GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"FST TVs & Surround Sound"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 23/10/01 at 08:36
Regular
Looking for a little advice from anyone out there who has some experience of the above topic

I am intending to get a new TV for using for the PS2. It will be used primarily for the PS2 and for viewing DVDs the rest of the time. My questions are whether to go for a FST screen over a normal one ( is there much of a difference )?, using a RGB scart with a normal / FST how much benefit is there? And finally is it better to go for a Nicam TV or is it better to get a standalone surround sound set with a mono TV.

PS anyone know whether the PS2 surround sound set on SR is any good or do you know any other decent makes around the fifty quid mark?

If any of you could help it would be much appreciated

Fanx
Tue 23/10/01 at 08:36
Regular
"Fangxforthemammarie"
Looking for a little advice from anyone out there who has some experience of the above topic

I am intending to get a new TV for using for the PS2. It will be used primarily for the PS2 and for viewing DVDs the rest of the time. My questions are whether to go for a FST screen over a normal one ( is there much of a difference )?, using a RGB scart with a normal / FST how much benefit is there? And finally is it better to go for a Nicam TV or is it better to get a standalone surround sound set with a mono TV.

PS anyone know whether the PS2 surround sound set on SR is any good or do you know any other decent makes around the fifty quid mark?

If any of you could help it would be much appreciated

Fanx
Tue 23/10/01 at 08:47
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Fangface wrote:
> Looking for a little advice from anyone out there who has some experience of the above topic

OK I'll try...

>My questions are whether to go for a FST screen over a normal one ( is there much of a difference )?

FST stands for Flat Screen television... which basically means it has a flat screen instead of a curved one. On cheap models you get some disortion in the corners on the picture but these days they tend to be OK.

>using a RGB scart with a normal / FST how much benefit is there?

None... SCART is a standard there is no difference between SCART on an expensive FST and SCART on your cheap 14" portable!!

>And finally is it better to go for a Nicam TV or is it better to get a standalone surround sound set with a mono TV.

Mono, means MONO!! sound from one channel!! Plugging it into a Surround Sound will make no difference!! Nicam is the best option... true stereo sound from your TV, plau this into a Surround Sound Stereo and hey presto - Surround sound!!

So what you should get ideally is an FST with Nicam... What's your budget? I know of a really good widescreen set for £349.00 with Dolby!!

Hope that helped

Ty
Tue 23/10/01 at 08:55
Regular
"Fangxforthemammarie"
Cheers Tyla

Just to clarify

When connecting to a surround sound set does the output come from the PS2 or the TV before going into the surround sound set?

What I meant with the RGB scart is whether there is a notable benefit using this over a standard scart socket

My preferred budget is around £ 200 with £ 50 for the surround sound kit. The TV only needs to be 20 > 25 inches max. Would you recomend a dolby TV over a nicam with a cheapish surround sound set?

Thanks for the help mate
Tue 23/10/01 at 09:21
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Fangface wrote:
> Cheers Tyla

No probs!

When connecting to a surround sound set does the output come from the PS2 or the TV before going into the surround sound set?

My set up uses the yellow cable straight into the TV using the SCART adapter supplied with the PS2 and then my red/white leads go into my prologic amp. The down fal lof this is i have no sound through the TV!! HMV prducs a really exellent RGB scart lead with Audio out too... this would be my suggestion. Other wise, if you TV has audio out, then plug the PS2 into the TV and then the TV into the Stereo!

>What I meant with the RGB scart is whether there is a notable benefit using this over a standard scart socket

Not that i've noticed?

>My preferred budget is around £200 with £ 50 for the surround sound kit. The TV only needs to be 20 25 inches max. Would you recomend a dolby TV over a nicam with a cheapish surround sound set?

With that budget I'd go for the best TV you can get and forget about the Surround unit!! I'd buy that at a later date!!

Thanks for the help mate

Cheers!!
Tue 23/10/01 at 10:23
Regular
"Fangxforthemammarie"
Cheers mate you have been very helpful
Tue 23/10/01 at 10:24
Cheerss mmaattee sorry im a bit jittery
Tue 23/10/01 at 10:40
Regular
Wookiee Monster helped me out when I was looking for a tv. He sent me to empire-direct.co.uk, which is where I got my tv in the end.

The flatscreen option is superb. My tv is at home, not up with me at uni, which means everytime I go home, and watch flatscreen rather than my curvy 14" I can really see the difference!

Not sure about sound really. Mine has Nicam stereo or whatever that is. Didn`t want the Dolby option, as I connect my PS2 to speakers anyway.
Tue 23/10/01 at 11:56
Regular
"Fangxforthemammarie"
Cheers SSXpro

I`ve had a look at the site and it looks really good value.

I assume you have had no problems with delivery or quality from them or you would have said

This may just be the solution for me
Tue 23/10/01 at 12:48
You will notice a difference with RGB over a standard scart (composite) lead. Juat look at any text and you will see that the normal fuzzyness around it disappears with RGB. The only problem with RGB is that you can't watch DVDs through it - they are green and this is due to the copy protection being used by Sony. The compromise is to go for s-video. This is very close in quality to RGB and you can watch DVDs OK.

.Richard
Tue 23/10/01 at 12:53
Regular
"Fangxforthemammarie"
ScoobyDog wrote:
> You will notice a difference with RGB over a standard scart (composite) lead.
> Juat look at any text and you will see that the normal fuzzyness around it
> disappears with RGB. The only problem with RGB is that you can't watch DVDs
> through it - they are green and this is due to the copy protection being used by
> Sony. The compromise is to go for s-video. This is very close in quality to
> RGB and you can watch DVDs OK.

.Richard

The RGB lead on SR claims to have no green playback on DVDs. Is this right as I know previously you needed the regionx DVD to get around this problem

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.