GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Surreal......"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 20/10/01 at 11:21
Regular
LAst night I was playing Extreme G 3, but with the volume turned down on the telly. Instead I had the fantastic album "Simple Things" by Zero 7 playing.

It was really weird.

The music turned what is normally a mad, frantic game, into what seemed to be a slow paced, my-granny-could-play-it type of game. I won couple of races alot easier than when the in-game music is on. It seemed to slow the game right down.

Other times Ive turned the in-game music down and put my own on was when I played UT. I put some Skid Row (that's proper late 80's, early 90's rock for all you young'uns) on instead.

WOW!

It really complimented that manic action going on within the game.

So, what I want to know is:

What games have you played, where if you put your own music on, it changes the game completely?
Sat 20/10/01 at 21:26
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
Talking about music and games, I love Gran Turismo 3 because of the great music-input. Yes that's right, GT3 isn't all cars and racing, it has great music too.

From the game I like Feeder and Buck Rogers. I like these tunes so much that in the Options menu I set these two songs first in line to be played, whilst racing along the beautifully detailed tracks, then along with other great tunes from the game. If it wasn't for this game I would've never heard such great and catchy songs. Talking about racing games I think that rock music fits in best with them. I mean could you imagine a 'hear'say' tune being played whilst racing, it just doesn't go does it?!

I am also quite fond of turning down the volume of the original music in games (games I've had for quite a while) and blasting my own music. Sometimes you find that the music you're playing fits in better than the original in the game, and all you can do is sit there and wonder "why didn't they put this song in?". But then again it's not the developers' fault, after all they do choose what kind of music they THINK would appeal more to gamers and not what they KNOW, plus we all have our different taste in music.

Could you just imagine a racing game or even any kind of game that didn't have music included, you can't can you? Any game that didn't have music included wouldn't be even classified as a game. Just imagine you're playing an action game like say Soldier of Fortuneand there was no music included, how dull would that be? The whole intensity and interest in the game would immediately vanquish, leaving the player with no other option than to either turn the computer off or insert another game. This is all because music is one of the most important elements and essentials that need to be included in a game, but not just any kind of music of course, music that suits or fits in with the game itself.
It's the same incident with films, you just cannot imagine a blockbuster movie anyway, not to include some sort of music in it. I mean such great films like The Gladiator and The Matrix had such effective music included in their movies, which added a significant effect to the movie, either sad or happy. This is the same issue with every movie nowadays and I don't think it's going to change.

Music is everywhere in the world of entertainment and that is no wonder due to its effectiveness to great storylines in both movies, games and even real life. Just where would anyone or anything be without it? They certainly wouldn't be on this earth!
Sat 20/10/01 at 20:20
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
Well I don't know about changing games but there are bands or songs that when I listen to now just bring back memories of playing games on my N64.

Whenever I listen to I Hope, I Think, I Know on the Be here now album it always reminds of playing on Surface on Goldeneye.

That reminds me, Goldeneye is on TV this week.

:-)
Sat 20/10/01 at 17:16
Regular
"Death to the Infide"
Of course music has an impact on how youy play!

Where would have FFVII been without aeris song to make you cry when she got chopped?

OR without the sitheroth final battle music?

Sound is our secondary sense. It efects us alot, emotionally rather than physically.
Sat 20/10/01 at 15:53
Regular
"Mm reprocessed meat"
Play Mario 64 without any sound, it make's it REALLY hard!
Sat 20/10/01 at 15:48
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
It is strange the way different music gives the game a different feel. I always play games better when I play other music instead of the in-game music.
Sat 20/10/01 at 15:45
Regular
Grix Thraves wrote:
If you want to take a test, and
> you have:

>A gameboy.

Got.

>Tetris.

Yup.

>Headphones.

Uh-huh.

>Ears.

Ah. Slight problem there.

(There was a joke in there somewhere but it couldn't fight its way ut of a damp paper bag...)
Sat 20/10/01 at 15:17
Regular
Heard Zero 7 last night on Later. Nice stuff.

If you want to take a test, and you have:

A gameboy.

Tetris.

Headphones.

Ears.

Then try this. Play tetris with the sound high, with earphones. See how many lines you get.

Now play it with no music. You'll probably get quite a few more lines.

If you think it's because of practising beforehand, then try it the other way round, with no sound first. You'll still notice a big difference.
Sat 20/10/01 at 14:38
"period drama"
you all should try putting the volume right down and the SFX's right up, or the other way round.

it is quite weird.

and playing a game in absaloute silence. spooky.
Sat 20/10/01 at 14:27
Regular
I always turn the music down in GT3 as it's, quite frankly, crap.

Normally I listned to the music in XG 3 though, but I may try other types of my own music, and see if I can get even better at the game...
Sat 20/10/01 at 14:22
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
The other night I put on some speed garage while playing SSX and it improved my speed and skill a lot.. spooky!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.