GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Tweaking"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 22/10/01 at 03:14
Regular
I seem to remember this being tried before in here and dismissed on the grounds that people don't care what sort of scores they get on benchmarks, as long as it plays games. Fair enough, but I'm a manic obsessive tweaker, always looking to get a few more marks out and get my core FSB perfect for stability/performance.

Few different people around now, so it's worth another try. Background stuff for noobs: benchmarks run a series of tests on your PCs to simulate different environments they might have to run - graphical tests, office suite functions and so on. The results are generally just given as a score, broken down so you can see what areas need improving, and compare it to other similarly specified systems.

They can be used to assess your modifications and how successful they've been, how much performance you've gained and so on. You can tweak pretty much anything via your bios - memory timings, fsb, agp bus speed, clock multipliers, graphics card speeds...I'm just interested in seeing what sort of performance gains people can attain.

I'm not exactly bothered about my system's performance on the office suite tests, as I use it for games and games alone, but I'm interested to see some other results for 3d mark 2000/2001 - and actually speak to the people about how they got them and not just see the result and think "b****r, how did he get that?".

I've been running loads recently, and now have the top duron box of any clock speed for almost all resolutions of 3d mark 20001, which I'm quite proud of, but I'd like to get it higher. Useful ideas, suggestions..?

I wonder how long before this gets shot down with "I don't care, as long as it plays games". I seem to spend more time tweaking than playing, but the results can be very impressive, and my duron 750 can easily beat an athlon 1ghz for gaming with similar other components. Overclocking really isn't very dangerous if you have a vague idea what you're doing, and my 750 runs at 935mhz, stable, and 35C, which is nice and ccol for a cpu now.

Anyway, questions ("What the hell are you on about, explain more clearly")/suggestions/benchmark results, anything about tweaking, here please. I may as well start it:

Duron 750@935mhz (8.5x110)
512mb SDRAM
Asus V8200 GeForce3 (clocked 227/510)
Technogarb 21.81 Detonator drivers
Abit KT7A mobo

3d mark 2000 (1024x768, 16 bit): 6325
3d mark 2001 (1024x768, 32 bit): 5223

I'm annoyed with the 2000 result, want to get that higher, possibly limited by the processor...

I do get the feeling that most people here come for the web side of discussions, so this is a vain attempt at starting something relating to PC hardware..anyone who doesn't have the benchmarks can get them from www.madonion.com
Tue 23/10/01 at 02:04
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Er..heh, IRC is a means of chatting in real-time, that URL lets you download mIRC, a program to connect to irc servers..
Tue 23/10/01 at 01:56
Regular
"Wasting away"
Reaper[oV] wrote:

IRC is internet relay chat, get mIRC from
www.mirc.com/get.html, and join #leiden on atlanta.infinity-irc.org

We're
waiting...muaha.

UH, WTF are you going on about, if that website even has a sniff of something to do with Web Design then there is no point in me even going near the place.
Tue 23/10/01 at 01:46
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Internet Relay Chat. It's a ping thing.
Tue 23/10/01 at 01:41
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Hm, leave it now andi...

IRC is internet relay chat, get mIRC from www.mirc.com/get.html, and join #leiden on atlanta.infinity-irc.org

We're waiting...muaha.
Tue 23/10/01 at 01:23
Regular
"Wasting away"
Turbonutters mother? Well it is true then, you do learn something new everyday. Hate to sound like a fool but what does IRC stand for? I never ever ever come on this forum until this time of night as all of the others are dead. I know about as much about computers as a dead rodent does about algebra.
Tue 23/10/01 at 01:22
Regular
"How Handy."
indeed i am, although i should stop, she's crap. i prefer to finger jess. she doesn need to know unless you tell her phil. why are we talking through this when we are actually in IRC right now?
Tue 23/10/01 at 01:19
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Lol...never take anything we say that comes from IRC seriously. Andi's actually sleeping with Turbonutter's mother too..
Tue 23/10/01 at 01:18
Regular
"Wasting away"
Reaper[oV] wrote:

You gimp andi, heh. No more help for mirc scripting then... and I'd appreciate
it if you stopped fingering my girlfriend at some point too..

*Hears chants of, JERRY>>>JERRRRY>>>>>>>JEERRRY*

This looks like something serious. And as for the topic, damn I hate you with your GeForce3 but my processor is a AMD 1800 and I do have 80 GB's with a 24x CD RE. That is good enough for me.
Tue 23/10/01 at 01:15
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Andi, you know womblewhores...and I wonder how long before you paste her this url, heh. I don't actually care, it's a joke, as you say yourself..
Tue 23/10/01 at 01:14
Regular
"How Handy."
Phil, if anyone reads that they'll be really shocked that jess is that kind of person.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.