GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"why 21?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 11/04/07 at 16:52
Regular
I'm just talking to my girlfriend about birthdays. Her niece is turning 2 soon and they're not having a big, big party where you invite pretty much everyone. These types of partys you tend to have on your 1st, 13th, 18th and 21st birthday.

My question is, why 21? I mean 13 you become a teen and 18 you become an adult, what happens when you turn 21? Also have I forgotten any more important birthdays, oh I suppose 30 but then that's the age people dread becoming, not really look forward to =S

(apologises to those who have already turned 30, my bad)
Fri 13/04/07 at 14:09
Regular
In america I'd imagine the 16th birthday is a bigger event than the 18th being that it allows you to drive legally. Also it gives rich kids an excuse to get themselves shown on MTV talking crap to their parents and having ridiculously over the top parties.
Thu 12/04/07 at 17:52
Regular
turning 40 is a pretty big deal, I thought isnt it? Dont know why however
Thu 12/04/07 at 11:50
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Seraphim wrote:
> Isnt 21 when you can legally drink in the US?
>
> So it could be one of there biggies rather then a England thing.

Think it used be 21 over here a long time ago as well.
The key thing is a key to the door, most parents can't wait to get rid of their 21 year-olds :D
Wed 11/04/07 at 21:17
Regular
"Mooching around"
Well, you can't become an MP at any age lower than 21 I think.

It's the age where you nothing is restricted from you anymore I think. Hence an old common present was a large Key with 21 engraved in it.
Wed 11/04/07 at 17:26
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
"In the United States (excluding insular areas), 21 is the minimum legal age at which one can purchase and drink alcoholic beverages. It is also the age at which it is legal to gamble and work as a prostitute in Nevada (except in Storey County and Lyon County, where the legal age is 18). In most states, a person who is 21 or over may also rent a car. Twenty-one was the minimum age of suffrage in the majority of states until the introduction of the Twenty-sixth Amendment. It is also the age where one can legally buy tickets for minors who want to see an R-rated movie. That individual must also see the movie with them as well.

Twenty-one was the age of majority in England and Wales before that age was lowered to 18 with the enactment of the Family Law Reform Act on 1 January 1970."

Source
Wed 11/04/07 at 17:12
Regular
That's true, you might be right there @ngel.
Wed 11/04/07 at 17:09
Regular
"AkaSeraphim"
Isnt 21 when you can legally drink in the US?

So it could be one of there biggies rather then a England thing.
Wed 11/04/07 at 16:52
Regular
I'm just talking to my girlfriend about birthdays. Her niece is turning 2 soon and they're not having a big, big party where you invite pretty much everyone. These types of partys you tend to have on your 1st, 13th, 18th and 21st birthday.

My question is, why 21? I mean 13 you become a teen and 18 you become an adult, what happens when you turn 21? Also have I forgotten any more important birthdays, oh I suppose 30 but then that's the age people dread becoming, not really look forward to =S

(apologises to those who have already turned 30, my bad)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.