GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why choose now?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 19/10/01 at 13:45
Regular
COnstantly people are talking about which console they are going to buy when the next gen consoles come out. The thing is, why bother choosing now? We honestly don't know how good or bad they will be so is it a wise desicion to decide something which is going to cost you a considerable amount of money?

The turth is we shouldn't decide now. We should wait until we have a better idea of what these consoles are capable of. Take the Ps2 for example. Launch games were mediocre to say the least and we haven't really been shown what the machine is capable of. Its only been recently when we have seen the console shining through with what it is truely capable of and this is fantastic games.

Whewn I think back to its release I was very unimpressed. I was also very amused at how fast the console sold out while I was thinking they were wasting their money on something I didn't really feel was good. Times change and the way developers minds work change as well. Consoles, new ones especially can be very hard to work with. At first the games you are producing will not be up to the standards people are expecting. However once the developers have got used to making the games they will push the machine as far as possible to really impress the gamer.

As I said I was very unimpressed by its release. The thing is now when I see the Ps2 I see a console that is actually very good. Right now there are a few games that are rated very highly by me out and the console has also dropped down to an affordable price of £200. The console I remember from its release is now just a distant shadow and it has been replaced by a console I wouldn't mind owning.

Whats the point of this topic you may ask. Well I want to stress the fact that first impressions shouldn't count so much. As in my experience with the Ps2, some of you may go through the same thing. UNimpressed at first, but impressed later on. For many of us, we have already decided what consoles we want to own, but what did we make this decision on? Past performance as a console manufacturer? Old games that you enjoyed? What is it?

For me it has to be past perfomance as I have decided to choose the GAMECUBE as the next gen console of my choice. I enjoyed the time I had playing my N64 and if the GAMECUBE can inspire the same originality I will be very happy. What worries me is if I have chosen wrong. What happens then? I am stuck with a console that cost a lot of money that I don't like, leaving me with no money or very little to try and repair the damage by buying a new one.

What does happen then? Do we buy new consoles? Do we wait for a new batch of games? Wait a while? Allow the console to get on its feet and allow the developers to push the console to its limits and impress us with a multitude of fantastic titles?

I urge you to choose the final option. If I had bought a Ps2 on release I would be very disapointed, but if I had sold it and then watched what happened I would be so much more disapointed. We have to wait, don't take first impressions seriously, but more importantly don't be biased towards other companies just because of the name of the console they produce.

Thanks for reading <]=o)
MJ
Fri 19/10/01 at 22:30
Regular
DeltaJava wrote:
> If I say the following, will I be killed?

"Yes, I have to agree, the PS2
> is mediocre."

That is all true other than one word.....its not mediocre, it WAS mediocre. I actually quite like the console now.

MJ
Fri 19/10/01 at 22:29
Regular
Your Honour wrote:
> Why do you always put those silly faces at the end of your posts?

Because I enjoy making them up YH so go away and leave my funny face alone.

MJ
Fri 19/10/01 at 21:03
If I say the following, will I be killed?

"Yes, I have to agree, the PS2 is mediocre."

Eh?
Fri 19/10/01 at 21:02
Regular
Why do you always put those silly faces at the end of your posts?
Fri 19/10/01 at 20:45
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Mediocre? GUHUC? Play SSX and TimeSplitters you silly little boy!
Fri 19/10/01 at 20:10
That's a good point. Although the Dreamcast did come close in switching allegiances.
Fri 19/10/01 at 19:55
Regular
"You've upset me"
I've already chosen, and I completed the choosing today. I pre-ordered my GC.

I've always used Nintendo consoles, and have tried others but Nintendo appeals to me the most. So why change?
Fri 19/10/01 at 19:52
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
Im not choosing now you fool :o)

I am... Looking. I will let them all ply console wars for a while and maybe buy the better looking machine.

X-Box... Money is no problem nor is games.. could be a winner, even though you will need another room to play it :D

GameCube.... The new zelda shocked millions, even me. The early shots looked amazing of the new zelda, but all that cartoony stuff is crud! Res evil looks ohhh ohh so good :o)

PS3-5?... Sequals, Sequals, Sequals. It will probably be the winner though :)
Fri 19/10/01 at 18:14
Regular
POP! Read my damn topic :D

MJ
Fri 19/10/01 at 13:55
Regular
Slaveunit wrote:
> The thing is, is that people buy a machine on company reputation. I got a PS2 on
> release day because I had played a PS1, DC and N64, and found the PS1 was the
> one i liked the games for best.

It's better to wait and see the full picture,
> but by the time you've done that, another machine is released and you have to
> start again.

Same reason I have decided to buy a GAMECUBE that. I have played on a Ps1, Ps2, DC and the N64, but the key thing is I enjoyed the N64 much, much more. What I am wondering howvere is if the X-box comes out and ends up dominating the market...what would I do then? I would be pretty much stuck as I am only 15 and spending money on a console is a lot to me. I can't change my mind very easily as £300 doesn't come into my wallet very quickly.

However I am not sure about the X-box. Okay, it has some very good games being released for it, but I think that maybe it is going to run dry. A flurry of great launch games and then it will dry up and get abandoned for a while. Microsoft aren't experienced in the console market as we all know and this could cause problems for them. Not knowing exactly how to market it and attract customers. This is something Sony excel at doing though.

Hook them in and never allow them to escape. Its what made the Ps2 sell out so fast. Many people very happy with their purchase of a Ps1 gave in again and bought a Ps2.

The power of a previous console I say :)

MJ

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.