GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Inside Or Outside?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 22/10/01 at 23:40
Regular
I was playing Deus Ex yesterday, and I wondered to myself while trying to incapacitate a boss with tranquilizer darts (as you can guess, it didn't work,) "why do I prefer games such as Deus Ex and Metal Gear, to titles such as Mario." I wrestled with it for a while, and finally came up with what I believe is the answer.

In games such as Deus Ex and MGS, your are normally situated inside a building of some kind. Whether it be a house, some hi-tech laboratory, offices, hotels and basically anywhere (in Deus Ex especially,) you're normally indoors. Of course, on some occasions, you are outside, but it's usually in a big city.

But when I think of Mario, I think of pretty gardens with colourful flowers, the sun, mushrooms and other outdoor...stuff, for want of a better word. Now, this is in no means bad (although it may be in some people's opinions,) but I reckon it does make a large difference in the gameplay.

Here's a question for you-where would you prefer a game to be situated in? Chicago or the Chelsea Flower Show? It's a serious question, and one that could take a while to answer. While controlling your character, would you rather explore the realms of a huge city with massive buildings and lots of vehicles and people, or a park, full of flowers and animals.

Now I know not all of Mario is situated outside, but I would say most of it is. I think an important word here is environment. There are many different types of environment, and usually a specific type is used for a specific sort of game. I mean, think about it, would Deus Ex really be such a great game if it was situated in a sunny, beautiful part of the world, with lots of lovely flowers and cute animals. Would Mario be as good if your enemies were guards with machine guns, or Cyborgs with Rocket Launchers attached to their arm?

Can you really imagine Mario giving it, "MUM-A-MIA!!" as he gets completely obliterated by a grenade, blood and guts flying everywhere?

Another factor is day and night. In Deus Ex, it always seems to be dark. I have to have all the lights off because the light reflects of the screen so much when I play. But it's an effective technique-it wouldn't be such a tense and perhaps even nerve-wracking experience if it was set in daylight, and the same goes for games like MGS and Red Faction as well.

So, what sort of gamer are you? Do you prefer to play in the dark with scary mutants or gun-carrying baddies looking for you, and lots of buildings, vehicles and cities surrounding you? Or would you prefer to play in a bright, colourful game, full of innovative and imaginitive game ideas? Do you like playing a game in which 1 wrong move could spell the end of you? Or, are you both?

Most people would say they were both, but I would disagree. I, personally, prefer the first type I mentioned. I don't MIND games that are set outside in the woods or something (hell, I enjoyed playing Crash 2 and Spyro The Dragon,) but if I had the choice between the 2, I'd pick the more tense, perhaps even more realistic environment.

The point of this topic? That the environment of a game can make much more difference to the gameplay and enjoyment of it overall, and you would be wise to consider which you prefer before making a purchase. Right, I'm off to spend another hour or so trying to knock out cyborb-mutant Gunther Hermann with my crossbow, without being caught and killed with the massive flamethrower he appears to pull out of no where.

Thanks for reading, Ant.
Fri 26/10/01 at 10:39
Regular
"Not your monkey"
So basically...are you an inny or an outty?

Personally i am an Inny but i like outty's. Ok, i shall shut up now.
:D
Wed 24/10/01 at 09:25
Regular
I prefer a mix of both - like in Jet Set Radio & Sonic.

If it's too dark & grim - it all becomes it bit uninspiring.
If it's too bright & happy - it all becomes a bit like Tellytubby land.
Tue 23/10/01 at 22:02
Always meant to ask you this Gassy, but what the hell does :o) mean? It looks like Eric Cartman to me.
Tue 23/10/01 at 21:45
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
Clever post, never really thought about it that way...

Mario is all outside huh? No! In mario64 he goes inside quite a lot :)

But still a good point, I like both games, but most of mine seem to be type one games. I like games outside and inside, Perfexct Dark springs too mind :o)
Tue 23/10/01 at 21:44
To be honest, I prefer both - although preferably not mixed together in one go, as that would be strange. Recently, I've been judging games more and more on three things - their plot, the graphics and the sound/music.
Tue 23/10/01 at 21:29
Regular
"I like cheese"
Meka_Dragon wrote:
> I hate cities.

I lived in London and thought it was bloody awful. Big dirty
> buildings, busy roads.

No thanks.

My favourite place that I've lived in
> was Banff. Up in the Rocky Mountains, a big snow-capped beauty in whichever
> direction you chose to look, elks wandering the streets.

Yep, I'm an
> outdoors, big mountains, happy flowers, and smily animals person.

Who wants
> to save a dirty city, when you can save a beautiful land?

Ah, the signs of a Ninty. ;)
Tue 23/10/01 at 11:07
Regular
"not dead"
I hate cities.

I lived in London and thought it was bloody awful. Big dirty buildings, busy roads.

No thanks.

My favourite place that I've lived in was Banff. Up in the Rocky Mountains, a big snow-capped beauty in whichever direction you chose to look, elks wandering the streets.

Yep, I'm an outdoors, big mountains, happy flowers, and smily animals person.

Who wants to save a dirty city, when you can save a beautiful land?
Tue 23/10/01 at 09:47
Regular
"I like cheese"
Mr Nice Guy wrote:
> Ant wrote:

Here's a question for you-where would you prefer a game to be
> situated in? Chicago or the Chelsea Flower Show? It's a serious question, and
> one that could take a while to answer.

That took me a matter of
> 0.2145465265426 split seconds to work out, the answer is simple. Chicago, the
> place where anything can happen. In the Chelsea Flower Show what can really go
> wrong? Alan Tichmarch or however you spell his damn name, suddenly goes crazy
> with an AK45? I don't think so, but then stranger things have happened, just
> look who America voted to be President, a god damn ape.

Ah, but think about it. What if all the flowers turned evil and went on a rampage throughout the show? And only Mario can save the day by jumping onto them and making them disappear?
Tue 23/10/01 at 01:09
Regular
"Wasting away"
Ant wrote:

Here's a question for you-where would you prefer a game to be situated in? Chicago or the Chelsea Flower Show? It's a serious question, and one that could take a while to answer.

That took me a matter of 0.2145465265426 split seconds to work out, the answer is simple. Chicago, the place where anything can happen. In the Chelsea Flower Show what can really go wrong? Alan Tichmarch or however you spell his damn name, suddenly goes crazy with an AK45? I don't think so, but then stranger things have happened, just look who America voted to be President, a god damn ape.
Mon 22/10/01 at 23:51
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
I'm not really sure. What it comes down to is that a game is a game and in my case, I would play anything no matter what scenery there is.

Dark and mysterious always intrigues me but light and obvious has it's charms too.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.