GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[Game] A Kingdom for Keflings"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'A Kingdom for Keflings'.
Mon 17/05/10 at 18:13
Regular
A Kingdom for Keflings is a downloadable game available from the Xbox Live Arcade.

A Kingdom for Keflings is one of those games I'm glad I purchased from there, it's not too hard a game and it's quite light hearted. It's a basic version of a real time strategy game, think of Age of Empires and Sim City, but with a hint of Animal Crossing, if you're a fan of any of those games you might find this little game quite fun to pass a few hours! There's no violence or fighting, battles or enemies in Keflings so you're probably thinking, where's the fun in that?! Kingdom for Keflings is a light hearted, fluffy game which isn't going to make you frustrated and give you 'game rage,' you'll be drawn in by the cute music, bright graphics and being determined to reach your goal of building a castle for your kingdom.

So what's it all about? Well in this Kingdom you play a giant, you can either be a character set by the game or you can choose to have your very own Xbox avatar stamping around. You take control of the Keflings, human like characters that will do what you tell them. You start off basic, you need to chop wood and stone to build a house and a basic workshop, and this is where the Age of Empires style of play comes into it, as you order your Keflings to chop that wood and carry it to the workshop, and to keep on doing that until you tell them otherwise or assign them to a new task. You are given new blueprints of buildings to build, and each section of the building requires a room to be built by a relevant workshop. For example if you're building a house, you order your workshop to build a bedroom, and a storage room etc. However these rooms can only be built if you have enough wood and stone. You can of course help your Keflings out and chop some trees yourself, or shear the sheep, mine some rock... or you can give you Keflings a good kick, but really, this game is too cute you feel ever so slightly guilty when you kick these poor things across the screen.

Before you know it, your screen is getting busier filled with buildings and Keflings faithfully running about doing their assigned tasks. You are given quests by your mayor which earns you bonuses and rewards, such as extra love (required to bring in even more Keflings to your town), or extras such as fast shoes to make you move about quicker. You keep on building the new blueprints given to you, opening up even more blueprints, slowly moving down towards building the Castle, which is the aim of the game.

The next thing you know, its 3 hours later and you are humming along to the cute and fluffy music and feel strangely addicted to this little game. This game could certainly entertain anyone of all ages, although young children may find it slightly difficult. Men might not feel particularly 'manly' playing this, but this certainly hasn't stopped anyone playing this on Xbox Live as yes, this game does have a multiplayer opportunity if you are an Xbox Live Gold member. On multiplayer you and your fellow giants run one town together, working together to build the blueprints and run around after your Keflings, whilst this is pretty much the same game, it's quite nice to work co-operatively with strangers over Xbox Live, knowing you're not the only one this game has drawn in!

Overall I certainly wouldn't give this game a miss, it's quite addicting despite its cute and fluffy nature, and you will certainly spend a few hours playing this one.
Thu 20/05/10 at 09:49
"possibly impossible"
Good review. Thought I'd read it somewhere else, but realised that you're posting on Dooyoo as well. Used to post reviews on there when the money was better.
Mon 17/05/10 at 18:13
Regular
A Kingdom for Keflings is a downloadable game available from the Xbox Live Arcade.

A Kingdom for Keflings is one of those games I'm glad I purchased from there, it's not too hard a game and it's quite light hearted. It's a basic version of a real time strategy game, think of Age of Empires and Sim City, but with a hint of Animal Crossing, if you're a fan of any of those games you might find this little game quite fun to pass a few hours! There's no violence or fighting, battles or enemies in Keflings so you're probably thinking, where's the fun in that?! Kingdom for Keflings is a light hearted, fluffy game which isn't going to make you frustrated and give you 'game rage,' you'll be drawn in by the cute music, bright graphics and being determined to reach your goal of building a castle for your kingdom.

So what's it all about? Well in this Kingdom you play a giant, you can either be a character set by the game or you can choose to have your very own Xbox avatar stamping around. You take control of the Keflings, human like characters that will do what you tell them. You start off basic, you need to chop wood and stone to build a house and a basic workshop, and this is where the Age of Empires style of play comes into it, as you order your Keflings to chop that wood and carry it to the workshop, and to keep on doing that until you tell them otherwise or assign them to a new task. You are given new blueprints of buildings to build, and each section of the building requires a room to be built by a relevant workshop. For example if you're building a house, you order your workshop to build a bedroom, and a storage room etc. However these rooms can only be built if you have enough wood and stone. You can of course help your Keflings out and chop some trees yourself, or shear the sheep, mine some rock... or you can give you Keflings a good kick, but really, this game is too cute you feel ever so slightly guilty when you kick these poor things across the screen.

Before you know it, your screen is getting busier filled with buildings and Keflings faithfully running about doing their assigned tasks. You are given quests by your mayor which earns you bonuses and rewards, such as extra love (required to bring in even more Keflings to your town), or extras such as fast shoes to make you move about quicker. You keep on building the new blueprints given to you, opening up even more blueprints, slowly moving down towards building the Castle, which is the aim of the game.

The next thing you know, its 3 hours later and you are humming along to the cute and fluffy music and feel strangely addicted to this little game. This game could certainly entertain anyone of all ages, although young children may find it slightly difficult. Men might not feel particularly 'manly' playing this, but this certainly hasn't stopped anyone playing this on Xbox Live as yes, this game does have a multiplayer opportunity if you are an Xbox Live Gold member. On multiplayer you and your fellow giants run one town together, working together to build the blueprints and run around after your Keflings, whilst this is pretty much the same game, it's quite nice to work co-operatively with strangers over Xbox Live, knowing you're not the only one this game has drawn in!

Overall I certainly wouldn't give this game a miss, it's quite addicting despite its cute and fluffy nature, and you will certainly spend a few hours playing this one.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.