GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Island-style keyboards"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 17/05/10 at 16:51
Regular
Hi,

I'm trying to find an 'island-style' keyboard to use with the lappy, as I've used one on a different system and I quite like the feel of them.

I can't, for the life of me find anywhere that sells them. I've googled but can't seem to find any relevant shopping results.

Anyone got any suggestions for sites that sell them?

Neil
Fri 21/05/10 at 17:05
Regular
Tried the keyboard on an XP netbook and the keys worked.

I have my lappy connected to a Port ergo station. I originally had the keyboard plugged into one of the Ergo's USB ports. I switched to a USB port on the lappy, and Windows reinstalled the keyboard drivers and it now works as expected. So why did the keyboard work at all - albeit limited from the Ergo - if it didn't recognise the Windows keys? Strange.

N.
Fri 21/05/10 at 15:12
"Are you sure?"
Can you try it in another PC? Preferably pre-W7.

At least that could/would show if it's s/w or h/w...

Also - I guess we can assume your previous keyboard is fine with your PC?

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Fri 21/05/10 at 15:03
Regular
Ahhh - I tried that last night to no avail.

I do appreciate your looking into this for me though.

N.
Fri 21/05/10 at 14:12
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
You may not have enabled them in W7. I looked voer this as it was too "easy" as it were, but my colleague pointed out that not every installation will have this default setting.

This link should sort you out if that is the case.... (as it will most probably..hopefully). W7 Forums
Fri 21/05/10 at 13:10
Regular
I checked the keyboard for switches/buttons - none.

I got onto the Emprex site (its an Emprex 6310U) and left them a support request, but I should imagine its a fault.

Thanks,

N.
Fri 21/05/10 at 11:57
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Only two things we in the office can think of, as the "Windows" key is considered pretty standard as far as we know.

-Some keyboards will literally have a switch that disables the Windows key. This is normally found on "Gaming" style keyboards as it helps prvent kicking yourself out of a game to open menus etc.... Check that out first (although I'm sure you have).

-It seems like fairly modern hardware but I would still update drivers or replace if possible. Always helped in the past.
Fri 21/05/10 at 02:25
Regular
I got the keyboard yesterday morning. Very nice it is too.

One problem...

There's nothing at all from the 'Windows' keys - either of them. They don't even open the Start Menu in Windows 7.

Have I got a duff keyboard, or do I have to enable something somewhere?

Neil.
Tue 18/05/10 at 18:18
Regular
Yups - I went for the look primarily.

I was quite surprised at the price - nice bonus (and free delivery).

Should be here tomorrow(ish).

N.

EDIT: It transpires my existing Logitech wireless keyboard works with the PS3 (bonus number 2).
Tue 18/05/10 at 18:02
Regular
"Embrace the Martian"
Functional, good looking and cheap! Nice find there Neilj99.
Tue 18/05/10 at 14:12
Regular
FYI

I decided to order an Emprex Chiclet Slim Desktop USB Keyboard from Amazon.

Looks just what I'm looking for. It was dispatched same day, so not long now (I hope).

N.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.