GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Ideas needed"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 11/04/07 at 18:03
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
Okay, so after this half term holiday is over, I'll be back at college obviously. I'm only in one day per week for timetabled lessons, but that doesn't stop me going in during the week.

Anyway, what I need ideas for is my project for this unit, Audio Visual.

The rules set by my lecturer are as follows:
- It can be whatever you like, about whatever you like, involving whatever you like.
- The finished, edited product must be between 3 and 5 minutes long.
- A synopsis of the idea must accompany the product explaining the story.
- The production can be created however you like: animation, stop-motion animation, full motion video, etc.

And as a side note, I don't mind spending a bit of money on equipment, props or hiring locations etc.

Here are my own limitations:
- people / actors (I'd rather work by myself, but I can get actors if needed)
- I don't mind how I put the production together - animation or video. I enjoy both. But full-motion video would be easier and quicker.

I think that's about it.

Now, the part I'm asking for help with is the part I'm struggling most with. Once i get off the ground, production will be easy.

So I'm asking you all to brainstorm - give me some ideas and I'll tell you if it's possible, because I'm really stuck for ideas!

To give you ideas, I'll list the clips wee were shown before the holiday. We were shown clips from last year's work and what they did. What we saw were:

1. several remote-controlled cars where teh cameras were zoomed in quite close to give the illusion of real cars. These remote controlled cars consisted of what looked like a Suberu, and some police cars, and the finished product was a remote controlled car chase.

2. Loads of actors in full costume and makeup, dressed to appear like zombies. his production was filmed all over the city of Norwich and was obviously based on a computer game. The camera showed a first-person perspective, with graphics super-imposed o nthe screen to represent a health meter, and graphics to represent a gun and hand animations for reloading and such like.

3. A romantic film filmed in Chappelfield Gardens and other places, which was very difficult to understand. It featured two people who only spoke at the end of the film, who seemed to be in love and the film ended in tragedy. It had a rather weak storyline which wasn't easy to follow.

4. A stop-motion animation featuring a doll and based on kids programmes like Postman Pat or Thomas the Tank Engine where you have a voice-over telling a story. It featured a doll who was a slave and just wanted to fly. It was a charming fairytale of an angel without wings, who learns to fight back and get her wings back from her slavedriver.

So that's what we were shown. The college takes plagierism very seriously, so while the concept doesn't have to be original and the video can have hints and parodies towards other media, I cannot copy anything.

So can anyone help me? BRainstorm me with ideas of what I could do for my project. I need an idea for a storyline, which lasts 3 minutes and satisfies al lthe criteria I mentioned earlier.

Go on, get creative. Oh, and it doesn't matter if it's gory, sexual, violent etc. It can be whatever the hell I/you/we like.

Ta very much. :)
Fri 13/04/07 at 06:07
Regular
You could do a cinematic portrayal of the life of a young protagonist who goes ferral and survives by hunting woodlice.

It would star Michael Caine as the woodlouse. He's never been too picky about scripts.
Fri 13/04/07 at 03:28
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
You could do a stop motion animation of Morph painting on a canvas in time to the 'Vision On' theme tune with Rolf Harris's voice in the background going "Can you guess what it is yet?" over and over until Morph finishes painting, revealing the words: "Art is Dead".

I like the way this takes 3 television mediums and makes a meaningful statement about them.

Alternatively if you're feeling really arty you could do something on the theme of "A picture paints 1000 words" and do a stop motion of words being added to a canvas one by one until all 1000 words are there, but forming a picture of a canvass on an easel writing an essay.

If you're good with photoshop and sound effects you could use some old tape of a tennis match but substitute a hedgehog for the tennis ball. Have different squeaks for serves, hitting the net, volleys, squeals for smashes etc.

Or do a montage with the same hedgehog being used in different sports, like rugby, football, cricket etc, or position it on a race-circuit to make it look like the hedgehog was the cause of famous accidents in the past, like Schumacher swerving to avoid it and whacking into Damon Hill instead, or horses refusing to take a jump at Aintree because there's a hedgehog sitting on top of Beecher's Brook etc.
Thu 12/04/07 at 20:22
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
Thanks guys. Please keep the ideas coming, because I'm really stumped. :S

I might try to do an advert spoof, maybe of the old Frosties ad, or a Cilit Bang mockup, or something which takes the Michael out of the terrible acting in Compensation adverts.

But I don't want ot restrict myself to adbverts if anyone cna suggest anything better.

I'm also thinking of doing a ventriliquist (sp?) act using the green screen in college. Not sure yet.
Thu 12/04/07 at 12:50
"possibly impossible"
That Life On Mars spoof of Camblewick Green made me think that a full spoof of the series would be good. An adult version of the show.
Thu 12/04/07 at 02:44
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Spoof news story about a gamer becoming addicted to turf betting after playing Barbie Race and Ride.

