GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Xbox vs Gamecube (Friend or foe)?"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 20/10/01 at 01:54
Regular
I've been in on all the new games consoles 4 ages, but i can't make up my mind. I'm 14, and i'm gonna buy a new console instead of playing with my worn out N64. But looking at both the XBox and Gamecube(Dolphin) i can't make up my mind which to choose!

XBox:
Comes with 8 titles on release.
Broadband connection.
Brilliant graphics and lighting details.
Court case with MS.
Expensive(£299.99per console and £50.00per game)
Gates: Friend or foe?

Gamecube:
Nintendo started gaming revolution with Mario.
Brilliant graphics and sound details.
Comes out 3days b4 XBox.
No court cases.
Cheaper(£299.99per console and around £35.00per game)
Japan: Friend or foe?

So PLEASE give me your input on this and help me decide how to spend my hard earned cash which i have not used for 5 years!!
Sat 20/10/01 at 01:54
I've been in on all the new games consoles 4 ages, but i can't make up my mind. I'm 14, and i'm gonna buy a new console instead of playing with my worn out N64. But looking at both the XBox and Gamecube(Dolphin) i can't make up my mind which to choose!

XBox:
Comes with 8 titles on release.
Broadband connection.
Brilliant graphics and lighting details.
Court case with MS.
Expensive(£299.99per console and £50.00per game)
Gates: Friend or foe?

Gamecube:
Nintendo started gaming revolution with Mario.
Brilliant graphics and sound details.
Comes out 3days b4 XBox.
No court cases.
Cheaper(£299.99per console and around £35.00per game)
Japan: Friend or foe?

So PLEASE give me your input on this and help me decide how to spend my hard earned cash which i have not used for 5 years!!
Sun 21/10/01 at 14:15
Regular
GAMECUBE GAMECUBE GAMECUBE GAMECUBE GAMECUBE.

No it depends what your tastes are really, i personally am going for the Gamecube, the X Box hasn't really got much that intrests me, there's not enough exclusive top of the range titles to make it worth a purchase.

I would say go for X BOX if you like playing the sort of games you find on the PC, oh and if you want the best graphics.

Or go for Nintendo if your looking for fantastic exclusive games that you won't find on any other system. Star Wars Rogue Leader anyone? The thing about the Gamecube is all the games are aimed at being fun with a capital F (oh dear) if you can look past the some would call kiddy graphics on the games (though I don't think they are) then you will find some of the best games for years.

Oh and do you really want to hand any more of your hard earned cash to the fool that is Bill Gates?
Sun 21/10/01 at 14:31
Regular
"You've upset me"
GameCube.

Oh you got the price of it wrong by the way, it's only gonna cost around 150-200 quid when it's released here!
Sun 21/10/01 at 22:28
Regular
"May Contain Nuts"
Plus when it is released over (gamecube) here they say there is going to be at least 30 games reday 4 release. But they arent all going to be released on day on! The X-box is likely to crash like windows (ooops did I type that)
Fri 26/10/01 at 15:11
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
Buy a Gamecube man!

You know you can guarentee loads of QUALITY games if you do!

:)
Fri 26/10/01 at 20:20
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
Simple:

If you want to play great games, with superb visuals and gameplay to match - get a GameCube.

However, if you want to play games that have the visuals that look barely improved from the first PS2 game, and want to have an awful time playing it too, then I suggest you waste £300 on a VCR-sized black box.

Shameful old Microsoft.

SHOCKY
Fri 26/10/01 at 20:28
The Gamecube seems to be more promising at the moment. I think that I will be getting a Gamecube, mainly because of the cost.

Though I am not going to underestimate the X-Box, it may surprise me yet, it may surprise all of us. Most people have already been crossing this console off there 'Must Get List', but I am not going to jump to conclusions. I still may get one!

Between the Gamecube and the X-Box, I am quite undecided! But I am getting a PS2 at Christmas, but I love Final Fantasy games, so there's no way I am turning my back on them. What a dilemma!
Fri 26/10/01 at 20:34
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
You can't possibly be serious, can you!? You can't decide between the Xbox and GameCube? Right, listen here:

X-Box has released some footage of Malice. What a load of old tosh! The graphics are incredibly 'drab' and poor, it portrays no outstanding graphics the X-Box is said to have and it was, seriously, jolting about every few minutes!

Not to mention the X-Box possibly has the worst game line-up in history! I can't say that there is ONE original/new game there that has even CAPTURED my attention.

GameCube has many. X-box look so big because it's got a bloody hardrive in it. And do you know why it has got a Hardrive in it? Because they wanted to release it with one and so cut production costs - lazy, cheap gits. If Microsoft have so much money, then why don't they design an ATTRACTIVE console, eh?

Blimey! Have I even mentioned how they LIED about the X-Boxs' specs? Crikey, they said it has 700-odd Mhz, when actually, with the game running at full speed, it has 300-odd Mhz - less than a GC. It is said to have the ability to produce 120-something million polygons per second - ha, what a laugh. This figure DRAMATICALLY drops to around 15 million. This may be slightly more than a GC's though, but that's not the point. Microsoft were advertising false figures, figure that were only true WITHOUT essential graphic effects like lighting, shadows, texture, shading, etc...

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if the X-Box was a complete and utter flop. It SHOULD be a disaster, but that's unfortunately not going to happen because they have a certain greedy Bill Gates on their side. He has the money to attract foolish, gullable gamers into his trap. He hands out some false, not accurate figures, in hope that they will grab peoples' attention.

I don't think he has any intention to supply us gamers with new, enjoyable games, his only true, secret intentio is to make more money and promote the Microsoft name to being known even more around the world.

The X-Box's only hope now is for dedicated games' developers; developers that will actually take their time to produce a decent game for it. Mayeb I'm pushing the arguement to the limit here when I say that there are developers hinting that it is tough to develop for the X-Box, and that games will take a long time to complete. EA, I'm sure of this, have yet to plan a game for X-Box - is this right?

This is my opinion. I am totally against X-box and I'm quite obviously a dedicated PS2 and GameCube supporter. Do what you want, Seifer mate.

SHOCKY
Fri 26/10/01 at 20:41
All those statements there are true, but you can't underestimate it. How can you say that it is going to be crap when all that has been seen so far are screen shots? The specifications don't really matter so much as the playability of the games! The games on the X-Box may be more playable and enjoyable than they are on the GameCube.

I also said that I was undecided on what to get, I am still considering which console to get, I can be swayed either way! I am going to wait a bit for the consoles to come out first before I jump to my wallet to pay for the console which is going to revolutionise my gaming world.
Fri 26/10/01 at 20:52
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
Fool.

I haven't JUST been looking at screenshots, you know. Did you read what I put? Obviously not. Because I said FOOTAGE, not screenshots. I have seen the Xbox in action, I have seen it's capabilities and am therefore slightly more informed on Xbox than you, Seifer. The graphics are hardly revolutional and the camera angle is utterly dreadful. I have no doubts whatsoever that playing it will be as much fun as squirting sulphuric acid into your eyes.

Whereas....

The GameCube has had immense praise for it's sublime controller design. It supposedly fits like a PART of your hand. In contrast to that, take a look at the Xbox's controller. Disapproved once or twice at E3, looks incredibly similar to the Dreamcast's design and also uses the same VR thingy.

What lazy gits they are.

SHOCKY

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.