and the Dreamcast were released pleasing many gaming fans. This was the decade that the cheesiness was to vanquish and the REAL movies and music was to instantly appear. At this time great, new technology had been developed leading to great movies contributing to great games. The start of the 90s wasn't that good, but the later stages were great. We saw every possible movie and game genres. Movies like the Matrix and Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon owe it all to the 70s and 80s as those decades contributed to such films being made. The idea was developed from those stages.
Games finally had the chance to a great storyline because of many movies giving developers many ideas. Action, sci-fi and fighting games were all encouraged by certain movies or movie characters and most of them were based on a specific storyline. Overall the 90s was a vast improvement to both gaming and movie industry, which pleased a lot of fans because of this great combination.

It's normally movies that encourage games, but now the tables have turned. The ever popular Final Fantasy series have forced movie producers to make a film. Although the movie wasn't the same as the normal Final Fantasy storyline, the movie still contained the whole meaning of the game. Max Payne's now said to have his own movie. Street Fighter was turned into a movie and it just goes on and on. This is the future for the movie industry including improved special effects.
Movies and games are the perfect combination in order to have a truly fantastic, and most importantly enjoyable game. In the future we are sure to see more movie-based games and more game-based movies, they both fit perfectly!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.