The Mother outside a dilapidated caravan - "We had no idea, he was locked in his room for weeks on end. He told us the clip/clop sounds were probably just mice chewing the skirting boards.

*Cut to fast zoom in of Barbie Race and Ride's cover artwork*
- Sound Effect - Horse whinnying

Then the bailiffs from William Hill came round. We had to sell the house ."

*Cut to fast zoom in of William Hill Horse Race Betting website*
- Sound Effect - Hammer on anvil

The Father sitting in a deck chair outside the caravan with a bottle of scrumpy cider cradled to his belly - "Dunno where he got it from, his mother's side I guess, 'er grandfather used to place bets on whether or not they'd come back from going over the top during the war.

*Cut to fast zoom in of a Grandad during the war*
- Sound Effect - Goosestepping footsteps

The Doctor in his office - screaming and wailing of patients in the background - "He is progessing well. We've found that giving him responsibility is helping with his therapy. We've put him in charge of the kennels on this facility's grounds."

*Pan out from the kennels to find a pack of dogs all equipped with saddles being taken for a walk by the gamer*
- Music - Smoky Dawson, Album: Homestead of my Dreams, Song: "My Four Legged Friend"

(Sorry, couldn't find a picture)

Oh, and regarding copyright? As long as you ask permission for the sound effects and visuals from their respective owners, and get the permission, you're covered. Otherwise you'll just have to make up your own game, rope in your grandpa, pay a visit to a fancy dress shop, record a hammer hitting something anvil like, get your family to goosestep up a flight of stairs, design a fake website for Turf Betting and find someone who can play guitar and hold a tune. Considering the use that the visuals and sounds will be put to, I don't see any problem with obtaining permission, although Sony might be reluctant.

This screenplay is based on a true story, although in my friend's case it wasn't the betting. He groomed his cat to death.
Wed 11/04/07 at 18:03
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
Okay, so after this half term holiday is over, I'll be back at college obviously. I'm only in one day per week for timetabled lessons, but that doesn't stop me going in during the week.

Anyway, what I need ideas for is my project for this unit, Audio Visual.

The rules set by my lecturer are as follows:
- It can be whatever you like, about whatever you like, involving whatever you like.
- The finished, edited product must be between 3 and 5 minutes long.
- A synopsis of the idea must accompany the product explaining the story.
- The production can be created however you like: animation, stop-motion animation, full motion video, etc.

And as a side note, I don't mind spending a bit of money on equipment, props or hiring locations etc.

Here are my own limitations:
- people / actors (I'd rather work by myself, but I can get actors if needed)
- I don't mind how I put the production together - animation or video. I enjoy both. But full-motion video would be easier and quicker.

I think that's about it.

Now, the part I'm asking for help with is the part I'm struggling most with. Once i get off the ground, production will be easy.

So I'm asking you all to brainstorm - give me some ideas and I'll tell you if it's possible, because I'm really stuck for ideas!

To give you ideas, I'll list the clips wee were shown before the holiday. We were shown clips from last year's work and what they did. What we saw were:

1. several remote-controlled cars where teh cameras were zoomed in quite close to give the illusion of real cars. These remote controlled cars consisted of what looked like a Suberu, and some police cars, and the finished product was a remote controlled car chase.

2. Loads of actors in full costume and makeup, dressed to appear like zombies. his production was filmed all over the city of Norwich and was obviously based on a computer game. The camera showed a first-person perspective, with graphics super-imposed o nthe screen to represent a health meter, and graphics to represent a gun and hand animations for reloading and such like.

3. A romantic film filmed in Chappelfield Gardens and other places, which was very difficult to understand. It featured two people who only spoke at the end of the film, who seemed to be in love and the film ended in tragedy. It had a rather weak storyline which wasn't easy to follow.

4. A stop-motion animation featuring a doll and based on kids programmes like Postman Pat or Thomas the Tank Engine where you have a voice-over telling a story. It featured a doll who was a slave and just wanted to fly. It was a charming fairytale of an angel without wings, who learns to fight back and get her wings back from her slavedriver.

So that's what we were shown. The college takes plagierism very seriously, so while the concept doesn't have to be original and the video can have hints and parodies towards other media, I cannot copy anything.

So can anyone help me? BRainstorm me with ideas of what I could do for my project. I need an idea for a storyline, which lasts 3 minutes and satisfies al lthe criteria I mentioned earlier.

Go on, get creative. Oh, and it doesn't matter if it's gory, sexual, violent etc. It can be whatever the hell I/you/we like.

Ta very much. :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.