GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"SEGA Superstars Tennis"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'SEGA Superstars Tennis'.
Wed 12/05/10 at 22:43
Regular
"How Ironic"
I bought this game as it was pretty cheap, only costing £5. Being a SEGA game, it was predictable that the gameplay would be pretty simple, mashed up with a few powerups/special moves, alongside the famous 'cartoony' graphics.

As the name suggests, the game is pretty much wimbledon mixed with all the famous SEGA stars that you can think of. Each of these characters have particular traits which relate to their respective games, for example, Sonic is particularly fast on the court due to his lightning fast runs in the platform game. It's an idea which has graced the Nintendo production line, except that the main character was an italian plumber, well originally anyway.

The gameplay is basic. Well there's not much you can do with a tennis game really is there? It's just hit the ball back and forth. As I've said, each character has a tailored powerup suited to their characteristics. Perhaps the ball will zig-zag off the path it should follow, or spiral out of control. The powerups can get predictable after a few games; some are just too easy for the opponent to hit back, while others are ridiculously impossible to return.

So game modes. There's 3 main modes; Superstar Mode, Exhibition Mode and Tournament Mode.

Superstar Mode
This is a sort of career mode. You'll play Exhibition matches, Tournaments and minigames in this mode, unlocking different stadiums and characters, and occasionally the chance to play a 'boss'

Exhibition Mode
A simple mode where you choose your characters and the location to play. That's pretty much it. Ideal for a good practice.

Tournament Mode
Choose a character, while the computer will select your opponents and where to play. Try and make it to the end!

Here are the 16 familiar characters that you can select
Sonic the Hedgehog
Miles "Tails" Prower
Amy Rose
Dr. Eggman
Shadow the Hedgehog
Alex Kidd
Gilius Thunderhead (from Golden Axe)
Beat (from Jet Set Radio)
Gum (from Jet Set Radio)
Ulala (from Space Channel 5)
Pudding (from Space Channel 5)
Amigo (from Samba de Amigo)
NiGHTS (from Nights into Dreams...)
Reala (from Nights into Dreams...)
Aiai (from Super Monkey Ball)
Meemee (from Super Monkey Ball)

Well I say familiar, I don't know the majority of them, but I'm sure some of more avid gamers will recognise them.

In conclusion, this quite obviously. isn't a Call of Duty game. It's a fun tennis game with some classic SEGA elements. Not a very long playability factor, but it can be bought cheaply, and is a nice one to have in any gamers collection. Pickup and play rather than spending hours trying to defeat Dr Eggman.

Overall Rating:6/10
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Wed 12/05/10 at 22:43
Regular
"How Ironic"
I bought this game as it was pretty cheap, only costing £5. Being a SEGA game, it was predictable that the gameplay would be pretty simple, mashed up with a few powerups/special moves, alongside the famous 'cartoony' graphics.

As the name suggests, the game is pretty much wimbledon mixed with all the famous SEGA stars that you can think of. Each of these characters have particular traits which relate to their respective games, for example, Sonic is particularly fast on the court due to his lightning fast runs in the platform game. It's an idea which has graced the Nintendo production line, except that the main character was an italian plumber, well originally anyway.

The gameplay is basic. Well there's not much you can do with a tennis game really is there? It's just hit the ball back and forth. As I've said, each character has a tailored powerup suited to their characteristics. Perhaps the ball will zig-zag off the path it should follow, or spiral out of control. The powerups can get predictable after a few games; some are just too easy for the opponent to hit back, while others are ridiculously impossible to return.

So game modes. There's 3 main modes; Superstar Mode, Exhibition Mode and Tournament Mode.

Superstar Mode
This is a sort of career mode. You'll play Exhibition matches, Tournaments and minigames in this mode, unlocking different stadiums and characters, and occasionally the chance to play a 'boss'

Exhibition Mode
A simple mode where you choose your characters and the location to play. That's pretty much it. Ideal for a good practice.

Tournament Mode
Choose a character, while the computer will select your opponents and where to play. Try and make it to the end!

Here are the 16 familiar characters that you can select
Sonic the Hedgehog
Miles "Tails" Prower
Amy Rose
Dr. Eggman
Shadow the Hedgehog
Alex Kidd
Gilius Thunderhead (from Golden Axe)
Beat (from Jet Set Radio)
Gum (from Jet Set Radio)
Ulala (from Space Channel 5)
Pudding (from Space Channel 5)
Amigo (from Samba de Amigo)
NiGHTS (from Nights into Dreams...)
Reala (from Nights into Dreams...)
Aiai (from Super Monkey Ball)
Meemee (from Super Monkey Ball)

Well I say familiar, I don't know the majority of them, but I'm sure some of more avid gamers will recognise them.

In conclusion, this quite obviously. isn't a Call of Duty game. It's a fun tennis game with some classic SEGA elements. Not a very long playability factor, but it can be bought cheaply, and is a nice one to have in any gamers collection. Pickup and play rather than spending hours trying to defeat Dr Eggman.

Overall Rating:6/10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.