GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Opinion Poll: Cildhood violence"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 10/04/07 at 22:32
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
I thought about putting this in Intelligent Discussion, but then decided that not enough of you use that forum who would have an opinion on this, so I shoved it on here instead. Anyway, moving on...

You very often see videogames and consoles being slagged off in the news for influencing kids to do violent things.

Well, just as many kids are interested in football, and even though the violence is often highlighted on the news in these events, they are never associated with childhood violence, despite teh fact that the violence is actually, really happening around the child, not virtually.

So I want your thoughts o nthis. What is more likely to influence kids to use violence? Their football idols whom they mimic because they think they're so great, or their favourite videogame characters because they know they're not real?

Discuss.
Wed 11/04/07 at 22:35
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Mumbai Duck wrote:
> That said, giving young kids games where they go around killing
> things, with murdering role models to look up to, seems
> incredibly sad. We're probably failing those children by the
> industry's lax age-rating system.

Which is where it's the parents job to actually monitor what their kids play and if they're under what the age rating says to not let them play it or buy it for them in the first place (which would also be a service to us other gamers to get those annoying squeaky voiced 10 year olds off the online games)
Wed 11/04/07 at 22:19
Regular
You can either choose for your child to play a game where you can go around battering grannies or you can let them play games with obese plumbers who take magic mushrooms O_o
Wed 11/04/07 at 22:09
Regular
I don't know if it encourages violence - I think your average computer game nerd isn't the the most likely candidate for an ASBO - and if nothing else gaming gives teens something to do other than hang around in groups that intimidate pensioners or go looking for trouble.

Overall, I'd say gaming has potential to reduce childhood violence, while the real causes of childhood violence appear to me to be society and the families and communities they grow up in.

These things are much harder to change than arguing for some ban on video games. Blaming video games also allows parents to evade responsibility. It's an ideally placed victim to become a scapegoat.

That said, giving young kids games where they go around killing things, with murdering role models to look up to, seems incredibly sad. We're probably failing those children by the industry's lax age-rating system.
Wed 11/04/07 at 13:26
Regular
"eat toast!"
Computer games have become a scape goat for probably more underlining subconscious problems with society today. Probably. But the whole arguement is flawed. How many of these people who hate violent computer games play computer games at all?
Wed 11/04/07 at 13:22
Regular
Martial Arts films used to make me wiolent.
Wed 11/04/07 at 13:21
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Ah i remember the good old days when those things called parents actually took responsibility of their little sprogs and their actions.
Wed 11/04/07 at 13:21
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
I got Quake on PC the very day it was released. At the time, I was aged 7. Well, my brother got it, and I played it. Never made me anymore violent, and I think that was the first game I had ever played which would nowadays be called violent.

As for football, I've never been interested in it the slightest bit.

And I'm safe as houses to be around. :)
Wed 11/04/07 at 11:35
Regular
"AkaSeraphim"
AliBoy wrote:
> Neither.

Agree

Though everyone has it in them to be violent. I think it's just a matter if something kicks it off. I think people tend to blame things on Tv, Video games rather then look in to the real issues. Its easier to blame media etc...

Ive played games like GTA and other violent games. Does not mean that im going to go out on some rampage. Ive watched alot of things on TV doesnt mean im going to go round being violent.
Tue 10/04/07 at 23:53
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Neither.

I don't think kids who are violent mimic anyone in particular - think it's just a combination of things like the area they are brought up in and how educated and disciplined they have been by their parents.

You see all the big stories about knife crime and teenagers being killed - there are also a lot of kids getting involved in more serious crimes such as drugs, gang fights and violent crime.
Near by to where I live a 13 year old was set about on his way home by a bunch of kids with baseball bats who gave him a serious beating - why? - Wrong place at the wrong time.

From my experience it mostly the kids from the poorer backgrounds that are involved with the street fights etc - going by the local news stories it is certainly the rougher areas that experience the attacks, stabbings and kids taking part in fights most nights with all sorts of weapons.
Tue 10/04/07 at 22:32
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
I thought about putting this in Intelligent Discussion, but then decided that not enough of you use that forum who would have an opinion on this, so I shoved it on here instead. Anyway, moving on...

You very often see videogames and consoles being slagged off in the news for influencing kids to do violent things.

Well, just as many kids are interested in football, and even though the violence is often highlighted on the news in these events, they are never associated with childhood violence, despite teh fact that the violence is actually, really happening around the child, not virtually.

So I want your thoughts o nthis. What is more likely to influence kids to use violence? Their football idols whom they mimic because they think they're so great, or their favourite videogame characters because they know they're not real?

Discuss.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.